1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone else dissapointed in the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sl7vk, Jan 12, 2009.

1. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I like the backup camera and use it daily, I do not like the touch-screen at all. I can't operate it without looking at it, which is not a good idea in a car. The steering wheel controls have made it tolerable but I would not miss it. (Except for the camera.)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1

My Prius has nav and I'm not driving around w/the map up most of the time. I only have it up if I'm going somewhere unfamiliar and am being guided by the nav system.

At the event, I put my hand in between where the mirror and speedo display was and (unless my memory is faulty) they still use the mirror. IIRC, the new monochrome MFD did NOT utilize the mirror though. I DO like the fact that the mono MFD is more at eye level than before.

That said, it's a bit of a bummer that the whiz bang color touchscreen LCD is gone unless you buy the nav system. Even if you do get nav, the power flow display and MPG history aren't displayed on the color LCD. I do understand the need to keep costs down for both Toyota and the consumer, esp. given that the tax credits are gone and competition.

Moving the HVAC controls to traditional buttons and displays definitely does make it easier to operate w/o looking. It does take away from the gee whiz factor of the current gen though.

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you like listening to CDs the new MFD is gonna be a motorized fold-out type screen to access the slop.
    Basically they just traded a stand alone cd player for a stand alone a/c

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you but your CD collection(s) onto 4 MP3 CD's (even high bitrate), you'll change CD's much less often, making this a moot point.