1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Fracking OK or Not?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Jun 9, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IMHO, we are learning along the way. Of the practices, it is re-injection of waste water disposal that is more likely the problem. I know because my Grandmother's water well was polluted by waste water that was NOT injected under the water table formations. Over the years, the brime reached her well and salted it out. She had a well just 200 yards from her home.

Although more expensive, evaporation pond or towers may be a better solution with harvesting of the recovered salts. There be minerals in that waste water.

Bob Wilson

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If your common sense doesn't tell you that pumping the materials frackers pump to pressurize and the damage done by its residue is good, then yes fracking is good as good as mercury in vaccines and Gmo's.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a famous quotation along the lines of 'study of nature should be simplified as much as possible, but not further'. In a general sense, 'how much' may not be obvious. One may begin with a preconceived notion and, simplify with a goal of supporting it. I don't think this will be a productive effort.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Complaining about fracking while driving a gas powered car has a little bit of hypocrisy involved. I'm trying to take steps to minimize my hypocracy because I realize we cannot eliminate environmentally destructive operations until sustainable solutions are embraced.

Ursamajor likes this.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Used to be they "Fracked" to increase water flow, then a light went on, wow, think of the money we can make fracking for oil and natural gas, now they frack for entertainment. Theirs

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scotland's a pretty windy place, and wind turbines are sprouting up all over. I don't have any stats on how much in the way of 'traditional' energy sources have been replaced, but there's definitely a big investment in wind power.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "When the Okies left Oklahoma and moved to California, they raised the average intelligence level in both states." - Will Rogers

None of my brothers nor Mom live in Oklahoma. I've got the Southeast USA franchise. My brothers cover the Southwest, Northwest and Northeast. Mom is doing her best in Kansas but it is against the wind.

Bob Wilson

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    As Calif. was at some risk of big earthquake after the Salton Sea swarm, I have been looking in on USGS real-time mapping. Confess to surprise that OK is more seismic than CA (Yeah, just 2s and 3s).

On October 13 there will be no earthquakes in Oklahoma. How's that for a prediction?

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    One might posit that lots of (nefarious) money opposes fracking. Has not been a successful effort, and fracking is expected to grow further

Hydraulic fracturing in the United States - Wikipedia

Certainly plausible that Russia would oppose it. They are losing both market share and profit. Certainly plausible that folks with concerns about fracking side effects would oppose it. This is an alignment of interests. If it is a nefarious alignment, others will have to work that out.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they fracked my water well, but if they started tracking for gas or oil, i would be moving west.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius