1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen 5 Prius really better-looking than Gen 4 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 24, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I loved my black 2019. If you want black, get black. You'll love the result whenever you wipe it down.

As far as losing options are concerned... you'll have to weigh that all out.

There is one upgrade you forgot to consider, the MASSIVE exterior styling upgrade! ;););)

Your purchase decision will become clear to you when your number comes up and you go for a test drive. :cool:

2023Prius_front_black.jpg

Tideland Prius, daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have specs for 2022 and 2023 XLE AWD and the 2023 does not list LED accent lights. So no fog lights or accents lights. What are accent lights? Fog lights removed because they are too heavy or just another cost cutting item?

Just hang out at the beach at sunset and sunrise and you will be fine. : ) Nice photo!

#142 daisy555, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2023
    Preebee likes this.
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    2023 upper trims have the corner accent lights.

5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess this commercial shows what Toyota is hoping for but it’s silver not black.

Roqu3 likes this.
  6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is just a commercial.

If you want Toyota's opinion, the color they are making Gen 5 Prius and Prius Prime in by far most is actually white. Gray is a distant second. Silver is much less than gray, closely followed by black. Red is scarce, and blue is very scarce.

White looks great, but it is just not for me.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wonder exactly how true that is.

While many early BEV buyers came from the Prius and the like, I don't think that is the case now. The Model 3 is approaching Camry sales figures in the US. The Model Y out sold the Corolla globally recently. If all those people were concerned with efficiency, the Prius should have been doing much better than it has in recent history.

Then the EV segment is still one of fewer choices, and while those choices might not be the peak of efficiency, they might beat the efficient ICE car in some other metric. Cheaper to run or lower emissions for example.
    What you think are fog lights on cars in the US aren't. real ones can be used independent of headlights. Headlights can result in a white out effect in really heavy fog. Those lower lights are driving or accent lights. They might illuminate the area right in front of the bumper a bit better, or they just light up to be seen. The new Prius seems to have more of the latter.

They aren't listed on the models' site, but they can be seen in photos. Some of which are lit. Though designers aren't above installing the cover lens to just make it look like a light is there.

daisy555 likes this.
  8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just meant the image they are going for with this new design no matter what color. I mentioned it is silver not black because I know the focus of this most recent thread is about the black.

So far I’ve seen a white XLE on the road and currently there is a white Prime at local dealership.

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If it were a luxury car, the color of choice in the commercial would definitely be black. If it were a semiluxury car, the color choice would be a bright color, such as blue, red, or green. Prius and Prius Prime are economy cars—not luxury or semiluxury cars. For economy cars, the color choice in the commercials is typically silver or some other neutral, unnoticeable color.

10. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, how many previous Prius drivers have switched to a Model Y when they could have gotten a Model 3?

Of course that's not an exactly fair comparison as the Model 3 isn't a hatchback. But still, it seems for some of those who have gone EV the small gains in efficiency between a Model 3 and a Y had zero bearing on their decision.

I also see a lot who consider themselves eco-friendly who are quick to ridicule the Aptera without attibuting any merrit to the attempt to increase efficiency. Again, sadly there is no apples to apples comparison here, but it seems the general thought is "who cares if it could have been more efficient by not being bigger, as long as it was a little more efficient than the last car." Correct me if I'm wrong.

The acceptance of the Gen 5 Prius is also somewhat of the same story, only this time about power, not size. People want more power and size, not necessarily more efficiency.

11. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

How about ev range? That’s why I bought my RAV4 Prime; and why I’d buy the current Prius Prime. I can get at least two days of commuting out of a new Prius Prime. Couldn’t do that with the old one.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting….I don’t see it that way. Probably also depends where you live. Where I live luxury cars are black, silver and white. Historically speaking as well. I’m obviously generalizing but wealthy people tend to gravitate towards neutral colored cars. Los Angeles would be quite different from New England.

Then there are the wealthy or mid life crisis guys who are desperately seeking attention in their bright colored sports cars. : )

I wasn’t saying the image in the commercial had anything to do with the Prius being a luxury car. It’s an eye catching image which is obviously working.

#152 daisy555, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny enough, I saw a lot of white cars when I lived in a snowy place.

But likely a ho-hum design.

Our local carshare uses black for their car colour and I've seen 3 Gen 5 Prii in black. It looks so sleek, especially at night.

#153 Tideland Prius, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Preebee likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there not any nice looking cars larger than gen 5 prius?

15. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I never particularly liked a white car. I think “blizzard pearl” looks great now that I have it. Somebody told me my gen 4 prime limited in blizzard was “a good looking car.” I was shocked. I wouldn’t go that far, but do like the blizzard pearl which was a $425 option when new. Pearls have that glittery depth effect I guess, up close.
    I think you only live once get what you want if can. Get the latest creation. Up to a reasonable point. They shouldn’t even put Prius on the back, let people guess, and they wouldn’t guess Prius.

Preebee likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, seen enough not consider a Corolla hybrid because of the lack of a hatch. The the efficiency loss of choosing a Model Y over a 3 is 2% to 7%. Choosing a new Prius Prime over the hybrid is 8% to 9%. Toyota hasn't published the MPGe of the new PP, but it likely will be around that of the Model Y RWD.

Even if more hybrids are traded in for a Tesla than average, hybrids were never a big seller in the US. The majority of cars being swapped for a Tesla are plain ICEs. Nearly as many Honda's are traded in as Toyota's. Ford and BMW are also popular trade ins.The two friends with a Model 3 came from a BMW and an Audi. Neither ever had a hybrid, nor spoke of efficiency being top priority.
    Tesla Reveals What Cars Tesla Buyers Trade In

Part of the growth in SUV sales was because new models were rated as well as people's old sedans. I brought up Tesla's sales numbers because there isn't enough buyers interested in efficiency alone to support them. The Prius only did well when gas prices were high. When those dropped down, many of them traded in the Prius for the car they really wanted. The reason EVs are doing better than hybrids is because they offer more than just efficiency.

I'm considering an Aptera, but I won't be calling it a car. Note that it will be around the size of a Prius.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  17. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not? Nowadays everything is called a car, including vehicles like Chevy Suburbans. :ROFLMAO:

18. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Those trading in their 55 Chev for the 58 likely thought the 58 was the one in style after the new model ad blitz. Those liking the 55 and keeping were not necessarily justifying, that would require mind reading to know. I definitely want a woman who likes me not what car I have. Some like the car as a magnet, so it takes all kinds. That depiction makes me say the 60 mpg no question.

daisy555 likes this.
  19. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    When I was teaching a motorcycle safety course I would use heated seats in summer with the AC on. Not like it was cold either, the warmth was nice on the sore back and legs even in +40c weather.

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Preebee, daisy555 and Isaac Zachary like this.