1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Death by Lethal Injection Cruel and Unusual

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, May 4, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 8 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]437417[/snapback]</div>

your views on stoning a person to death?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What? Stoning? Only if you were up there, berman :) j/k, of course. honestly, stoning and other methods that require an individual or group to perform an act that would otherwise be considered criminal is horrible.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 8 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]437429[/snapback]</div>
    did not really enjoy your "joking".

i think that is a horrible way to kill someone - and their methods of justice do not invole dna and often involve honor and other personal emtions that might be damaged.

i also think that capital punishment is important, and as another oenophile said, it is a view into our own set of morals and ethics how we do it. it should be as painless as possible.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Eagle, you just contradicted yourself in your last 2 posts. I don't see how burying someone alive is less horrible than stoning. I don't even believe that lethal injection is much less horrible than stoning, other than the fact that with a stoning more people get that black mark on their souls of having killed another person.

I don't think it's possible to execute a death sentence without one person killing another. I believe the distinction between methods of execution are not as clearly delineated morally as dbermanmd and others would like to believe. I don't mean to put words into anyone's mouth, but berman's last post has me guessing that his motive is to show a clear moral distinction between our culture and certain other cultures that may use different methods of punishment. To that I guess I'd say, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put the person under anesthesia, then lethal injection. This will be more humane. Take out all the relevant organs out and donate. Give the rest of the body to a medical school.

Lethal injection is not cruel. It's an uncruel way of ending a life that took away a life (or lives) in a cruel manner.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 8 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]437448[/snapback]</div>
    like the pun - i am not trying deliniate between our culture and others - other cultures take capital punishment very seriously - no appeals - no streets named after the criminal - no trials - etc.

burying alive is horrible imho.

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 8 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]437315[/snapback]</div>
    The half-life of the current anesthetic has a very short half life so if the huge dose doesn’t kill the criminal it will wear off very quickly. The thing is I think 3 grams would work for an 800 pound person but that is purely mathematical and doesn’t take into account the absorption rate and all the other metabolic factors.

I agree the rules sound like someone who doesn’t understand drugs and dosage made this up. I think to do it right you would start an iv and then place the person under heavy sedation and then administer your lethal drug. Or like you said just put them under and continue to up the dose until death.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There's a huge difference between being part of a passive execution and taking direct, violent action as part of an execution. On one hand, you can stick someone in a room and lock a door - your actions don't directly kill him, it's the starvation or dehydration that does. You don't perform any violence. On the other, you're throwing stones at someone with the intention of inflicting massive bodily harm. On one level, you can say that yes, the person is dead either way, and they don't go very peacefully. But on the other you can clearly see that one way is passive and peaceful for the executioner, while the other encourages violent behavior in the population.

9. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One time, me and a friend pondered the death penalty. We decided upon the, "Conga line of death". The second guy in line on death row would administer the lethal injection to the guy in the hot seat. this way, the condemmed could find a sense of community amongst themselves. The tough part was how do you MAKE the second guy in line deliver the final blow. Many schemes were discussed, and then we gave up and decided that a special prison could be built for the condemmed. Once the condemmed were sentenced to death, they would be sent to the special prison. Lets make this one in Texas, and call it a death house shall we? Upon entry, the condemmed would be placed in concrete cells no bigger than 10x10 feet. From the moment they entered the final cell, there would be no contact with any other human...period. Never able to see, hear, touch, or read letters from their parents, spouses, children, or other inmates or clergy from their faith. We decided that inmates would be fed moldy bread and stagnet water, but only once a day. The audio from these death houses would be fed over the internet and played out to kids in school that were headed down that dangerous road of criminal life. The ghastly screams of the condemmed could be monitored by bio-sensors that could determine if life was present, or just in the last throes of gurgling death rattles. Upon death, some system of disposal could be employed to rid the living of all the worm bloated carcasses rotting in these cells. In this way, the living could be freed from guilt by way of not standing between the killers last cries of help and his or her god. The condemmed would always have a huge cell (10x10), this would guarantee that enough running space be provided so as to enable the condemmed to run fast enough to bash their heads against a wall. If they were simply unconscious from the wall banging, the bio-sensors would monitor their vital signs until they became a worm bloated carcass. The biosensors would have to be good enough to monitor the actual death of the condemmed, down to the cellular level and not just a programmed state of apoptosis. Somehow the bread they were fed could maybe enhance the mitochondrias ability to promote that final biological switch that turns off the cells of the human body for the last time. If somehow, someone suffered a painful, cruel, or unusual death as alerted by a biosensor, we could re-animate the carcass and then explain to it that we needed to do it all over again for their sake. Meanwhile, the next of kin would never know the exact hour or day, that would be between god and the condemmed. For once the condemmed entered such a place, it would be all over for all intents and purposes. No burials, church services, cemetaries etc. Fertilizer sales of REAL nitrohumus could be sold on special days, only to be used for planting daisies or lillies around easter. Eliminate the cruel and unusual for something less cruel and more usual. and no, I don't read science fiction....I only write about it in my dreams.....No last meal of KFC and large buckets of soda. no last meals of homeade soup or favorite dishes. No cheeseburgers with cheese. Every day a picture of the soup nazi would be slid under their cell door.....OK, thats enough, back to work...

10. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 8 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]437474[/snapback]</div>
    OMG LOL!!!

Seriously... You didn't kill the person, the stones did. You didn't kill someone, the lethal drug did. Guns don't kill, bullets kill. You didn't kill someone by locking them up, it was being locked up that killed them!!! ROFL!!!

11. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 7 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]437112[/snapback]</div>
    Pinto,

I really don't care about detering crimes, if a jury has determined that death is the price to be paid for the crime then we have an obligation to get on with it and not charge the good law abiding "TAX PAYING" citizens that are now providing for the welfare of these convicted "Dead Men and Woman".

If they are convicted and a jury gives them the death penalty I really don't care if the murderer considers it cruel or unusual. Again, by getting the same final fate as his victim he has decided that the way he killed is not cruel or unusual.

If the person that commits such a crime doesn't know that he could be sentenced to death for his crime then that is his problem. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."