1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is GW a hoax perpetuated by scientists?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Pinto Girl, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good n' all, but you haven't answered the question.

Either you feel that this moment in time is some sort of high water mark for human civilization, or you don't.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That, and these things are highly driven by technological innovation, which we still do well. China's trying to make airliners, but they're coming in overbudget—good thing they don't really have strict budgets in a Communist country that's decided to build an industry no matter what. And overweight—which means they won't compete well against more efficient products, leaving Chinese domestic airlines as the primary customers in a highly sheltered market.

Not only that, but the avionics, engines, and key parts of the structure are based on Western technology.

This stuff isn't like high speed rail or an insta-city, where it's just a matter of pouring lots of money and concrete.

I contend that the lack of protection of intellectual property in China actually stifles development of the things we're discussing here. That, in my opinion, is a key issue.

On the military side, industrial espionage drives their aircraft development...but what's a stumbling block of that new stealth fighter/bomber we're hearing so much about? The engines and avionics.

3. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Q

It's hard and useless to try and protect intellectual property that you stole from another country.

As far as this being a high mark in society, depends on your idea of good and bad. We're raising a new generation of "texters" who lack basic communication skills without a smartphone and 2 thumbs.

The same Wall Street mafia that participated in our current economic downturn are again getting 7 figure bonuses.

In a little over a year from now, we will all "have" to buy health insurance with premiums, that since the passage of Obama care, have been raised many times the rate of inflation in anticipation of govt mandated health care. Oh, and we get fined if we don't buy in. Their war chests are full and the premiums are already inflated.

We are certainly a more advanced society in terms of technology and luxuries but it's hard to say in terms of morals providing a better future for the "texters" of tomorrow.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  5. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Been away,, sorry for the delay. I think for a variety of reasons we are post high water mark for human civilization. Strictly from a "quality of life issue" my ideal high water mark world, is one of limited population but great technology. Imagine how cool the world would be with 1/10 the population, but we still had IT, great cars, planes etc, but the human impact would be small enough that issues like GHG and CO2, and peak oil etc would not be much of an issue.

Icarus

6. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    2 people like this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    3 people like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And since 2007, that job is to support Rupert Murdoch.

2 people like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you cannot take seriously publication which states that obama tax rate on rich will be 80%.

11. mrcuiser

mrcuiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A couple of quick side things. I have a quick solution for all the worrywarts out there who feel threatened by "Obamacare". Whatever threats and counterthreats you offer in order to maintain the status quo is NOT going to solve anything, coming up with other and better ideas will if you have a problem with it. My solution is quite simple.

First of all, I think it is atrocious that we as a superpower do not have full medical like quite a few other countries. Of course they are not perfect and of course any imperfections are used as instant and absolute ammunition to deny any changes in the way the money is flowing. I have two solutions to the medical in this country.

You either have full medical for EVERYONE and I mean everyone.

Or, and I kinda prefer this one:

You have it for NOBODY. And I mean NOBODY! Not government, military, welfare, retirees, kids, handicapped, nobody. And I mean NOBODY, NOBODY, NOBODY!

I am not saying either solution is very likely to happen, but if you wanna see medical crash down in price, get rid of the unbelievable cost and profit of medical being spread and shared through subsidies, government, insurance, and any other way it can be done. Just get rid of the supports and you would be amazed how medical would all of a sudden be able to swim on it's own....

Now to the tax thing.

Once again tax threats on the rich.. Seriously, how much more money do we need to give them? They already have the Bush cuts and refuse to let go of them. Also any tax cut of that magnitude will not pass because it would have to go through the House and Congress, and more than a couple of them fall into the same bracket. Not to mention all the tax writeoffs the rich get to the point where even mega companies that post a profit can not only write off their taxes, but can actually get refunds on top of their tax breaks and subsidies on top of everything else. You wanna change this stuff?? Easy, eliminate all the tax breaks for EVERYONE and just have a flat tax which applies to everyone! Of course once again this will not happen due to threats and scare tactics by rich folk.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ well said and those ideas have been floating around for years... so why don't they get implemented? Government is big business.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the best government money can buy, but somehow it is still better than most of the worlds because on limits on it.

I wonder if we can get some funding for this idea

Eco-Freaks, #Occupy Movement And Al Gore Design 2012 Prius Engine | Sad Hill News

I think it could work, well at least much better than solyndra. A friends mom is in cat rescue, so I have a great number of potential engines:D

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This would be a fun post to reply to......in the political forum. Unfortunately, it's in the wrong place.....of which means that you will not get much response from those who like to follow forum discipline.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What the heck, I'll hijack too.

If you remember Murray Salby, he caused some stir with a youtube video describing his idea that atmospheric CO2 increases came from warming surface oceans, not from fossil-fuel combustion. We had a thread about it here. I was curious whether a paper had been published, so checked google scholar.

No, it seems, but I found that he wrote the atmospheric physics chapter in a Trenberth (I assume you'ver heard that name) 1992 book on climate change. Most or all of that chapter can also be freely read on google books. It really is the standard textbook treatment, with scary equations about heat, water and momentum transfer. In other words, he knows that stuff and once was in the other camp, so to speak.

I found that worth mentioning, although I still can't figure out how he convinced himself of the 'novel' idea concerning CO2. If a publication does appear, I'll just hijack another thread :)

17. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately the lower/middle tax rates will go up also under the dem plan and just like gas price hikes, the increase will hurt that faction much worse than a symbolic increase on the so called rich.

If Obamacare were truly a good plan, then EVERYONE would have received the no pre-condition waiver instead of just children for the first 2 years That's why medical insurance rates took the largest 2 year increase (gee what a coincidence) in history during a flat almost zero inflation economy immediately after Ocare was announced. He's a republican at heart and gave in to big business just like the big bad republicans. Obama allowed the insurance industry 2 years to load their coffers and they will take another increase just before Ocare takes full effect. Then the best part, we get fined for not participating, another hit to those in the lower/middle class who can't afford his grand plan.

18. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't disagree but I haven't followed many posts yet that stay on point. No different than lining up 20 people and starting a message at person 1 and whispering the message down the line. It NEVER ends even close to how it started. This one started on a political hot button and ended on one. I've seen worse here.

19. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    On-topic, aside from the obvious bias that WSJ may possess, I am tired of hearing about this consensus on so-called global warming and what is causing it that is anything but.

Granted the Repubs did float a similar plan in the 1990s, but it was never passed, and it was the Democratic majority that delivered the Obamacare abomination (oftentimes scheming behind closed doors and with its loudest advocates ludicrously claiming we need to pass it before we can see what's in it). Second, to posit that only the Republicans are in bed with big business is a fallacy. For example, the industry advocates of SOPA and PIPA paid handsome amounts to members of both parties, with D candidates receiving 2.4 times the amount received by Rs. As long as this partisan thinking continues, nothing will ever change (aside from a total collapse).

One thing's for certain, Ocare as it stands today (I completely agree with your waiver comments) will bring on an unprecedented level of civil disobedience in its liberty-smashing wake, and I hope the IRS and the debtor prisons are ready.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    New (online only so far) in Nature (journal). A revised determination of icemelt across the globe. It falls in my 'good news' category because they have revised downward the melt rate of Himalayan ice. Quite a bit actually, so if you weren't ready to abandon "ice gone by 2035", now you probably can :p

They separate icemelt into about 23 regions and you can see which ones have steady melt rates (like Alps) and which ones are increasing (like Alaska). Might be worth seeing your librarian to get a copy of this one.

Science marches on, notably this (rather costly) satellite stuff. GRACE satellites seem to be able to keep track of gigatons. Nifty,

I continue to hijack threads. Was actually looking for a pirate-themed smiley but no joy.