1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Gen4 an Aztec of 2010s?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, Oct 31, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am curious if Gen4 will have rear view mirror visibility issue like Prius C.

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Several people and documents claim the rear view is better than previous versions.

The problem I have with the rear view on my G2 is that the lower window is totally useless. If it were solid it would make no difference. I suspect the total (upper + lower) view on the G4 is less but the upper alone is more than the upper on the previous versions. Since I consider the lower to be useless, I suspect as well that the G4 is better.

3. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It depends on your priorities.
    G4 proportions better for crosswinds, gusts, high G turns and carrying wider items.
    G3 proportions better for narrow roads, narrow garages, doorway headroom when getting in and out of car and carrying long tall items.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The G4 roof is 55mm lower, but the floor is 110mm lower (I'm pulling these from memory, so I might be off a bit). The upshot is that it should be better for carrying taller items, not worse. The G4's turning radius is 10cm shorter than G3. Doorway headroom is better based on seat height, worse based on ground height.

5. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I think that the main rear view improvement compared to the G3 will be at the C pillars.

I don't use the G3 lower window much while driving but its useful going over a crest and when backing up. I'd rather have it than not have it.

For long tall items, its clear height from the folded back seat to the top of the hatch opening that counts. That looks lower in the G4.

For older people, its clear height from the ground to the top of door opening that counts. Lowering the seat generally makes the access problem worse.

#45 energyandair, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's funny. I have elderly family members that love my Prius because of the low step height and low seats. And now I'm hearing several people complaining that lowering the step height and seats makes access worse, not better.

I was just shopping for a 6-7 seater. I wanted the 7-seat V but they never brought it to the US. So it came down to a Rav-4 with 3rd row or a Mazda 5. We ended up with the Mazda 5, in large part due to lower step height and lower seats for those elderly people.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the elderly like low seating, it's the youth that have a hard time with it.;)

cyclopathic likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On C it is top of the roof an rear headrests, on G3 it is split window and tonneau, if you left it up.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Personally, I always go for function over form, yes all prii are butt ugly, but they are by far the best choice for daily transport.
    The Aztec was a pos, not even worth thinking about, other than how it makes you laugh to look at one, just like duba

bisco likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but the Gen 2 also had narrow-ish tires. The Gen 3 fixed that if you opted for the 215/45R17 tires. The crosswind stability should be better in the Gen 4 if not for the wider standard wheels (195 vs. 185 for the Gen 2) and the rear suspension mount (less side-to-side flex). The Gen 3 also added an underbody brace. (Some people added the BT Brace for the Gen 2 and claim better stability and handling)

The Gen 3's lower window is only slightly taller than the Gen 2 (I notice that headlights of the preceding car that's stopped behind me were blocked in the Gen 2 but are now coming through the lower rear window). The Gen 4's lower rear window is visually taller. But a taller lower rear window means nothing if Toyota can't provide a way to clean it from the driver's seat. It's either covered in oil/grime (rain) or sand (snow).

The G4 is only 15mm wider but the redesigned rear suspension could help with stability and I suppose the profile too.

11. TonyWilkey

TonyWilkey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NO

spwolf and bisco like this.
  12. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    What numbers are you using? The numbers I've seen are 1770 [from that dimensional diagram that's been posted] vs 1745 [from Toyota Canada's Gen 3 specs] for a 25 mm (1") difference.

While 25mm is not a lot, its enough to be noticeable where external clearances are tight as well as within the cabin.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, but when you say 'function' it seems you are mainly referring to 2nd / 3rd gen practicality (liftback) , efficiency and storage cubbies. But, function can also be driveability and the 3rd gen is an 'ok' highway cruiser but not great IMO: Needs a more steady feel on highway. 4th gen should be better at that.

Hmmm, I can't think of any other cars that have the 'straight line sweepback' from the hood to the windshield as the Prius/c/v.
    I think the gen 4 will look more like other sedans (Civic, etc ....) but still look like a Prius and be unique.

#53 cycledrum, Nov 2, 2015
  14. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try lowering rear pressure. With 42/38 front/rear G3 is stable. And I doubt G4 will be much better in this department, Toyota will never make it better than CT200.

Well maybe for you, but look what "pretty" did to Sonata sales:
    Sonata.png
    Gen 6 was released in 2010 and sales almost immediately doubled.

The difference btw this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes Gen4 will still sell to Prius fanboys and those who look for MPG and function, but will the sales double? doubtfully

Your are right, Prius will sell in some numbers. The biggest difference is that Prius is an established model with fanboy base, and Aztec (spelled with c btw) was a new comer. It is also far more reliable and functional car, more refined in many ways, so styling will not be deterrent for the ones who look for MPG first and function. But will the sales on Prius double? Doubt they can even sell it in the same numbers as Gen3.

Of cause if this happens Toyota will blame it on low gas prices, not on busai styling.

#54 cyclopathic, Nov 2, 2015
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not likely, but it won't be because of styling. you're comparing apples and oranges, as usual.

of course, do you really believe there's no relationship between gas prices and alt fuel vehicles?
    or even large and small vehicles?

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Gen 6 was released in 2010 and sales almost immediately doubled.
    I am pretty sure Hyundai made some mechanical changes too:
    [​IMG]

And there is the Sonata hybrid too.

Bob Wilson

#56 bwilson4web, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just looking at the 2009 vs 2015 Sonata pictures above, it seems like all the stylists have gone kinda nuts in the last few years.

My son-in-law is with Ford, had a new Escape (2016 I think), just to drive. I noticed on the front corners of the bumper, the ubiquitous black, faux-grill openings, about a foot square. Just pure black plastic, in a recess, they do nothing. These designers are brain-dead lemmings.

I better take my meds...

bwilson4web and telmo744 like this.
  18. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sonata2.png

$4,400 more, twice worse MPG, and still outsells Prius 2:1. Yeah, sure, "pretty" has nothing to do with it. It is just the expected premium you pay for buying Korean car over Japanese.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where are you guys getting these comparisons you're posting, btw. Looks interesting.

20. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kelley Blue Book, Good car bad car

Mendel Leisk likes this.