1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone sorry they bought a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunshine62704, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love it. It is a great car, well designed, and fun to drive. It's been 4 months and I am still in love.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, good place to ask the question ... where Prius owners come to hang out and chat about their rides. Still ....

If you are unhappy, send me a PM with how much you want for your obviously, inferior, dangerous, expensive <other derogatory term> Prius.

Bob Wilson:rolleyes:

3. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is unlikely that you will regret your purchase, unless you did it strictly to save money in the long run. If the decision was based on a financial analysis alone, comparing potential fuel savings/mileage and sticker price with lower priced cars, then I don't think you will be satisfied. But if, like with most Prius owners, you based the decision on a more comprehensive view of great fuel economy, low emissions, high technology, design, and encouragement/support of alternative vehicle technologies, then you made the right decision. When I decided to buy mine over two years ago, I was comparing against similarly-priced alternatives (rather than, say, the Corolla), so it made more sense from a fuel savings perspective.

For me it was more about encouraging the manufacturer that had committed itself so effectively to starting to solve the problem rather than to keep creating new problems (e.g., American manufacturers who keep making more and more of the same gas-guzzling crap). As I see it, saving money on gas is the "gift that keeps on giving" for making that decision.

- Doug

P.S. Oh, and if you aren't satisfied, it's entirely possible right now that you could turn around and immediately sell it for at least what you paid for it. It's a complete win-win scenario, so rest easy.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Like many others, my only regret is not buying one sooner;)
    My wife bought one. I was shocked at how roomy it was. 4 months later when I needed a car I bought one too:)

5. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    after two plus years of owning this car... I just love it more and more.. fyi.. this tank of gas is averaging 58+ mpg... and I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the times when I'm moving or not moving and the gas engine isn't running at all

6. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another vote for sorry I didn't buy it sooner.
    Also sorry that Detroit is so late coming to the dance, and I hope they can survive the transition.:fish2:

7. Happy_2008_PriusPkg2Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As my "handle" says, I'm a happy 2008 red pkg2 Prius owner since last October or November. Love the 60mpg at 55mph.

I'm waiting for two (2) new 2009 Priuii... wife's sold & wants to get out of her 2006 Accord. My only problem is how to line up a sale of this 2008 Prius so its timed to the arival of the new cars in a few months. (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!)

My only gripe is the fuzzy seat material. It gets dirty and it induces what I call "pants creep"... I have to CONSTANTLY get my pants and shirt BACK down where they belong.

I traded in a 2007 Jetta 2.5 with standard perforated Leatherette vinyl seat material IMHO the greatest seat material ever conceived for an automobile. Wish Toyota would start doing an identical quality Leatherette but they'd never sell another real leather car if they did - so profit rules.

I predict you'll love your new Prius.

8. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wish I had bought one sooner.

9. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    sorry I didn't buy one instead of the Jaguar back in 2003.

10. bushface

bushface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had mine 14 weeks and wish I had bought it earlier, You read that before. Already have over 10000 miles (work and long trips).

11. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Only one problem so far-my wife keeps trying to take it away.
    We have to have a van-hers.
    Wish I had two Pri!!

12. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :cool:My wife has taken over control of the Prius. I have be relegated to the Lexus;)

13. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    there is some aspects of the prius i dislike.

1. the driver's side car seat should be more adjustable.
    2. roll down the back window going a decent speed, say 45 MPH and you get a
    whoop whoop noise that bothers me.
    3. roll down the drivers side window for just a moment while it is lightly raining, stopped
    raining, to order fast food, etc... and water tumbles right in, in certain areas. Same when
    washing the windows and you forget you have your window cracked open a bit with
    no AC on.
    4. chips/scratches so easily. easier then any car I have ever owned. I am doing ok though since i am being uber careful.
    5. silly stickers on the window sun visors that are simply ugly. I do not dare try to remove
    them effectively without destroying the visor.
    6. i could probably think of some more things but i have chores to do!

;-)

14. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I'm very sorry I bought one.

Honestly, if I'd known then what I know now about the Toyota Prius...

I would have desperately attempted to buy two.

But....

Only in leather and with package #6.

(Interestingly, most posts I've read don't complain about how mechanically or electrically bad the car is or how bad it's in operation. I think this is because Toyota designed, tested and built a well thought out car. People will always niggle over the other issues, seat adjustability, how much gas can they put in the bladder, small rear windshield wiper, etc. Clearly to the greatest population these are not deal breakers nor do they make a bad car. If you, dear reader, think there is one perfect car made for everyone, please let us know, we're dying to buy it.)

ZC1

15. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know some people are not happy with a Prius or got rid of it, but that is just a few. They were expecting the thing to fly or be more exciting. I think it is exciting to use less gas and in the same time better for the environment.

16. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only sorry the fully PHEVs (2012?) are not here yet. I have a big smile just thinking about my Prius, and an equally large smile driving it and earning good fuel efficiency (52+ mpg)

17. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius Chat serves to educate the Prius consumer or buyer, have links to purchase neat stuff, and provide unlimited support to the many neurotic owners that understand that we are driving the most sophisticated technology on the road today.....and its all wrapped up in a cute little non-assuming package. Aside from the Prius culture, its the most widely misunderstood car on the road. At one time I also thought the battery dies after 3 years and the replacement costs $6000.00.
    You have heard it from others, and its all true, you can drive the most impressive sports or luxurious car for $50,000.00 +...Its a great ride but it doesn't hold a candle to the technology in your little Prius.
    Enjoy the ride. Prius owners are like the Cat that ate the canary. They know they got a great deal, love their cars and don't know when they're gonna get discovered.

18. FJD

FJD New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We purchased a 2005 Prius. It gets about 42 MPG and it is a very nice car to drive. Last year the Brake Actuator Assembly failed and had to be replaced under warranty. In July of this year it failed again at 3 years and 2 months with only 32,000 miles on it. We were quoted $2,600 to repair it. Under protest a $600.00 compromise was reached. The tires are wearing sooner than expected. So are we happy? not right now. If you asked this question last month it would have been a resounding Yes.

19. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ditto

my car only has 36,000 miles on it, and its a 2007 and its really too soon to be considering spending $700 for 3m plastic bra installation don't you think. my first bare to the metal dings happened in the first 5,000 miles

i also had to buy new tires at 35,000 miles because all the tires were all uniformally down to 4 mm, i still feel toyota and bridgestone burned me on that one

10-15 years ago toyota used to have a brand new car warranty, where they would cover practically everything in the first 1500 or something miles, i forgot exactly. and i used it once to get some steel rims repainted free of charge.

and now if i come back with a brand new car and have problems in the first couple months, i am left out in the cold

20. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ditto for two and three -- I had forgotten about #2 because I was so alarmed that I never rolled just the back windows down again.