1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is buying a Prius with a rebuilt engine a good idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pixelsandphotons, Aug 16, 2017.

1. pixelsandphotons

pixelsandphotons New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been scouring this lovely site for a few months trying to make the most informed decision on buying a used Prius. My budget is around $7k and I'm looking for a Prius between 2009 and 2012.

I found a 2010 on craigslist with ~103,000 miles for $7200 but it has a rebuilt engine. Is that a major cause for concern? I know oil consumption/head gasket problems are common with this model year so I'm wondering if I should avoid a rebuilt engine since it's already failed once before 100,000 miles or if this is actually a good thing because it's a newer engine. Seems logically sound, but there may be something I'm not thinking through here. It has not been disclosed how many miles this new engine has and I haven't asked for the VIN yet to run it's maintenance records/carfax report. Just wanted to know if further research is even warranted or if I should stay far, far away from anything with a rebuilt engine.

Anyone have any tips/concerns? Thanks for your time, I'm very excited to join the Prius family soon!

Side note: I know the risk that having such a limited budget presents, however, my partner and I are into DIY car repair (he has an 83 Volvo he is fixing up and I help him out with most of the repairs both major and minor) so I'm not opposed to learning how to do most repairs and regular maintenance myself or with his help. I'm okay with having to fix minor issues and doing preventative maintenance when the right car comes along. I plan on (lovingly and gently) driving my Prius til it disintegrates.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

only if you can't get proper documentation. a properly rebuilt engine would be a good thing. but a shade tree job might be a problem down the road.
    you can input the vin at the toyota owners website for all dealer maintenance. and repair.

#2 bisco, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    pixelsandphotons likes this.
  3. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Obtaining and reviewing the Carfax is an excellent idea. If all else appears to be good and an inspection by a Prius savvy mechanic appears good it is a vehicle you might consider.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pixelsandphotons likes this.
  4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For me, I think a lot would depend on why the engine was rebuilt, and who rebuilt it. If you have some sort of a warranty on the rebuild, that would be a plus. The price seems reasonable.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would question the seller closely on why the original failed and ask for all receipts of the work done. I found the car on your local CL and based on the pics of the interior alone it looks to me like poor upkeep.

Personally for $7k, I'd look for the best condition '09 I could find. For instance, there's a real cream puff in Dallas 200 miles away for $8800. He's leaving the country so if the timing is right, a significant price drop may occur if you show up with cash. Just sayin'.

6. pixelsandphotons

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point, I may check that Dallas one out. Thanks for your input!

7. pixelsandphotons

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank goodness for Toyota d0t c0m slash owners amirite? I have like three vehicles saved there already. It's great. Seller hasn't gotten back to me yet so I'm still waiting on the VIN. Thanks for your input!

bisco likes this.