1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've had a lot of positive comments from strangers about my 2024 Prius Prime. A few of them have flatly refused to believe it was a Prius.
    My only complaint is how hard it is to squash my 6' frame into the driver's seat.

2. dagaph

dagaph New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have exactly the same charger. Jut be aware that that for this charger you need 20amp braker and not a standard 15 amp. You might be able to get away with only 15 amp circuit though, but it is not really designed for 15 amp braker. The electrician installed 20 amp for this charger.

3. dagaph

dagaph New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    :) exactly just this morning it occurred to me that i have to "neatly fold myself to get into" this car :)

4. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I can't say that I agree that you need more than a 15 amp breaker for the Level 1 charger included with the car. It draws less than 15 amps as I recall.
    But I am aware that plugging in for a long time can cause overheating if the connection is less than ideal. That's why Toyota tries to limit its liability by recommending a 20 amp circuit or a heavy duty outlet. I use it so infrequently that it's not a problem.

#464 Paul Gregory, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
  5. dagaph

dagaph New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Toyota original in deed does require only 15amp braker, but Vevor L1+2 charger is 16 amp and Vevor itself said somewhere in Q&A that this charger needs 20amp braker. I think you always need 20% (if i rememebr correctly, it has to be 20% by code, but i am not sure) safety margin in your braker, so 16amp appliance on 15amp braker is kind of not up to code. Anyway this is the way i understood it a couple of years ago when i got this charger, because let's be honest 16amp appliance is a not very common for North American. And by the way the cable of this Vevor heats up much more then Toyota original charger. Toyota original draws only 12amp aand it is designed for 15 amp braker. Just something to be aware of.

#465 dagaph, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
  6. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm not saying an upgraded circuit isn't a good idea.
    Just that the existing one works for me.

7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Just to throw out another experience... I'm 5'11 and 210 lbs. Before buying the 2024 model I visited a local dealer where I "test entered the car". The first entry I must have looked like I was a frail 90 year old. Per my back therapist, I entered butt first and I was very careful to protect my head from hitting the door or door jamb.

By the 5th attempt it was not a big issue. I adjusted the seat appropriately and was able to sit using the normal "butt first then swivel" technique.

For full transparency, I have hit my head only once since buying the car. As I was sitting down I saw through the open door a piece of odd looking trash on the ground. I bent forward to look at the trash, and my noggin whacked into the door jamb as I leaned over.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    At 6'-5" & 220 Lbs, I have to do the butt swivel entry too - on our Chevy Volt - which is similarly too low in stature for us 'normal'.height people. This is what happens when you build cars for shrimpy people. You Bang Your Head on occasion and do daily gymnastics getting in and out.

Downrange likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for taking the time to clarify. Makes sense. The only reason I wish the Prime charged faster is because I don’t have a place at home to charge. Slightly above my budget as it is and would be even more with faster charger.

10. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Listen, you don't get the Lambo looks with F150 head clearance lol. I gotta watch my head too. But once you're in, you're in. And it's very comfortable! Guys 6'8 have fit comfortably inside the G5.

Tilt the seat back a notch or two and it even feels roomy... but sporty.

A sporty looking (and driving) car that can do this?

upload_2024-5-27_16-17-42.png

Amazeballz! :eek:

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a black LE Uber tonight. It looked great. Black would be the color of my choice if I got a Gen 5. The people who called it were asking each other if it was a Prius. I am not sure if they made any other comments, but I didn't hear any.

If it were easily available and cheap, I would perhaps trade in for a black Gen 5 SE, but it isn't, and even more importantly, it is more appealing to have no car payments soon.

villageidiot2 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    redone drove by us at low speed when we were out walking, looked pretty sharp

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When people call a Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime Uber for the first time, they are clueless on how to get in. I heard a comment, “I have learned something new,” in which I later realized that he was referring to opening the rear door.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no effect on looks, but a very tesla-esque nonsensical device

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which has been around for some time. The C-HR was probably the first Toyota to have it, but others had it before.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    give me good old fashioned door handles

18. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Has there been any feedback from Toyota as to why they chose that design for the rear door handles? I got used to the design rather quick

The only value that I'm seeing so far is that it makes it easy to spot the Gen 5 Prius within a sea of identical Tesla sedans.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah with our daughter's Tesla 3, it usually takes me 2 hands, to push one end and pull the other. And the door glass is frameless, meaning the the windows need to dropped and inch or two, to avoid getting damaged when you reclose the door. I wonder if that little complexity ever craps out.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Really? You can always get one of those fluorescent orange styrofoam 76 balls - and a whip antenna, then you'll be good to go.

Screenshot_2024-06-04-12-24-13-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

AndersOne likes this.