1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Lots of assumptions here. The one most likely to be wrong is your future trade-in value. Eventually Toyota will match production to demand (which is extremely high) and that's going to put much downward pressure on Gen 4's resale value.

2. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The Model Y is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. I'm blown away that so many people have bought it. In fact, the only Tesla I consider attractive out of the three models, is the S.

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet the Model Y outsold the Corolla sedan, hatchback, wagon, and maybe the SUV globally last quarter. Guess we'll see how much making the Prius pretty will effect sales in the next few years.

bisco likes this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tesla Model Y is literally nauseating. It is that bad-looking. :sick:

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had the same thing on my 69 bug. Drilled holes into the front chrome bumper.

6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bright and shiny cars and things are eye catching that’s for sure.

7. Mark Monroe

Mark Monroe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I personally think the Gen4's are the least attractive of the bunch - inside and out. I think the Gen4 looks hurt the sales and might have been part of the reason the Prius was predicted to be discontinued. The Gen5 Prius looks amazing and hopefully will establish the car with good sales for many years to come. Fingers crossed.

8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Toyota is selling all they can make of popular models, with a waiting list at nearby dealers. Subaru dealer said the same, people waiting for them to arrive. So those sales comparisons are not like they used to be.

9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I figured there would be a restyle this year, and it was a big one, not going to be discontinued. Predicted by who? Gen 4 is selling for high prices, even more since Gen 5 is so hard to get.
    Any idea why people think they are different people by what car they are sitting in? Haven’t found an answer to that yet. Anyone can drive any car, it makes no sense to me.

reallyreal likes this.
  10. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Come on, young ladies are looking at the car, not necessarily the driver. Maybe there's some general curiousity of who's driving, but that's a long, long way from any romantic inclinations. Anything else is all in the imagination of an old man in a Corvette (they're always driven by old men as the young guys can't afford the insurance). Ok, maybe there are a few gold diggers checking out the driver, but I'd prefer not to bother with those... as they're obviously not attracted to my gen4 prius.

SM-F721U ?

Montgomery and daisy555 like this.
  11. McCarthy

McCarthy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Young guys can't afford a Vette? What kinda nonsense stereotype is that? What was the last time you went to a Cars & Coffee? Ah right, never.

Just one example below, I know him too, is local. By the way, that was 7 years ago when he was 21.

He now owns a race track, a helicopter, a plane, a 6 second car, several 7 second cars, a shop, and hired about 40 people. His daily is a new 911 Turbo S, and countless other cars.

#191 McCarthy, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  12. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You keep saying this. Do you have a source?

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the Toyota web inventory, currently there are only two XSE Premiums within 500 miles of my Zip code, and they are both already at dealers. The inventory typically shows cars before they are built at the factory.

Toyota inventory | New-Toyota inventory search

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Corolla is the perennial number one selling car in the world Even if the Model Y beat it because of Toyota supply issues, and it isn't like Tesla isn't supply constrained, that is still a major achievement. Specially for an ugly car.;)

#194 Trollbait, Jun 3, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  15. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Maybe you should try other zip codes before you make definitive blanket statements like "In fact, Toyota has currently stopped the production of XSE Premium entirely."

I'm seeing 14 within 500 miles of Chicago(2 in build phase), 10 within 500 miles of Austin(8 in build phase), 8 within 500 miles of Atlanta(1 build), 16 within 500 miles of Kansas City(4 build). I could go on. In fact, I'm seeing more XSE Premiums overall than SE and XSE combined.

16. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Avalon was around 1/3 the original MSRP when I bought it 5 years old at 50k miles. The thing is the current used car pricing is due to supply chain issues that should solve themselves in the future. So we can expect used cars to start losing value. Still, the longer you hold onto each vehicle usually the cheaper it becomes to own them.

The Model Y has two things people are after:
    1. It's a Tesla.
    2. They call it a crossover.
    To me the Y's shape makes sense to a degree, and I forsee this kind of thing being the future of crossovers and SUV's as more strignent laws are passed for fuel mileage and the cost of batteries stays high. The curvy top makes them more aerodynamic which is necessary for squeezing out more fuelmileage or miles from a CU-EV or SU-EV.

What would make more practical sense is to make wagons/estates. Lower profiles and longer wheelbases make for more aerodynamic cars than tall ones with short wheelbases.

There are some young people who are rich and there are average young people. I'll be 51 years old in a couple months and have never felt I could afford a brand new car, and I still feel that way. Hence why I've always had clunkers up until the Leaf then the Avalon which were both used.

17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, I was able to see the ones with the Austin Zip code after I refreshed the page. There are plenty of solar roofs, too—interesting. The page seems a little buggy and may need a refresh.

Lots of previously unknown accessories like the premium carpet-mat set are also shown in the packages.

Toyota inventory | New-Toyota inventory search

#197 Gokhan, Jun 3, 2023
  18. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    According to this link (5 Things Corvette, Prius, And Porsche 911 Owners Have In Common - BRIDJIT Curb Ramps) the average age of a Corvette owner is 61. Higher than both Prius and 911 drivers so I wouldn't say "nonsense stereotype". Of course, there are outliers. True, my comment about affordable insurance was strictly made up BS (i.e. my opinion), but I have read articles that mentioned that this is one of the reasons most high performance cars are for grown-ups.

SM-F721U ?

daisy555 and Isaac Zachary like this.
  19. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, I was pricing insurance on a 2014 Tesla Model S and was quoted over $300 per month for full coverage.That's a lot of money, and it's not even on a new car.

daisy555 likes this.
  20. McCarthy

McCarthy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy in the videos wasn't rich, he just worked his a$$ off for all those years and was willing to take some risks.

I got my Vette new off the lot with a 12k discount for 48k out the door. Your average new pickup costs more these days. You just gotta be smart about things.