1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ughh. Maxed out! Why didn't they make the trip average display hundreds like in the G4's?? :mad:

2. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that kinda thing is what the cool kids said when they LIKE something, right?! ;)

#322 Nntw, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    daisy555 likes this.
  3. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've owned a few sweet cars in my life, and still do. I've never gotten such a raw and funny reaction like that before. Now I have.... In a Prius. How hilarious is that :LOL:

4. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I guess it depends where you are in California. Once I was driving by a hosptal in the Wilmington/Compton area and a guy out on the sidewalk was picking a fight with me for no apparent reason and this was at high noon! :cautious:

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Our parents moved us out of Compton in 1964 for obvious reasons. They're often in a tie with the bad side of Chicago when it comes to bad behavior

6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    2023 Toyota Prius Limited – Review by David Colman +VIDEO

"In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be singing the praises of the Toyota Prius. To be sure, this model has long appealed to a legion of fans who love Prius for its economical green virtue. But from the first generation (2001-03) through seven subsequent Prius iterations, this pioneer hybrid from Toyota carried the stigma of ugly compounded by the stink of slow. After attending the introduction of the third generation (2010-2015), I thought, "Who would buy a car that looks like an insect and has an interior patterned after a latrine?" But in retrospect, even that Prius looked decent compared to the recently departed Prius Prime (2017-2022), a truly hideous design good for the gag reflex.

So it was not without significant trepidation that I greeted Toyota's latest take on their loved/hated pioneer hybrid. Right from the get-go, this beauty scored a solid 10 in the appearance department."

;)

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!
    That is someone that is easily offended.
    “Patterned after a latrine”?

I agree the new Prius fits what most people accept as ‘beautiful’, I never would have used such colorful language to describe the earlier models.

Trollbait, reallyreal and Preebee like this.
  8. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on, no way the previous Prime is uglier than the 3rd gen, at least on the front.

9. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I never drove or sat in an earlier model, and it was not the looks that made me never even consider it, although I was not a fan of its looks. The reason I would not have considered the prior Prius models is a perception that it was a very underpowered, not fun to drive car. I might not have been right about that and part of that view was formed having driven behind Prius cars on the road adhering religiously to the speed limit. The performance difference is what attracted me to the new Prius, together with the environmental efficiency (which, I confess should, perhaps, have been enough before). And I do think it is a really cool looking car (says this non-car person). I do agree with the comment that I would not have thought myself singing the praises of the Prius in my wildest dreams.

Zythryn and Preebee like this.
  10. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I truly thought my G4 was decent looking. At least reaching the level of "typical Japanese sedan looks". Many disagreed apparently. I loved my G4 in so many other ways though. I'm sure I was biased.

20220220_174049.jpg

#330 Preebee, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  11. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes you and of course @Gokhan were biased! :ROFLMAO:

Preebee likes this.
  12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hero-image.fill.size_400x225.jpg

2015priusprimesml.jpg

Roqu3 likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The general Kammback shape of the gen 2 and 3 made the car look odd to most. The styling of the sheet metal was in line with other cars. In a market where hatchbacks are more popular, maybe they wouldn't have stood out.

The gen 4 went with a more sedanish shape. If Toyota had went with the styling of the previous models, it would have ended up close to the gen 5. Instead, they added more creases and angles, which is what make the design polarizing. I keep thinking the designer really wanted to have a 1950's tail fin when seeing that rear quarter panel.

flim, Zythryn and Preebee like this.
  14. Neomorphy

Neomorphy New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I liked the gen2 and gen3, but the gen4 was ugly. Nobody I knew thought the gen3 was a good looking car, except me :)
    But, everyone loves the looks of the gen5! Even when I got the inspection sticker for it I got compliments. I hear a lot of people say "Wow! That's a Prius!?"

flim and Preebee like this.
  15. planetarian

planetarian Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I owned the gen3, and I wouldn't say it was a particularly attractive car, but I thought it looked good enough. For most people I talked to, the general consensus was simply "yep, that's a Prius". Not good, not bad, just Prius.

Mendel Leisk and Neomorphy like this.
  16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WELL.....
    Since you asked....
    It's not even close.
    Beauty might only be skin-deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone!

The G4 is probably the most reliable gen (I have 200k+ in G3s)
    ....but the G5 is the first Prius that, according to the pre-teens over at C&D: "...has finally become the best version of itself, with a sexy shape that finally matches its sexy fuel economy."
    2023 Toyota Prius Review, Pricing, and Specs
    It also finally has adult-sized wheels and tires, useful performance, and it's more efficient.

The only down-side is the price.

Roqu3 likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Hilarious POV review coming from an unabashed Prius hater. I think this belongs in here as a testament to the effect the G5's have on, not only the general public, but those with particular disdain for our beloved little fuel sipper.

The guy's 6'5, big, and says this is the first Prius he's actually comfortable in. Says this could be the best new car on the market, period. Really entertaining, no B.S. review. Enjoy!

daisy555, GeoJ and flim like this.
  18. PriusPrimetime

PriusPrimetime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    To answer the threads question: YES

But.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I'm sure that's been said already in the 17 pages of this thread)

I'm guessing we have some older Prius owners here... because when a younger person says it's "sick", it's a BIG compliment.

I'm nearly 40 and I can tell you I would never be caught dead in any Gen BUT a Gen5.... Toyota is trying to attract the younger crowd to the Prius, and I'm willing to bet it's working.

Just my opinion.

Tightwad77, daisy555 and Preebee like this.
  19. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have been seeing more Gen 5s in our area.

Saw a Guardian Gray on the freeway then a Black one being tailed closely by a Tesla 3 in Beverly Hills yesterday. Both black and I thought they were together and Gen 5s!

Couldn’t catch if they were Hybrid or Prime since most of them drove so fast especially a RED beauty today. Nice(y)

Preebee likes this.
  20. Tightwad77

Tightwad77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I feel the gen five looks like it was designed in California by Americans. I cannot stand that the rear end looks like a Dodge dart. They made the car less practical. It’s more crowded inside. I don’t understand Toyotas logic on a larger engine. I think it’s to get more EV only miles out of it. To me it’s a step in the wrong direction. Yes it’s a good looking car but there’s a lot of good looking people that are also dumb

Just based on this comparison photo, they are equally attractive.

I absolutely love the gen 4 prime, and I think blue magnetism is an awesome color because it’s exclusive to that model. They always say the fat ugly girl will treat you good and cook for you and take care of you. But I don’t think she’s ugly at all. In my opinion, the GEN five is just fine but it’s being ruined by the current automotive landscape of high prices. I would take a GEN five in a minute if I could get it home for 35 k top of the line because that’s all that’s really worth in reality. I wish they had kept the instrumentation in the center. and I’m not a fan of the Dodge dart rear at all. Plus, most important no cool colors. And they overdid it on the giant wheels

Now that’s a mic drop

You could search for a nicely used GEN for advanced, and have all those features and more and spend less money. But you’re young and looks matter when you get older, you realize it doesn’t matter.

So well said

#340 Tightwad77, Apr 10, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2024
    dagaph and Gokhan like this.