1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the Gen 4 Prime. Mine was in Hypersonic Red. Looked fantastic. Loved how the crease on the doors became the rear spoiler, love the CFRP hatch and the dual wave rear window.

The Gen 5 does look really sleek though. It turns heads. I’ve seen several on the road and they look good. You can’t even tell it’s a Toyota, let alone a Prius so it’ll definitely get double takes.

IMG_7667.jpeg IMG_7661.jpeg

Or Ferrari Purosangue in silver

And it’s available in Canada!

Sarge, Preebee, TGrracie and 2 others like this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sure, do you live in Southern California? I don't know when and even if I will trade in. I am No. 2 on the Longo Toyota waiting list though.

I also still get a 38-mile BEV range on the guess-o-meter as well as in real mixed driving.

#22 Gokhan, May 24, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2023
  3. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

The Globe and Mail (Toronto newspaper, business oriented) described the previous Prius Prime’s look as “Robot catfish”.

Your comment about ‘gills’ validates their assessment.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great characterization; won't ever un-see that.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Please, it's Mechacatfish.

6. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    One of the funniest descriptions for Gen 4 Prius Prime I read (sorry, don’t recall who or where) was “Citroen meets anime + meth”.

Nonetheless, I love this car.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but is that a plus? Gen 2 had a perky, utilitarian, unpretentious look. It was a people and cargo mover. 3rd gen looked a bit more “upscale”, but just incrementally. And then…

Downrange likes this.
  8. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    2023priuslambowhite.png

"Whenever I’m trying to explain the new Prius to people who haven’t seen it yet, I tell them it looks like the old Prius and a Lamborghini had a baby." :LOL:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only time will tell. they'll lose some diehards, and gain some newly mesmerized. we won't know the balance for a couple years probably.
    i'm sure they are enjoying the positive press for now.
    i would have purchased one with all the improvements and a little better styling, without reducing the size so dramatically

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Gen 5 has a shape that is a closer match to the Tesla Model 3 than anything else.

Tightwad77 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if anything, i'd say the profile looks smoother than model 3

TGrracie and Preebee like this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    GEN I was the experiment. GEN II was the first working model. GEN III fixed the last and refined the looks. Gen 4 further fixed, but screwed up the looks. GEN 5...we don't know yet on mechanicals, but they fixed and further refined the looks.

That said...I am a die hard Toyota Hybrid fan who also has a 2017 RAV4 HV.

YMMV ;)

Sarge, Neomorphy, daisy555 and 2 others like this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet it has higher drag than the previous Prius.

Tightwad77 likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know. i would love to have the details

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on your priorities. Absolutely we’re losing the utilitarian feel of the old Prii but the market has also changed. It’s not longer the default go-to hybrid. There are many other options (RAV4 and Corolla across) for utility and Toyota can make a profit doing so (a Corolla cross hybrid is mid to high 30s!!). Power and design help the Prius stand out. Toyota is fully aware that this Gen won’t appeal to previous Prius owners.

Tightwad77, Sarge, Bob P. and 3 others like this.
  16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I mean... Prius sales were absolutely cratering. What do you expect them to do? Many folks think this drastic restyling should have been applied to an altogether new model. I for one am glad they chose to still call this "baby Lambo" the Prius. It's like cosmic revenge LOL!

Tightwad77 likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    "some previous Prius owners"

FIFY ;)

"The overall "aerodynamics" stayed the same or improved" is a comment that has been made by several testers. I believe they based their opinion on the 2 inch drop. Like there is another force to consider besides drag?? I don't know if this makes engineering sense but... this is what has been said.

I'll try to find the actual sources so they can be critiqued.

"What are the 4 factors which affect aerodynamics?

This chapter discusses the aerodynamics of flight—how design, weight, load factors, and gravity affect an aircraft during flight maneuvers. The four forces acting on an aircraft in straight-and-level, unaccelerated flight are thrust, drag, lift, and weight."

Here's one:

2023 Toyota Prius punches it up

"The 2023 Prius’ slippery new profile displays its most striking dimensional change, a 2-inch (51-mm) lower roofline. The new car also is 1 inch (25.4 mm) wider and slightly longer, with wheelbase increased by 2 in. The windshield rake would be considered fast for nearly any vehicle but is particularly so for a Prius. Oya said the new shape’s drag coefficient — 0.27 Cd — is on paper worse than the previous Prius’ 0.24, but the sharper front end and grille create less frontal area, reducing CdA and effectively negating the detrimental overall aerodynamic effect of the new bodywork."

#37 Preebee, May 25, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2023
    Sarge, daisy555 and Tideland Prius like this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The most we have gotten is "but the car is smaller, so overall it isn't much worse than the old" from Toyota.

The quick answer is that they simply chose not to invest in aerodynamics like they did in the past. They could have had both looks and low Cd. Tesla manages it. If the other high end sports cars being compared to here have worse, it is because of down force generators to keep the car sticking to the track.;)
    An answer Waynes Gerdes(Cleanmpg) got was that the gen5 has a smaller frontal area than the gen4, which means the overall drag(Cd x area) isn't much worse. Others probably got similar answers to the higher Cd question. I haven't seen anything on why the Cd is worse to begin with. With the gen4 Prime, Toyota told us the aero improvement of the rear window was countered by the styling of the front, thus same Cd as the Prius.

The CdA using a squared head on profile(height x width) is still noticably in the gen4's favor. The actual profile of the new can be trimmed down to get them closer. But then trimming of exterior dimensions for better frontal area is why the interior ones shrank.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I liked the look of the previous generation (4) except for the rear end. The gen 5 got the rear end right. The rest in my opinion looks pretty good, they could have kept the front end of the previous version and I think it would have looked good but they went with the offspring of Lambo. Oddly enough I had a random person think my 2023 was some sort of Lambo and I thought they were being ridiculous but seeing the pics above I see what they're talking about.

Sarge, Preebee and daisy555 like this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is a full photo comparison of Gen 4 and Gen 5 Prius Primes.

To me, Gen 4 is a better-looking car than Gen 5 inside and outside at all angles.

On top of that, the color choice in Gen 5 is poor. They don't have a spectacular-color option like blue magnetism in Gen 4.

The only attractive thing in Gen 5 is larger wheels.

Looks of Gen 5 in the auto blogs is highly exaggerated. When I saw a gray Gen 5 Prius LE on the freeway, it looked no better than a Honda Civic.

My trade-in decision will be based on the trade-in offer price.

2023 Toyota Prius: See the changes side by side

Tightwad77 and GSK like this.