1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is EV button/mode a novelty??

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by GRich, May 13, 2013.

1. GRich

GRich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm new to Prius Chat. I just purchased a C 3 about a month ago. I was wondering about the EV mode, does it have any real utility. Mine will only work if I have five or more bars and the car has to be warm. If I have not driven the car with in about an hour or so it says unavailable same thing if I'm below five bars. But often time even with out pressing ev it still stays in all electric, even if the battery is as low as 3 bars. As long as I stay below the ev line. But if I use ev and drive over 10mph the ice starts. This is far less then if I had never pressed it. Also if the ice is already running it never does a thing. So my question is, what utility does it have or when should I use it.

thanks.

JMD likes this.
  2. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I only use it as a feel good factor- at the end of my homeward commute, I can slowly roll down hill and get a tiny boost in mpg if I remember to do so- also, if you drive thru a lot of parking lots to find a good parking spot, its useful.

CordynChaim likes this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great question. I just let the car computer decide.

PriusC-illa likes this.
  4. Maria Ku

Maria Ku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I definitely CAN turn EV mode on after about 10 minutes of driving in the morning - I do it every day when I drop my daughter at school, first thing in the morning. The limitation is that you must go slowly enough, and not up the hill. I get up to 28 mph on EV, if I go without accelerating fast.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are limited circumstances you can take advantage of the EV. For me, it was turning into my neighborhood and concluding that final drive using only electricity and with extra power the button provides. In the ramp at work, it came in quite handy too. For both situations, the engine was always fully warmed.

Now driving the PHV, it's nice knowing the regular models have the button. That makes explaining how the same system can provide quite a bit more power & speed simply by having more battery available easier. You get a small taste of the difference without having a plug.

6. firstrival

firstrival Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I use it all the time when I need to move between parking spaces.

7. GRich

GRich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    does the Prius c ev mode act differently the the standard Prius? I've seen youtube videos of standard the Prius using ev mode in much faster circumstances. In my C at 11mph it always says excessive speed. I also must have hit that button 100 times at stop lights if the ice is still running and it has never turned it off just tell me unavailable.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Get an aftermarket device, so you can see coolant temperature. Otherwise, you'll continue to guess. The mode is only available when the engine is fully warmed.

9. GRich

GRich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    how about the 10mpg limit can that be adjusted? It takes away functionality if I can't go at least 20. If the car switches on its own to all electric I can drive about 40 with using the ice.

10. GRich

GRich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    * without

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cold engine, EV = 10 mph max

Warm engine, EV = 25 mph max

Warm engine, STEALTH = 46 mph max

Both EV and STEALTH are electric-only driving modes. EV offers more power, but has a lower maximum speed. It must also be manually requested. STEALTH is automatic, but with a faster maximum.

JMD likes this.
  12. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I find this more power to be extremely limited. It doesn't take pushing the accelerator much past the middle of the HSI for the car decide to deactivate the requested EV mode for excessive acceleration.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only time I ever use the EV button is to prevent the ICE from starting when moving the car a short distance, ie. driveway to garage. The rest of the time I just feather the pedal to get in to and out of EV mode up to 46 mph once the car is warm.

14. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just remember, too, that if you use EV mode, the power for its recharge has to come back from somewhere (that is, the ICE). So unless you're moving it in a parking space or your driveway as others have mentioned, you won't really be positively affecting your mpg numbers.

15. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No vital utility here. Yeah, changing parking spaces, if one enjoys the idea of doing this without turning on the engine (nifty but not essential). If you disconnect the "growler" speaker, maybe Eco mode is useful for sneaking up to and/or away from a location in silence (useful for criminal activity or escaping awkward social encounters). Impress your friends with a short hop on an underpowered electric vehicle.

As has been noted, the "Eco" label is misleading, because there's nothing ecological about this mode. The energy all comes from the gas engine; Eco mode just says to get it later rather than now. It's the distinction between earning a paycheck and spending money from your savings or borrowing.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That misconception seems to be spreading.

ECO mode changes the tolerances for both the Heater and A/C, which most definitely has an effect on efficiency.

minkus likes this.
  17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It also remaps the throttle at lower pedal positions...

minkus likes this.
  18. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The button is a novelty that is near useless. The EV mode itself is not, however- it is a critical part of pulse and glide (shutting off the engine, but not using EV power) that can lead to enormous mpg below 43-45 mph.

19. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We seem to be confusing eco and EV mode. Eco mode changes climate control settings and gas pedal response. EV mode is driving with the ICE off. EV mode is not always bad. Why do we have to argue extremes? First someone says to use EV mode as much as possible, and then someone replies and says that EV mode is the work of the devil.

If you only need a little acceleration, EV is more efficient than running the ICE, unless your battery is in serious need of charge (because it's low, you're about to climb a hill, etc.). This depends on where you're going to drive next, temperature, climate control, etc., but there are definitely times when EV use is appropriate. In other words, there are times when the ICE-battery conversion losses are less than the loss in efficiency when running the ICE at a low acceleration/lower efficiency state.

RocMills and mtbiker53 like this.
  20. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We're also confusing putting the car into EV mode without using any or using only very little battery power (gliding) and using much EV power to accelerate or maintain speed of the car.

Basically, below 43-45 mph you should be attempting to pulse and glide as much as possible (Google it or search here on the forums- not you, minkus :p ). Pulse and glide is especially useful on a slight decline (it is very difficult, and perhaps not a good idea, to do when going uphill). However, this is not the same thing as putting the car into EV mode and then cranking up the EV power to push it along, which, in most situations, will be an inefficient use of power. There would have to either already be a surplus of energy in the battery (from braking or otherwise) or an upcoming opportunity to replenish the battery using the brakes for it to be an efficient use of EV mode.

The beauty of the Prius is being able to shut the engine off. The traction battery adding power also helps mpg in many ways, but the "big-time" mpg comes from the fact that, at in-town speeds, you can gain distance in the car without the engine running (AND without using much or any EV power), you can shut off the engine at stoplights, use the traction battery only at very low speeds in parking lots, etc.

minkus likes this.