1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is driving for maximum mpg worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WPWoodJr, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest a couple of guidelines:

1. Map alternate routes - use Google or other map resources to identify alternate routes to and from work. If you can find optimum route(s) between work and home, you'll gain an easily reproducible way to save fuel.
    2. Choose the right lane, speed limit - listen to tunes and let the traffic flow.
    3. Follow slow pace vehicles - there are often trucks or SUVs with 'handicap' tags or big cars with older drivers or loaded pickup trucks towing a trailer who run slow. Follow them at a safe distance and let the world pass on by.
    4. Anticipative braking - it is better to brake to say 25 mph early and coast up to a red light. A gamble, sometimes the light changes and you've kept your kinetic energy to roll on through.
    5. Vehicle maintenance - lubricants and quality fuel
    ALTERNATE ROUTE

[​IMG]
    My route is broken into three phases:

1. warm-up - the first 1-2 miles is through the neighborhood at 20-25 mph. This minimizes loading the engine while it warms up. A cold engine is the least efficient.
    2. cross-town - I use the two lane, access road, 40 mph, adjacent to the 50 mph divided highway. Mostly I'm in the right hand lane running at 35-38 mph. When I join an interstate, I accelerate on downgrade access roads and coast-up exits. Drive to avoid having to brake.
    3. cool-down - the last 1-2 miles is uses streets where 30 mph is perfectly OK and there is a spare lane for following traffic to pass. Often I drive using the rear view mirror and have no problem changing lanes to let following traffic pass. This lets the battery SOC convert into saved fuel.
    There are 3-4 alternate routes between home and work and depending upon traffic, some work better than others. For example, Bob Wallace has a gradual downgrade, which makes it perfect for going home. But sometimes traffic is nuts so I'll turn off and head on another north-south street. Learn your possible routes, test them, and then go with what works. ... If I'm late for an important meeting, I take the fastest ... having a job is better than not. <wink>

GPS Mapping

Recently I got a Garmin nuvi and found the urban maps are pretty good for investigating routes that cut through neighborhoods. As 25 mph, a neighborhood is a great way to get from point A to point B without having to deal with impatient, cross-town traffic. I've used it to optimize my lunch routes.

Four Lanes over Two

This allows you to keep out of the way of ordinary traffic IF the traffic isn't in rush hour. Just slide along in the right hand lane and make time.

Know Your Vehicle

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    We have two Prius and they have distinctly different performance.
    Bob Wilson