1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is cruise control linked to combination meter at all?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SuzieB, Oct 27, 2022.

1. SuzieB

SuzieB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2009 Prius with ~190K miles
    12V battery replaced within last year or so
    Original hybrid battery

Intermittent issues:
    1. Dash lights black on startup. Seems to be in cold, damp conditions. Seems to resolve after restarting car, driving the car a bit, and/or unplugging the white connector to 12V battery and reconnecting. Happened several times last winter (NY) and just happened again on two of our first colder, wetter days this year. The second time this year, #2 below also happened...
    2. I couldn't turn the car off and, upon recollection, had no back-up lights. I tried putting the FOB in and it got "stuck". Drove around a bit and all issues resolved. (I didn't know about the 3-second start-button push until jumping on here. :))
    3. On usually separate occasions than #1 and #2 above, the cruise control is "easily" disengaged when hitting a bump. I drive the same road at the same speed. Most of the time cruise control works just fine. But it disengages seemingly under cold (and maybe dampish, IDK) conditions lately, basically similar conditions to #1 and #2 above. I do not see or, at least catch, the VSC light coming on during those events.

I've searched the forums as best as I could and generally found that:

#1 and #2 seem to be indicative of a failing combination meter and
    #3 seems to be related to the brake light switch.

Is it possible at all that these issues are related? If so, how so and what can I do for resolution?

I asked my service provider about these last year when they were happening, but because they couldn't replicate them, they shrugged their shoulders. They seemed to go away over the summer, but now the issues are back. I'd love to be able to point them in a direction, if possible.

P.S. I've watched the video on how to replace the combination meter. I've noted the options for getting refurbished meters. This site rocks! I'm just wondering if there is some other common cause I am missing... TIA

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would fix the CM and then see where you land.

The cruise control will not work when the CM fails to start so there is a possibility it is related. It could well be a separate issue.

For sure the CM needs to be repaired or exchanged for a refurbished one, so start with that.

SuzieB and Elektroingenieur like this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, it is. One way the hybrid vehicle control ECU determines the car’s speed is by monitoring a speed pulse signal, which is generated by the skid control ECU (the computer in charge of the brake system) but distributed through the combination meter.

According to the Repair Manual (more info), if the hybrid vehicle control ECU detects “a signal from vehicle speed sensor is cut for 1.4 seconds or more while cruise control is in operation,” it will store diagnostic trouble code P0500, Vehicle Speed Sensor “A,” for which the Fail-Safe Chart says, “Cruise control driving impossible.”

dolj likes this.