1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Carista App, OBD2 tool, and subscription worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SEAN MURRAY, Aug 2, 2020.

1. SEAN MURRAY

SEAN MURRAY New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is Carista worth the $30 tool cost and $40 a year subscription?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Free apps are widely available that has the same capabilities is larista. They do have a great marketing team that sneaks up on unsuspecting prospective customers.

3. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No need for the yearly subscription since they give you your first 30 days free when you buy the Carista OBD2 plug. 30 days is plenty to change settings on your car and go back if you want to. And you can still use it to read codes I believe after the subscription expires.

I have it and I really like it. I changed the backup beep, lower the beep for the parking sensors, turned off the rear seatbelt so I could put a bag or a box on the backseat without a beep (left the fronts on). It made the car a lot more friendly to use.

Johnny Cakes and SEAN MURRAY like this.
  4. SEAN MURRAY

SEAN MURRAY New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m looking for an app that will tell me my tire pressures and has tpms sensor relearn capabilities. The Carista YT video showed it could with paid “Pro” subscription. Do you know of one that can do this?

I’m trying to trouble shoot my TPMS tire sensors. I thought of buying the $120 Autel TPMS tool with $30 sensors per tire. I also found out Costco will reprogram the sensors for free if I install them myself no Autel tool to buy. Or, Costco will put on new sensors at a charge $40 a tire at the time I purchase new tires, but that could be 2-3 years from now. I am “Covid bored” and looking to see if I can solve this at home.

#4 SEAN MURRAY, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you already own OBDII dongle compatible with the Carista app you do not have to buy a new one. I have used OBDLink LX I already had and used the Carista app successfully free for 30 days. I checked its diagnostic capability and used the customization feature, but in the end, I concluded that it was not worth keeping the subscription. The cost was zero $ to me.

6. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What David9962000 said.

Once you make a decision on whether you want the backup beep, and all the other options that Carista can change, its probably not like you are going to change your mind later and say, "You know, I really miss that annoying beep." So 30 days for free is fine, then cancel.

I had an OBDII Bluetooth dongle but it was not compatible with the Carista app, so they did get me there.

Be a hero -- I talked to my friends and set options for a bunch of my friends during my free month.

David9962000 likes this.
  7. SEAN MURRAY

SEAN MURRAY New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I was able to replace the batteries 3 of 4 of my tire sensors myself with simple soldering and silicone glue. I purchased a used tpms reader to determine 1 sensor needed to be replaced and cloned from the original. The yellow light is gone forever! Thank you everyone for your input.

Salamander_King likes this.