1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Entune garbage?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The advanced has a higher res screen, looks better. The one in the base is so so, my dad has a base pip and it gets the job done but it ain't no looker for sure.

2. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You really seem to hate a lot about the PIP. Maybe you should go with a Volt instead.

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LEMME REPEAT THE FACTS: 1,2,3,4,5 yep, there are five in their family, volt only holds four, awwww, too bad!:cry:

4. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    But maybe the op wont hate it like they do the PIP.

7. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree....he seems to just hate it and find all the negatives. Sure some of the goodies arent so perfect, but he seems to be missing what these cars are all about. I sold my GTI that had the nicest interior and goodies ive ever had, but I dont complain about the interior, nav ect on my PiP. I bought it for the MPG period. The Nav is fine,does what it needs to do. Stereo, works, sure its not a booming base system but heck the USB holds all my playlists and it sounds ok.

When i started seeing 125mpg overall My 27MPG GTI with gorgeous interior/goodies was a faint memory, these cars are made to do one thing VERY GOOD IMO. The other things they are mediocre at best.

8. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wholeheartedly agree. I love my PIP. I think the display on my advanced is flawless. I cant wait to get my video adapter so I can watch movies on it during long trips. I find that the nav is very reliable. Its a little chunky (your location does not move smoothly as you drive) but thats not a big deal at all.

Only things that bother me are the location of the cup holders and the passenger airbag light. I also have developed an anxiety, a first for me. I now suffer from, like many pip owners, ICE anxiety.

9. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL....I agree about the ICE anxiety! too funny. I have to take a trip today approx 50 miles, i know ICE will be using fuel ugh!

I think we need to come up with a cupholder INSERT that has a nice wrap/foam ect.....what I mean is making something that will drop into the cupholder, so my elbow can rest there and make it look nice like it came from factory. then it can pop out easily to use cupholder when needed.

BTW someday I really want to see an advanced model NAV system and the HUD ect, I would love to have DVD capability. I know with my speedlook override installed now I like watching slide shows on trips. Pretty cool thing my GTI would not do! Albeit the resolution of the pics on the screen is pretty poor.lol

Dan

10. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is this video adapter you speak of? I am curious?

11. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the speedlock overdrive system?
    If you come up with a cupholder solution let me know.

Also for the record...Sorry if I am coming off negative... It is more that I am just trying to make the right decision.... Looks like I am going to go with it. Biggest decision is color UGGGG

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's how the Fusion Energi compares to the Volt:
    • SIZE: The Volt is a compact four-seat hatchback, while the Fusion Energi is a more spacious mid-size four-door sedan with five seats.
    • RANGE: The Volt gets up to 40 electric miles (at a wide variety of speeds), the Fusion Energi gets up to 20 miles (at lower speeds)
    • PRICE: The 2013 Volt starts at $39,995 and buyers are eligible for a $7,500 tax rebate, while the Fusion Energi hasn't been priced but qualifies for a $3,750 rebate.

[​IMG]
    2013 Ford Fusion Energi​

Price will be a critical part of the equation. The 2013 Ford C-Max Energi will start at $33,475, less expensive than the Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid against which Ford positions it.

13. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? So you can hate on that too? :p

JK

Beat Sonic imports a nav/dvd bypass adaptor that I will be buying. They will very soon be offering another adapter that gives users an AV input. Using the adapter you can use any device that has RCA video outputs to play video on your in dash nav screen. They are having some kind of supply issues with the AV adapter but the owner is bring me back one from Japan when he returns on the 21st.
    Here is a link for info on their bypass system.
    Beat-Sonic NT6122 Navigation and DVD Control Bypass Module Combo

14. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    speedlock "over RIDE" is a cheap simple wiring solution for 80 bucks I installed, when I got the car i noticed that there are a ton of features that are not usable when moving....toy wants you to use the voice control to access these features for safety. However many times the voice features arent very well recognized.

the override makes the display audio system think the car is not moving....you can turn it on or off. So i can watch my picture slideshow on the fly....or access my phonebook, access all settings menus, and many other things that become greyed out when driving.

See my thread for pics/details and link to purchase one.
    Rockerdan's Plug-in thread | PriusChat

Dan

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

As explained above and it's available right here in the PriusChat shop. They were made by user cpraudio on here:

PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius Navigation Speed Lock Override [Prius Override] - $80.00

16. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    However with the cheaper unit you cannot watch a video AND still use the gps. Both stop working because the car thinks its parked. That is pointless to me. If I am going to use video I am probably going to be on a road trip also using the nav system. Beat Sonic does allow you to use both at the same time while moving.

17. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Im not sure I understand. I dont think I can watch a DVD/Video on a base model can I?

Also, what do you mean by watch video AND use NAV/GPS. There is only one screen how can you do both at same time? I just got back from a 50 mile trip, watched my slideshow the whole way, but when i needed nav directions I flipped off the slideshow and went over to nav screen. then flicked off the override switch so NAV worked seemlessly.

Is the one you got only for advanced model? Isnt that beatsonic like 220 bucks?

Dan

18. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In order to watch a dvd and modify settings you have to be stationary, the car cannot be moving. These devices trick the car into thinking the car is motionless. When you hit the switch, the nav screen freezes because it doesnt think you are moving and you are also allowed to watch a movie. This means that you can watch a movie while moving but your navigation wont be guiding you in the background. In order to see where you are going and to see if you missed your exit while you were watching Neo fight Mr Smith you have to flip the switch off and wait for the nav to catch up. (takes about 10 seconds)

That is how the cheap version being sold on here works. If you buy the Beat Sonic unit or the Prestigious Society units they will both allow you to watch a movie while having nav still work in the background.

As for the base model and video options. I dont know your system. Does it have a DVD player? All I know is that it has the smaller screen.

19. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok I understand....I did notice today when i was watching my slideshow driving, and flipped back over to nav screen to see where i was, the nav was slow, it was working still just seemed abit slow, so turn by turn may be behind but for just seeing overall map and where you are it would keep up but slightly behind. When i flipped off the override it was perfect instantly.

Now, I really guess I need to go slide a DVD into my system and see what it does....Im guessing nothing.lol

will report back.
    Dan

20. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok.....tried DVDs in my display audio(base models) they do not work. I had a feeling they wouldn't but i know now for sure.

So anyone with a base model, the 80 dollar override is all you need to spend.

Dan