1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is better to buy a higher mileage Gen 3 for ~12-13k or a lower mileage Gen 3 for ~16k+?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by i<3theventurafwy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. i<3theventurafwy

i<3theventurafwy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thank you everyone for the input. I looked at 12 different sources for car valuation and they ran the gamut from 6900 to 9100, with an average of 7800, so I think it's safe to conclude that the car is probably a little bit overpriced. I do live in an area, as noted earlier in the thread, that is known to be higher than the national average, but even so it does seem high. I think when I discuss it with them I'll ask how they arrived at the price they arrived at, seeing as most valuation sites have a lower number, and see if we can get it down to a nice middle ground between that average and what they're asking?

The car was purchased in a CARB state and was never registered outside of a CARB state. Can I safely assume without calling that it applies?

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Personally, I'd stick with not paying over KBB value. If you do pursue a middle ground, then start with trade in value. If you get in an accident, you're not going to get above book value. My last two cars were totaled and I received checks from the insurance companies somewhat based on the cars value- not what I paid for it. Now, if there is an aftermarket sound system, or other value added mods, then that's another story.

2. I'd say that qualifies for CARB. Before I purchased my Prius, I called Toyota North America and asked questions. They registered myself as a future owner and logged my questions for future reference.