1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Is Ford dumping its dealers?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Detroit Free Press quoted Ford CEO Farley as saying future electric vehicle sales would be 100% online.

That sounds like a pretty big shot against their dealer network.

But what about test drives?

The freep link is paywalled, but here's a tweet.

John321 likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    GOOD!

The dealers love to 'bait and switch' buyers to traditional ICE vehicles. Absent a 24x7, fast DC charger, they provide no value to EV customers.

Perhaps some EV reviewers bring value? Credibility is a problem but read them all and collect the common impressions.

Bob Wilson

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And where would customers have their vehicles serviced?

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    LOL not a chance! I'm very pro e-commerce but I learned quickly that reviews and reviewers need to be treated like advertisers and locked out of the process where possible.

On the other hand I'd be okay with no-hassle returns within a reasonable period, just like I currently enjoy from several e-tailers. If somebody wants to sell cars on those terms I'd be ok with it.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was some complaints about some dealers' behavior with the online ordering process with the Mach-E. This could be a warning to the less progressive ones.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I mean maybe they keep all the dealerships and use the showrooms to sell the trucks to the boomers and use their website to sell e-scorts (heh) to everyone else?

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Believe that the future for Dealers will be Service, Vehicle Delivery and Test Drives.

After buying our last vehicles through an online process, it would be hard to buy from a Dealer again.
    Once you buy online the traditional model of going to the Dealer and haggling out a price has no appeal.

I like the concept of buying a vehicle should be like buying a can of green beans, with the price clearly established with regional cost of living figured in as maybe an add on. You click on the vehicle you've decided on and the Dealership Delivers to your home or lets you pick it up at the Dealership. Financing, registration etc all done online.

Maybe keep a couple of Car Salesman on the payroll for people who enjoy having, variable secretive pricing and knockdown dragout battles over final pricing or not familiar with the internet.

#7 John321, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mind online purchases at all. The test drive would be handled by some period of no-question asked return policy. I read somewhere that Ford is not the only one planning to shift the sales to purely online. But I sure hope they will put some means to service their vehicle locally. The online repair will not fly even without the need for an oil change.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree! A two week, no questions asked return with a modest 'rental fee' of say $50/day works for me.

Bob Wilson

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A used car dealership I've used in the past had a 5 day return policy, but that was used cars.
    Is that enough to cover the depreciation on what is now a used car they have to sell?

John321 likes this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sell the first drive of each and every car to unboxing enthusiasts, then all the cars can legally be used cars and returns can be nice and tidy from a legal standpoint.

John321 likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The echoes of Tesla's disruption of the auto market continue... I could just imagine the biggest Ford stealerships sitting down with the board of directors and saying they have a problem with selling EVs because maintenance and repair revenue projections for selling them looks awful and then them proposing some ideas for how to force EVs into their shop for unneeded maintenance at huge prices and Ford is like, "You know what... Our revenue projections look much better if we just eliminate you from selling EVs entirely." And they're like, "But... Wait... That's not what we meant." Lol... Another nail in the coffin of car dealerships.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is amazing how many wall street gangs and reviewers keep prognosticating the 'tesla killer', only to find a short time later that they're back in the war room trying to figure out what went wrong

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We all know people who see it this way about life... They think their old lazy inefficient greedy ways is a gravy train that never ends...

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i've owned stock in several of these types of companies. the boobs at the top walk away with millions either way.
    (why do i see them as boobs when they're clearly more financially successful than moi? (n))

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And why as something as delightful as a boob?

bisco likes this.
  17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've bought 3 cars online. By online I mean I got the quote, it was exact to the penny, I showed up at the dealer with a check, 15 minutes later I drove off with no upselling pressure. And in normal times, each buy was a $4-5k under MSRP purchase.

Supply and demand being what it is, I don't expect that level of discount. But I do expect a similar frictionless and angstless experience.

John321 likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed, Boobs are beautiful... @bisco is way out of line!

bisco likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    L
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder LOL

Screenshot_2022-06-02-15-57-25-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

bisco likes this.
  20. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealers are scum. They only exist because the archaic system for buying new cars still exists. Good riddance!

There is literally no worse consumer experience than sitting at the dealer for 4 hours waiting for finance man to bait you into buying more bullshit you don't need. I have owned over 100 vehicles in my life and only ever bought one at a dealership, I will never do it again.

bisco and PriusCamper like this.