1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Upper trim Prius have that double laminated glass on the front side windows. Does the car unlock the doors and roll down the window in the event of a crash? If not, the traditional handle isn't going to be anymore help that a flush one.

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even tinted windows is enough to slowdown first responders.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I saw a silver LE and a black LTD today.

Silver, while being a boring color, blends in well with Gen 5. The car still looks like a cute little Japanese car. It is hard to mistake it for a Lamborghini.

Now, the black LTD looked totally different. I saw it immediately after the silver one, and I did not recognize it as a Prius. I said to myself, “Now, that car looks a lot more aggressive than the Gen 5 I just saw! Hmm, is that a Dodge Dart??” When I came closer, I realized that it was a black Gen 5 LTD. The chrome emblems were all covered with black film, and you could barely read the “P R I U S.” The black does wash away the features of Gen 5, especially the rear-bumper cutouts, the latter of which is actually a good thing, but it makes it look like an aggressive sporty car. It probably does run hot under the sun though.

I also regularly see a white Prius Prime XSE (or XSE Premium). I don't like the glossy black trim.

#503 Gokhan, Jun 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 5:41 PM
  4. villageidiot2

villageidiot2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    No doubt it will run hotter, to match those looks ;). But in all seriousness, it can be mitigated with ceramic tint. So not really an issue for cabin comfort IMO. Does that heat have a significant impact on thermal/engine efficiency? Unsure, but probably unlikely?

Gokhan likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, there is a government study that says that silver or white cars are considerably more efficiency when you use the A/C (and the heat pump in the winter in case of Prius Prime) than black cars.

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

Potential benefits of solar-reflective car shells: Cooler cabins, fuel savings, and emission reductions—ScienceDirect

#505 Gokhan, Jun 14, 2024 at 7:17 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 7:28 PM
    villageidiot2 likes this.
  6. villageidiot2

villageidiot2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Interesting, thanks for sharing! Albeit, I wouldn’t call it “considerably more efficient”.

Just to be clear, this is a direct quote from the cited study:

“Selecting a typical white or silver shell (ρ = 0.60) instead of a black shell would lower fuel consumption by 0.21 L per 100 km (1.9%), raising fuel economy by 0.19 km L−1 [0.44 mpg] (2.0%).”

And again, ceramic tint can help migrate this other finding from the study:

“Soak air temperature in cool (solar-reflective) silver compact sedan is 5–6 °C lower than in otherwise identical black car. ► Silver (or white) car requires 13% less air conditioning (AC) capacity to cool cabin air to 25 °C.”

Gokhan and bisco like this.