1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And my thoughts…Front view….

And then the back view….

No one buys a Prius for looks anyway.

Huh. Can’t add emojis to express my thoughts.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which emojis were you thinking? :);):p:Do_O:LOL::whistle::giggle:

3. SupersonicPrius

SupersonicPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I think Toyota wanted to spur new demand from people who have never, ever considered a Prius before, and they have created a vehicle that will bring new buyers to the model while potentially alienating some existing Prius owners who value utility over aesthetics. I fall firmly into the camp of those who have never once contemplated owning a Prius until the 5th gen was revealed. My wife and my friends looked at me like they thought I was having a stroke when I said I wanted to buy one, and now that I have one they are...less concerned. In my opinion, there is simply no comparison from a beauty perspective of the 5th gen with any prior gen, and I also feel the new Prius is one of the most beautifully and cohesively designed cars on the market right now for under $80k.

I agree with the Lamborghini and the Ferrari comparisons, but I actually think the new Prius most closely resembles another hybrid - the BMW i8 especially from the profile with the extremely raked windshield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Meh, way too much imagination is going on when Gen 5 is compared to Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, etc. Gen 5 Prius still looks like a Prius except for the wheel size, which hurt the mpg and BEV range a lot.

In fact, BMW i8 looks more like Gen 4 Prius Prime than Gen 5 Prius, except for the wheel size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I always thought the 17-22 Prime was a great looking car, and always planned to upgrade my PiP for one. Unfortunate, life got in the way and delayed those plans. That said, I would still consider buying a used one if the market was “normal” and could save a reasonable amount on that decision, as I would still thoroughly enjoy that vehicle. Unfortunately that is not the market.

As a 2-time long-term Prius owner (17 years!), the Gen 5 is exciting for the performance and creature comfort improvements I wish the old model had (moonroof/glass roof, memory seats, wireless CarPlay, etc). So it will be exciting when there is a (yellow) Canadian Prime available for me. ;). I consider it a nice mid-life crisis treat (I recently turned 46….).:cool:

Cheers.(y)

6. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    To each his own man, but you still need to see the 2023 up close before making assertions on styling. Comparing it to a Civic is just trolling lol.

And I suspect the guy wrote this article before he ever saw the Prius in person. It was written last November.

His comment: "The side profile looks very similar between the two vehicles." indicates he either isn't playing with a full deck or just needs a new set of glasses.

Here's some of the reader comments at the end of the article:

"crazy how much better looking car it is...."

"I would happily watch a documentary on the transformation in Toyota's design studio. I can't believe these two cars came from the same company. You don't just suddenly cultivate taste."

"Like the first Mirai the last gen will go down as one of the most hideous cars ever designed. And just as with the Mirai Toyota did everything to make the following generation kinda beautiful. They definitely learn from their mistakes…about time their designers are off the bad drugs."

2023silverpriusfrntqrtr.png maxresdefault.jpg

Roqu3, Downrange, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I think they may have also been trying to coax current Prius owners to trade up. Toyota kind of shot themselves in the foot by creating the ultimate reliable car. There are Prii out there with 900k miles that are still on their first set of batteries. These cars redefine durable. I can drive across town using my battery for 70% of the journey (non-Prime). Your average driver can easily get 40% non-highway. These motors are barely broken in when a normal car is already showing signs of fatigue.

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Again, the only substantial improvement in aesthetics is the larger wheel size, which came at the cost of reduced fuel efficiency. If you put smaller wheels in Gen 5, it would probably look worse than Gen 4.

I much prefer the larger windows and higher ceiling in Gen 4 to Gen 5's sports-car-wannabe small windows and low ceiling. Prius will never be a sports car with its slow steering. By the way, speaking of Honda Civic, it is sportier according to Consumer Reports. For me, opting for Prius is because of safety, fuel efficiency, practicality, reliability, and dependability. If I were interested in a sports car, I would go a different route.

Tightwad77, daisy555 and GSK like this.
  9. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I agree with you. My 2021 Prime Limited is the best looking car I've ever seen, and the new design of the current model is a major reason why it will probably be my last Prius. I've seen a few of them on the roads around me here, and I feel more strongly than ever that it looks like the Dodge Dart! And I don't like what I've seen of the interior either.

Tightwad77 and Gokhan like this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 6.35.06 AM.png
    All in jest!
    Drive what you like.​

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How do I know my 2021 Prius Prime Limited Blue Magnetism is an objectively good-looking car? I get a lot of respect on the road—despite hypermiling, I get tailgated or honked rarely. The taillights have a unique striking design that is not over-the-top. I feel like the Gen 5 taillights are too bland and would not impress.

Interestingly, my 2020 Prius Prime XLE Classic Silver Metallic did not get as much respect. The nice shade of bright blue–green definitely makes the car look sportier and more substantial.

Tightwad77 and Sarge like this.
  12. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

[​IMG]

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry - have to agree with the many posters here talking about the giant gills. No one's looking at wheels - or the entire car for that matter - due to the gills. Like a train wreck, it's hard to turn away. Losing track of how many people have brought up the ugliness of the giant gills on the former generation Prime. But ..... looks ARE subjective.

bisco, Trollbait and Preebee like this.
  14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Hey look! The Dart has a SPARE!!! :LOL:

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That was my feeling as well about the outgoing Prime - especially in Blue Magnetism. The car looked best in that colour, and it was not close, IMO.

I think the Gen 5 is certainly beautiful, but the prior Prime is still a great looking car and doesn’t look “obsolete”. If I had one (20-22, since I need 5 seats), I would not be looking to trade up any time soon.

I have always preferred to buy slightly used vehicles to save money (I am frugal that way..), but since slightly used still cost more than new these days o_O, then new it will likely be…

16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I always liked the look of my 2019 and took great care of it. I don't know if anybody else did though... :LOL:

2019sml.jpg

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the gen 4 prime were 'objectively' beautiful, it would have gotten the same praise the gen 5 is getting.

while i like the looks of the gen 4 (other than the gills), the 5 is amazing.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you! both 4th generation Prius Prime and that BMW i8 have islands of fascinating detail scattered around their forms; very far from the monolithic look in the new Prius.

Gokhan likes this.
  19. SupersonicPrius

SupersonicPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    [​IMG]

Roqu3 likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can't have objective reviews from car enthusiasts on auto blogs. You need to drive it on the freeways and see how the general population reacts. I would have to a Gen 5 around here. With its small taillights, it probably disappears at night, when I do my most driving. Gen 4 Prime's lighted taillights at night are strikingly unique and elegant.