1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    robert-redford-yes.gif

#281 Preebee, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately, not. :( The lower trims (LE, SE) lack the light bar, which looked really good at night. The lower trims also come with the cheaper-looking matte black trim instead of glossy black trim. Of course, the other difference is the wheel covers on the lower trims vs. nice wheels on the upper trims. The front turn signals and accent lights on the lower trims are also different.

However, the lower trims beat the upper trims in fuel efficiency and BEV range.

I actually saw it from the rear diagonal.

daisy555 likes this.
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That's the money shot IMO.

20230616_213206b.jpg

Mine. :)

daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw it more from the rear. The shape and curves of the trunk looked really good, kind of like of a Porsche but actually even better, more modern and futuristic.

Tightwad77, Preebee and daisy555 like this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I knew about the wheel covers but didn’t realize the rear lights and matte verses gloss differences. I have an XLE coming so it will be glossy black trim, alloy wheels and the nicer rear lights…not that I will get to enjoy any of these things while driving. : ) I’d rather the better gas mileage but needed some of the interior upgrades.

Yes…that is the best angle. :) My 2009 looks best from that angle too although I love the 2009 rear end as well. I like conservative lines.

I’m noticing more cars with a similar look. Must be the future design for rear ends.

#285 daisy555, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2023
    Gokhan and Preebee like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Certainly, car designs evolve together. If you remember the 80s, they were all boxy with sharp edges, then got all curvy later with no sharp edges at all (like Gen 2), then some sharp edges came back (like Gen 3), now round trunks, narrow passenger cabins, light bars, glossy bumper trims, etc. (like Gen 5) becoming a thing. There are a lot of good-looking newer cars out there. Car makers all cheat and copy from each other. ;)

daisy555 likes this.
  8. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a light bar difference? I only noticed the regular Prius has a red bar, and the Primes have the cleared tail light bar.

I also recently noticed the matte wheel well trim pieces, bummer on that.

9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Very, very little difference from a whole view perspective. The only thing that REALLY stands out are the bigger wheels (when you're up close). And I wasn't willing to take the MPG hit. I passed on several XLE's.

Rejoice! You're driving one of the coolest cars of 2023... and beyond. And I personally like the LE wheel look from a distance compared to the aluminum. It looks stealthy/blacked out. Does the SE come with the hubcaps?

The Cheaper 2023 Toyota Prius Hubcaps Are Awesomely Angular

The Cheaper 2023 Toyota Prius Hubcaps Are Awesomely Angular
    Didn't think a Prius could be cool? What about its... wheels?

10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, no light bar on LE (probably not on SE either), and the front turn signals and accent lights are also different (no lower accent lights on LE and SE, front turn signals entirely different).

ukulelegeek likes this.
  11. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it were mine, and if I was handy with tools, and if I had a place to work on cars, I'd probably fix it up. If not, I'd donate it to my local public radio station.
    Oh wait, that's what i did with my last car. It ran, but i donated it.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve always admired this body style. *Oops this was supposed to be a response to Mendel’s photo of his Gen 3. *

Me and my desire for conservative lines. I just didn’t like the design of the odd angled dashboard / console connection. I still enjoy the minimalist interior of my 2009 with matte metallic accents.

Gokhan and ukulelegeek like this.
  13. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it would be cool to have the rear of a Gen 2 with the front of a Gen 3. And the interior of a V.

14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We both want the same car. : ) Why didn’t they consult with us? :) I had no idea the V didn’t have the funky console until a woman pulled up in one to ask me a question. Would love a V with better gas mileage.

ukulelegeek and Isaac Zachary like this.
  15. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And a V with the extra row of seats in the USA. And I'd like the multi-level B mode on the Camry and Avalon hybrids in all the Prii.

daisy555 likes this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a guardian-gray 2023 Prius LE Lyft (yes, Lyft!) at dusk on the freeway yesterday.

I almost looked away because it was such a dull-looking car with its tiny taillights and small figure. Then it occurred to me that it was a new Prius. The lack of the light bar on the LE is not helping.

This time I took a thorough look from all angles, deliberately stepping on the gas to pass it. It didn't look good from the rear. It didn't look good from the side. It didn't look good from the front. The headlights are tiny and dull, too.

Guardian gray is an awful dark shade of gray, especially at dusk, that masked any good lines of the car. I did not notice any sporty or aggressive aspect. Perhaps white or silver can bring some good lines in sight.

I think this is the worst-looking Prius ever. I think the initial excitement and fascination of Prius not looking like a Prius anymore will die out soon, and people will consider it to be a boring-looking car. There are a lot of good-looking cars on the road, but Gen 5 Prius is not one of them.

dagaph and GSK like this.
  17. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You nailed IT!! IT being that beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Gokhan likes this.
  18. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unfortunate you won't be partaking in owning the new Prius. I appreciate all the knowledge you bring to the forum though.

With that being said, all the other prospective Prius owners job of finding one just got a tiny bit easier.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Objectively, there is no good or bad looking car.
    Culturally, there are agreed upon things that are more or less ‘beautiful’. However, those norms are not universally agreed upon by every individual.

The gen 5 Prius adopted many traits that fit the cultural idea of ‘beauty’.
    Some of these traits may negatively impact efficiency or ease of use.

So to answer the thread title, I believe most people will consider the looks of the Gen 5 more appealing than the Gen 4.

Will everyone? No, of course not.

Tightwad77 and Trollbait like this.
  20. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't win them all. I can't remember a car in recent history that has performed such a 180 in the public perception from last gen to new. It seems like the main thing that was holding everyone back was it's looks or maybe even lack of power. Now such things are no longer barriers, and suddenly a econo car like a Prius is now in hot demand.

Before the new gen, a lot of people wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius no matter how much more efficient it was over the competition. Now I've got friends who never liked Prius' complimenting the car, and a couple of them who want one now. The reality is you cannot please everyone.

I feel like whatever the tables were, be it 90%/10% of those who couldn't stand the looks vs those who could/liked it, has completed flipped to 10%/90%. Whatever the percentage is, this is an undeniable home run for Toyota.

Ronnie5 likes this.