1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone making their own soy milk?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by viking31, Oct 27, 2007.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 30 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]532635[/snapback]</div>
    While I'll not minimize the damage these factory farms are doing, here in Minnesota, the DNR has taken a very hard line on what these feed lot operations do with their waste. One such operation is about 8 miles from our place. He didn't think he should do anything to contain the cattle waste (this is a beef operation), good Republican all the way, no gove-mnt interference whith him and his making money. Well, the first time he heard from the DNR (Department of Natural Recources) it was a warning and 30 days to com into compliance, 30 days later when nothing changed, it was a HEAFTY fine. That wipped him into shape for a while, but 6 months later he was again in violation, this time the fine made the first one look like pocket change, and a court order stating that any further violations would get him a month long vacation at a nice state run facility. He seems to have finally gotton the picture :D

On the other side of the fence there is this operation about 12 miles from us in a different direction. They have expanded a number of times in the past few years and judging by appearance are doing better than any of the factory farms

When you buy dairy products however, I would advise anyone to look for products that come from animals raised without bovine growth harmone (rbST), this brings the factory operations out of the picture, plus your not getting any of the whatevers come with the rbST, this should be indicated on the carton.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we do. we pay $3.99 a half gallon for no-fat organic milk

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How did somatic cell come to equal pus? Somatic cells are the organism's cells which happen not to be reproductive or stem cells. Yeah, they could be in pus, but pus also contains, and what the term refers to, lysed cells and pathogens. A heathly orgamism is also shedding somatic cells on a regular basis. Cells ending up in a glandular secretion isn't a shocking occurance. The mammary gland has a rich blood supply. Some blood leaking into the milk is going to happen.

Cheese is milk that has gone bad. Extra pus probably improves it.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShellyT @ Oct 31 2007, 07:33 AM) [snapback]532891[/snapback]</div>
    I think if I had my 'druthers I'd take my cheese without pus, if you don't mind. :(

5. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 30 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]532558[/snapback]</div>
    I don't happen to be an activist of any kind but if I was, I guess I'd have to expect a defensive reaction from people that are willing to disregard the unsustainability of factory milk and meat farming and how it is detrimental to people, livestock and the planet.

You claim I have a self-rightous and superior attitude for simply pointing out the fact that milk and meat consumption is, on balance, immoral and unhealthy and the production of both is unsustainable. To say it has a shady side is putting it mildly.

In the 1500s there certainly wasn't anything inherently wrong with eating meat or dairy, but because of our numbers and because of poor regulations, it has become inherently wrong to participate in the unsustainable aspects of our food generation and distribution system.

I'd still like someone to try to explain how somebody can logically rationalize trying to live sustainably with regards to transportation but not care about the unsustainability of their food choices.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Oct 31 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]533053[/snapback]</div>
    You see this as an absolute. My defensivness arises not from my inability to rationalize the conflict b/w my decisions about cars vs food. It doesn't. It arises from the fact that you see this in such a self-rightous know it all, matter of fact way AND that you feel it necessary to impose your beliefs upon me.

Things are not as black and white as you'd like to believe and have others believe. It they were life would, indeed, be very simple. You wanna start a cause to improve the sustainablity of meat and clean up the production process...I'm with ya. But I'm not going to just say "it's bad so I'm not eating it"...you're doomed to fail with a plan like that.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    somatic cells are immune cells and epithelial cells that normally are present in secretory fluids like milk. not necessarily the same thing as pus, which is pretty much the end product of the immune reaction to an infection.

8. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 31 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]533081[/snapback]</div>

Telling you you're wrong is not imposing my beliefs on you. That's not imposing in the least. I have no power over you. If you don't want to hear opinions contrary to your own then why are you participating on this board? I guess to not be called a self-righteous, know it all I'd just have to agree with you.

And I don't need a plan for making the meat/milk industry sustainable. You do, since you want to consume milk and meat. i.e. The burden is on you to justify/improve the system. Good luck - given the amount of water (way too much) the industry consumes and the amount of waste and CO2 that factory farms produce.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Oct 31 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]533121[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I left out the word "try".
    Ah, but you do need a plan since your current strategy will attract more enemies than allies to your chosen cause.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well mangaged pasture farms do sequester a lot of carbon. they take a lot of work, a variety of animals and perfect timing to pull it off. a book that describes the process in detail is "The Onmivore's Delimma".

first a cow grazes a pasture, cows to keep from damaging the grass too much are moved every other day. during the two days, the eat, poop, move on.

three days later, chickens are placed in pasture, where they root thru the dung piles digging for maggots laid by flies which are just starting to hatch, the chickens while digging for the maggots, spread the manure around while laying their own nitrogen rich manure which feeds the grass allowing the grass to grow at its optimum rate.

now there is a lot more to this than what im saying, but basically grasses want to balanced between the amount above the ground and below the ground. so when a cow eats a third of the above ground grass, about that same amount of root will be shed to maintain the balance enriching the soils sequestering carbon in the soils. when grasses are ripped up by the cows, it takes about 4-5 days for the grass to recover and start growing again... right about the time the chickens are moved out. so goes the cycle.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well mangaged pasture farms do sequester a lot of carbon. they take a lot of work, a variety of animals and perfect timing to pull it off. a book that describes the process in detail is "The Onmivore's Delimma".

first a cow grazes a pasture, cows to keep from damaging the grass too much are moved every other day. during the two days, the eat, poop, move on.

three days later, chickens are placed in pasture, where they root thru the dung piles digging for maggots laid by flies which are just starting to hatch, the chickens while digging for the maggots, spread the manure around while laying their own nitrogen rich manure which feeds the grass allowing the grass to grow at its optimum rate.

now there is a lot more to this than what im saying, but basically grasses want to balanced between the amount above the ground and below the ground. so when a cow eats a third of the above ground grass, about that same amount of root will be shed to maintain the balance enriching the soils sequestering carbon in the soils. when grasses are ripped up by the cows, it takes about 4-5 days for the grass to recover and start growing again... right about the time the chickens are moved out. so goes the cycle.

12. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 31 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]533206[/snapback]</div>
    Again, I'm not an activist on this or any other issue. There is no strategy. I'm just a regular guy that's read some. The only persuading I've done is limited to a few posts on this board. So I don't have a cause as such, I just know the facts and simply make appropriate choices at home. I don't intend on making friends or enemies over this issue.

It's odd to me that you think that a person that doesn't eat much meat or milk must be some kind of crusader.

I have sent the odd letter to my MLAs and MPs about making plug-in hybrids a priority. I care about global warming a great deal and that's a major reason why I'm not for cows. That and heart disease and other lifestyle diseases.

It's clear to me that, like with oil, eventually, the externalities of unsustainable food business practices will be internalized and the actual cost of meat and milk production will be reflected in the price.

If meat and milk were raised sustainably the price would certainly skyrocket. Enjoy the cheapness while you can.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to come see the dairy farms of South Australia. It isn't like that here. The only feed a farmer gives his cows is some hay in the milking shed or in times of bad drought, otherwise they eat from padocks of grass. Cows are not kept in barns here. I know this because I live very near dairy farms and work in the hub of the transport industry. Growth hormones are banned although there is some use of antibiotics maybe. An increasing number of farms local to me are gaining organic farm accreditation.

14. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Nov 1 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]533286[/snapback]</div>
    Now that sounds like progress. Goog on ya mate!