1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is EV giving you bad driving habits?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Captmiddy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So yesterday, in my work addled mind, I forgot to plug in the car when I got home. Walked outside this morning and was unhappy to find the car hadn't plugged itself in while I slept. This meant I had to drive in using the 3 miles I had left from yesterday's charge, clearly not enough for the round trip. After running out part way to the office today I ran on gas the rest of the way and managed to stay up around 85 MPG doing just over 9 miles. Didn't really think of the mileage, but coming home I only got 49 MPG on a trip that our old car would typically exceed 38 MPG meaning in the old car I was exceeding EPA while in this car I was rather a bit under. I wonder if EV has spoiled me a little such that I have gotten a little heavy on the pedal. Since 80 to 90% of my driving so far has been in EV mode, I am pretty much not thinking about being very efficient when I know I will get home and still have 3 to 5 miles left on the EV tank.

Anyone else feel that they have become a little heavy footed when they are in EV and find their HV mileage is suffering because they aren't being as good about efficient driving as they once were?

bisco likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am driving for shortest trip time now. But I have a suggestion for uncharged Prime.

When 2-3 miles from your destination, put the car in CHARGE mode. Starting with 5-6% SOC, you can get the car on the next trip to warm-up while moving. This pays big dividends because CHARGE mode on a warmed engine is very efficient.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    john1701a likes this.
  3. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Leaf has ruined me with all that torque. I was much more gentle with acceleration when I had an engine screaming if I went fast.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i spend so much time in ev in the pip, i've forgotten how to hyper mile. even pulse and glide doesn't come naturally like it used to in my 2008.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think I've changed that much, but my HV economy in the PiP usually isn't what it should be because when I need it, it's usually only for 5 miles or less since EV covers most of my trip most of the time. But when I do make an HV drive around town of any distance, I generally get about 60-67 mpg. But I've only had it a little under three months. ;)

6. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three

It got really cold again dude !

Cold is the enemy of Prius Hv.

jp

7. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Acceleration in EV mode from 40mpg and above is extremely slow. Slower than gasoline engine with no juice left in the battery.

8. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    40 mpG?:confused:

9. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Can you clarify when you say charge on a warmed up engine is very efficient, what you are comparing the relative efficiency with?

Presumably it's a lot less cost effective than plugging in, assuming reasonable electricity pricing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. Any load on a cold-soak, Prius engine is fuel inefficient, 2-3 miles until engine coolant reaches +40C. So big dividends from neighborhood speeds, 25 mph, with maximum use of "N".
    2. It is hard, not impossible, to get under 52 MPG with a warmed up Prius engine because they are so efficient.
    Use CHARGE mode on a warmed engine to put just enough to support the next start-up, 5-6%. At least that is what my experiments show.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    GT4Prius and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  11. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks. It does this in normal HV mode by the sound of it?

Conversely, have you come to any conclusions as to parameters for choosing the best charge level for a long HV mode journey?

I'm thinking that a full charge might not be the best thing to start with, depending on the journey topography, as it does not leave any headroom for extended regen.

Or at least- with a full charge, start off in HV Auto or Euro equivalent and use up some charge to make some then headroom.

Any thoughts?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No charge is needed on a long HV mode trip.

To quote @John17-1a, 'Just drive the car' and don't worry about the SOC until the last 3-5 miles. Then put it in CHARGE mode long enough to get 5-6%. Later, you'll have enough to warm-up the engine to efficient levels BUT I would not turn down a free or affordable L2 charger.

When your business is done, use 'PlugShare' to find an L2 close to a place for a snack or meal. An hour later, you'll have about 40%, plenty of charge to handle reaching the Interstate.

Bob Wilson

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a major factor is kWh cost vs petrol. if i never charged, i would save money. in fact, if i had a prime, i could force charge cheaper than plugging in.
    and our power supplier is knocking on the governments door, looking for an increase.

14. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly. With my driving style, the 6.6 kwh only takes me 20 miles. I am charging $0.2/kwh at home, not putting tax and fees, surcharges, etc. in the equation yet. That's $6.6/100 miles.

Using pure gas, my mpg is about 48mpg. Costco gas is around $2.8/gallon. That's $5.83/100 miles.

Bottom line is: charging the car does not make financial sense at all.

bisco likes this.
  15. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    unless..........your landlord charges you $15.00/mo for the use of his electricity:D (that's what mine charges) and that amount was based on what my 2012 PIP accumulated, approximately one charge per night with a fully depleted battery for a month. Now, since the parking lot rebuild the outlet next to my parking spot is on 24 hours a day (before it was on a photocell when the parking lot lights came on)

#15 priuscatprimeguy, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You really have to calculate the cost per mile and then choose. Our plug-in are the ultimate flex fuel vehicles but I am sympathetic to those with excessive electrical rates.

Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bottom line is also: charging is much less expensive overall.

The cost to country & planet should be factored in too, not just the impact to an individuals wallet.

Give yourself credit for helping lead the way. Our children will pay less in the end.

18. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    I agree.

Also as previously discussed we Europeans pay a LOT more for petrol (gas) than you statesiders do.

At my night rate, 1 kWh at present costs less than 0.06 GBP.

So a 6.6kwh full charge costs less than 0.40 GBP.

One LITRE of petrol costs 1.15 GBP minimum at present and I could easily pay a lot more.

That's nearly three full charges for the price of 1 LITRE of fuel.

At 25 miles per full charge, that would equate in cost to 72.6 miles per litre, or about 330 miles per Imperial Gallon. Now if I were getting that kind of economy using petrol, I would be getting a fair bit of publicity wouldn't I?!

Plus, I am on a low carbon tariff from my electricity supplier.

Big wins here folks for Prius Plugin ownership!

priuscatprimeguy and bwilson4web like this.
  19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's a big reason why I installed solar.

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agrred. if i had a better location, i would as well.