1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is circumcision "a bizarre American custom"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Punkinann

Punkinann Junior Member

One of my friends is Jewish; her partner was raised Catholic.

When she was pregnant, I asked them, "If it's a boy, are you going to get him circumcised?"
    My friend answered "yes" at the same moment that her partner said, "No!"

Then they looked at each other for a minute, and said "We'll have to talk about it."
    They are both female, so neither had personal experience to draw on.

It was a boy, and he was not circumcised.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]272947[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I find this hard to believe...

;)

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 18 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]273010[/snapback]</div>
    it might be hard for you to believe it but that does not mean it is not true

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]273019[/snapback]</div>
    Of course...

Perhaps a better word would have been "skeptical"...

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]272947[/snapback]</div>

LOL let me refrase that, what I've HEARD.. :mellow:

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]272947[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Maggie, this doesn't make any sense to me at all anatomically or physiologically. Yeast infections occur in areas that are warm, moist and poorly ventilated, the area under the foreskin easily fits this description.

I did a very quick search for articles backing my assumption but found only this cutsey Q&A thing from the MayoClinic web site:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-yeas...fection/HO00172

I would be quite interested in any studies supporting your claim to the contrary.

7. TwelveInchPrius

TwelveInchPrius New Member

Does circumcision contribute to greater potential length in the penis? :huh:

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 18 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]273211[/snapback]</div>
    I think what we may have here is a case of a position strongly held that makes any objection to it untenable. We're used to it in political and religious discussions, but if I'm right, this is the first time I've seen it held by a woman in a discussion on circumcision!

I did have a guy proclaim how much he missed his foreskin, how much he hated his parents for multilating him, and how he really wanted his insurance to pay for restoration (this was before the Internet, on the RelayNet Men's Conference, where some men's rights advocates hung out). He was the only one I remember who held such a strong opinion on it.

I suspect all the differences we're hearing about, from cleanliness to sensitivity are not enough to tip the scales either way. At least not enough to formulate a social policy with the force of law backing it up.

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

12.1inchprius B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TwelveInchPrius @ Jun 18 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]273215[/snapback]</div>

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 18 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]273211[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, my statement was in response to priusguy04 who stated that uncircumcised men "could get yeast infection". My response meant to show that circumcised men could get yeast infection as well. I have indeed read a study on this subject prior to posting my response. I also searched for studies showing that circumcised men get less yeast infections but all I found was that they have less symptoms but not less infections.
    Just wanted to point out that his argument in support of circumcision is a bit silly as at best studies might be inconclusive.
    I am not an expert in this particular area but here is what I found:
    http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/STD/donovan1/
    http://www.cirp.org/library/disease/STD/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2&dopt=Abstract

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]273290[/snapback]</div>
    Your original quote was that they get them equally. I didn't find much of value on this exact subject in the first two links, but the third did, indeed, show a tiny study that suggests what you state...approximately equal carrier rates but higher symptom rates in uncirc. men.

I hit the link for related articles and there really were no other ones of use. And the Donovan guy seems to be the only person looking at this (which always worries me as to whether there could be a bias introduced), I always prefer to see multiple studies.

Anyway, it's good enough for me to back off my degree of confidence a little. Thanks for the links.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 19 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]273304[/snapback]</div>
    Evan,
    The link you provided to the Mayo clinic had a statment that uncircumcised men are at higher risk of getting yeast infections. The first link I provided meant to refute that:

"It has been suggested that uncircumcised men are at higher risk of certain sexually transmissible diseases (STDs), in particular genital herpes,1,2 gonorrhoea,1 syphilis,1 human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection,3 candidiasis1,2 and chancroid.3 The evidence for male circumcision protecting against most STDs is tentative4 but is strong for chancroid and candidal balanoposthitis (though not necessarily subclinical yeast infection5). In some populations where chancroid and syphilis may be the common causes of genital ulcers, these ulcers and the uncircumcised state of the men (both independently and synergistically) appear to be major risk factors for the female to male sexual transmission of HIV-1.3 The uncircumcised penis is hypothetically at increased risk of STDs because of larger surface area, thinner epidermal barrier, more opportunity for epithelial microtrauma and the warm, moist niche under the foreskin favouring the persistence of fastidious microorganisms. However, none of these hypotheses has been proven. We sought to determine any effect the presence of a male foreskin may exert on the acquisition of common STDs by heterosexual men attending an STD clinic and also its effect on the clinical manifestations of herpes simples virus type 2 (HSV-2) infection."

This goes on explaining about how this study was performed. It does not indeed state that yeast infections are equally common in circumcised and uncimcurcised men, but neither did your link state otherwise. It just said that uncircumcised men are at higher risk of getting yeast infections but nothing about uncircumcised men getting it more often.
    And yes, you are right that one study is probably not enough, that's why I stated that this might be inconclusive. Also, I was unable to locate a study study proving your point, but that does not mean that they don't exist.

Anyway, I found this interesting. This is on circumcision in general:

AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN, Vol 54, No. 4, pages 1216-1217,
    September 15, 1996.

Letters to the Editor

AAFP Fact Sheet on Neonatal Circumcision: A Need for Updating

TO THE EDITOR: Several recently published studies demonstrate the need for complete revision of the American Academy of Family Physicians "Fact Sheet for Physicians Regarding Neonatal Circumcision."[1] Any physician caring for infant boys should investigate other sources.

Recent retrospective studies[2] have estimated the neonatal circumcision complication rate to be more than five times higher than reported in the fact sheet. The complication rate is significantly higher than that reported for postneonatal circumcision.

The number of circumcised men developing penile cancer has been increasing. Of 110 cases of penile cancer, 41 (37 percent) were circumcised, with 22 (20 percent) having been circumcised in the newborn period.[3] Genital warts and smoking were the strongest predictors of penile cancer. Data from Denmark indicate that the incidence of penile cancer is lower in Denmark than in the United States. Approximately 1.6 percent of Danish men are circumcised. The incidence of penile cancer has been declining for the past 50 years in Denmark.[4]

The statement "Virtually all sexually transmitted diseases occur more frequently among uncircumcised men" may no longer be true. Recent studies have demonstrated that circumcised men are at increased risk of contracting gonorrhea, syphilis and genital warts.[5,6] Men are at equal risk for developing human papillomavirus lesions and herpesvirus infections regardless of circumcision status.[3,7] At least four studies have shown human immunodeficiency virus infection to occur more commonly in circumcised men.[8]

If linear regression analysis is applied to the relationship between circumcision rates and the prevalence of acquired immunodeficency syndrome in industrialized countries (using 1994 World Health Organization data) and weighted for population, a strongly positive correlation between circumcision and the prevalence of AIDS is found. While this does not prove that circumcision is a risk factor for AIDS, it is clear that the circumcision experiment in the United States did not prevent the spread of the infection.

It is now believed that neonates perceive stimuli to be more painful than older infants. The impact of a painful experience may have long-term ramifications. A recent study demonstrated that boys circumcised in the neonatal period cried longer and harder after their first set of immunizations.[9]

Finally, the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Bioethics recently cast doubt on whether a physician can ethically perform neonatal circumcisions.[10] Since a newborn is not competent, neither informed consent nor patient assent can be obtained. Likewise, parental permission is only accceptable in situations where medical intervention has a clear and immediate necessity, such as disease, trauma, or deformity. Routine circumcision does not satisfy these requirements. The committee suggests that in nonessential treatments, which could be deferred without substantial risk, the physician and family wait until the child's consent can be obtained. Without proper consent, the delineation between performance of neonatal circumcision and assault and battery becomes indistinct.[11]

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 18 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]273290[/snapback]</div>
    maggieddd':
    statement was in response to priusguy04 who stated that uncircumcised men "could get yeast infection". My response meant to show that circumcised men could get yeast infection as well. I have indeed read a study on this subject prior to posting my response. I also searched for studies showing that circumcised men get less yeast infections but all I found was that they have less symptoms but not less infections.

MY statment was that uncircumcised men are more likely to get a yeast infection than a circumcised man

Some just like to argue their point, I'll stand behind or becide a certified Doctors word regarding this subject. <_<

Its kinda like the lie that Condoms protect you from stds, yes they may protect your wrapped member but what if the other person is having an out break in their pubic area see they dont tell ya about that in class in school.. I have a friend that caught HPV that way.. :blink: :huh:

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And an intact woman is more likely to get breast cancer than one who's had a mastectomy. But that's a long way from an argument that one should start chopping breasts off routinely without consent as a preventative measure.

(Although some women do this of their own choice where they've got a high probability of breast cancer due to their genetics).

I find some of these arguments a little odd. It's like you're starting from an a priori position that you want to chop bits of your children's genitals off, without being stuck on a sex offenders register, so you start rooting around for tenuous medical advantages for your little perversion.

Anyway, if you want to modify their genitals, why not something less drastic? How about a nice piercing? That way you could be equal opportunity and do it to your female children too.

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]273347[/snapback]</div>
    how does this statement:
    "But seeing an uncut one was different and the guys would say they had to clean it do to oil build up, residual urine & sweat or else it would smell and or they could get yeast infections"
    show that uncircumcised men are more likely to get yeast infection?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 19 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]273346[/snapback]</div>
    Maggie,
    I'm a little unclear if your diatribe is directed at me or just intended to extend the topic, but since you put my name at the top it seems the former.

Let me be clear. I understand what you're trying to do and say about yeast infections in men. I stated that the final reference was the only one I found helpful in the least. The first two are summaries and refer to other articles that make statements but are not actual research about the subject. That's why medical articles must be carefully evaluated.

Again, your last Donovan article is OK evidence supporting your contention, but it is far from definative with the tiny patient population. I don't even know if it was a fair cross section or if there was selection bias. A much larger study (over 1800 patients) showed a 5X increased risk of candida in uncircumcised men. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Finally, whether you or I are correct is irrelevant to my stance on circumcision. I still think it's a parental choice but agree that there is little or no medical evidence to support it's routine practice. And I have serious issues with a lot of AAP policy. They have a long history of making up policy based upon general concensus rather than scientific evidence. The Bioethical arguement is reasonable, but gets a little shakey when you start considering things like ear piercing in kids, hair cuts, orthodontics, etc. Parents are responsible for making decisions for kids that affect many things in their future that are not of immediate import and I think circumcision is a reasonable one to include here.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 19 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]273364[/snapback]</div>
    Evan,
    Sorry the first part was directed to you. The rest was just to extend on the topic. I should have put it in a separate post.

19. dipper

dipper Senior Member

So American men are a dirty group? J/K.

Guess some parents need to be taught how to clean their boys little "p" before chopping it off. :))