1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is circumcision "a bizarre American custom"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 15, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And an intact woman is more likely to get breast cancer than one who's had a mastectomy. But that's a long way from an argument that one should start chopping breasts off routinely without consent as a preventative measure.

(Although some women do this of their own choice where they've got a high probability of breast cancer due to their genetics).

Breast cancer is another issue not to be taken lightly, But If a woman has a masectomy and has the other breast moved to the center of her chest to offset the missing breast.. Does this make her a Breasty-clops??
    :ph34r:

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]273622[/snapback]</div>
    My wife's sister, mother, and two of her aunts have had breast cancer in the last few years- fortunately, all have been in remission. What the hell is so funny about a woman having a mastectomy? You are sick.

3. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

words from a girl I know:

"it looks weird enough circumsized, but uncircumsized is just down right freaky."

another girl

"I asked my grandmother what it was, she told me to google image it, all I can say is eww, I didn't even know they came uncut."

There, if it's bizarre,so be it, but the chicks prefer the cleaner neater version.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

damn, you are one ANGRY poster! I rarely read one of your posts where you don t call someone an, idiot, sick, a hole, etc... :lol: Yet more supporting evidence that peaceful liberal is an oxyMORON. :lol:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 19 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]273366[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]273420[/snapback]</div> from a professional standpoint i'm far more likely to believe the Entrez links (actual research papers) than some writeup for the general public.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Maggie on this one. Yeast is transmissible even if the male partner isn't symptomatic. Some things are like that some aren't so I can see why you'd be confused.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 20 2006, 05:51 AM) [snapback]273990[/snapback]</div>
    No, I'm not an angry person- actually, I'm just the opposite. But I don't share your sense of humor that it's funny when people get cancer, get blown up in explosions, etc. And I won't even respond to MS accusing me of "name calling"- he called me a Nazi at least three times in this forum.
    But I'll tell you what I will do. I will forward your "breasty-clops" joke to my sister-in-law, who went through the better part of a year undergoing chemo and radiation and had a mastectomy (no, she didn't have her remaining breast put in the center of her chest so that she could be a "breasty-clops"; she elected to have breast reconstruction.) If she laughs at your joke, then I will apologize for offending your tender sensibilities.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius04--tasteless/inconsiderate
    larkinmj--overreactive
    People deal with different things in different ways, sometimes those ways are not understood or appreciated by others. Prius04, I think an apology for the tasteless attempt at humor is in order, larkinmj, a deep breath and some Yanni is my prescription for you.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 20 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]274085[/snapback]</div>
    Yanni? Sorry doc, I usually respect your advice, but when it comes to music, patients might well be advised to seek a "second opinion"! :lol:

BTW, I rarely lose my temper- in or out of chat rooms, and certainly less than 1% of my posts have used words such as "sick" or "idiot"- but those few occasions were in response to particularly offensive remarks by either Prius04 or Squid, so I can understand why they might think that those few instances constitute a more than an insignificant fraction of my posts.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 20 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]274087[/snapback]</div>

Prius04, I think an apology for the tasteless attempt at humor is in order.
    Ok ok , I apologize I do have a slightly warped sence of humor And wasnt making fun Of people with breast cancer.... instead of getting angry just lighten up and float larkinmj or be like a duck and let it roll off your back ;)

Prius04--tasteless/inconsiderate/misunderstood
    larkinmj--overreactive

People deal with different things in different ways, sometimes those ways are not understood or appreciated by others. Geeze Evan this statment sounds like something my wife would say (except she cant take me anywhere would be in there some where) :lol:.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

i admit, i have a real f'ed up sense of humor, at least from SOME people s standpoint, y all can kiss larky s arse if y all don t like it!

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 19 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]273833[/snapback]</div>
    Dude are you always angry? If so get the cut or uncut version out for a walk. Geeeeeez...

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Jun 20 2006, 03:43 AM) [snapback]274000[/snapback]</div>
    Dudette are you also angry all the time please see reply to larkinmj for a mutual solution.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 20 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]274046[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is just plain cruel but expected. No surprise.

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 20 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]274441[/snapback]</div>
    I like it!

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 15 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]362817[/snapback]</div>
    I read that, starts a whole new twist doesn't it. Awhile back I read an article breaking down some of the Old Testament religious medical/health practices. It's conclusion was there was a bit of good behind them.

17. Black2006

Black2006 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 16 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]363136[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, some in Egypt were practicing ritual circumcision before there was an Old Testament, so it is more than likely the custom pre-dates the authors of the OT (who of course made it into a central part of the Covenant.)

Regarding the various African studies appearing in the popular press, there is actually a great deal of controversy about their methodology (unreliable self-reporting, "dry-sex" customs, etc.,) and about the political/religious and financial pressures driving them. Moreover, several of them, and most of these with arguably better methodology, have shown either no difference, or slightly higher infections among circumcised men (Malawi and a couple of others?)

Using raw numbers, one could just as easily argue, if looking at Europe and America, that circumcision is actually more likely to facilitate the HIV epidemic. Because the US is the only Western country where circumcision is wide-spread (just over 70%), it is easy to compare with Europe, where circumcision is rare (except England, where it is about 20 or so percent.) While presumably the sexual customs and practices are fairly similar between the two, HIV infections in the US are about three times more prevalent than in Europe.

As to the various "health reasons" mythology propagated by proponents of circumcision, many of those were born in the 1800s in Germany, where some progressives within the Jewish community attacked the religious custom as barbaric, and the counter-atack supported by some in the Jewish medical community was seeking "scientific" arguments (which claimed benefits from better hygiene, to the prevention of bed-wetting, to the prevention of alcoholism!) All this was also picked up by some of the more religious nuts in Britain and the US, who's focus was mainly on preventing the sin of masturbation (which was also blamed for posing severe health risks.)

For the record, circumcision is the most common male surgical procedure in the US, providing several billion dollars per year for new cars and holiday houses for some in the medical community, which is a powerful incentive for its perpetuation:)

Here is some "fun" reading..., ouch:)

http://www.cirp.org/library/