1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it a good idea to buy a high milage prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RandyHouston, Jul 14, 2015.

1. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Being on this forum since I started looking at buying a prius in July, I have noticed that buying a high mileage prius isn't as bad as it's made to look.

Here are a few things I've noticed.

1. People who keep worrying about mileages should be careful. Mileages can easily be tempered with our reduced esp. taxis. I've seen lots of that on IAAI.
    2. A good VIN check goes a long way to alleviate your fears of regular maintenance and tempered mileage.
    3. As long as the AC, shocks and the traction battery works, you should be fine. The rest are not too expensive to change

I got my 2010 from IAAI. Had about 230k miles on it. I paid roughly $6k. It drives very smoothly, battery chargers and discharges as expected. You won't even notice this is a 230k mileage car.

I also think the price she's asking for is a bit high. Look else where. But definitely buy a prius if you already haven't. You would definitely save extra money on fuel (even if the office of fuel reduces) to buy a few beers for the boys.... I filled my tank and after a week (107.8m) the gauge had hardly moved. Initially I was scared since my previous corolla used about a full tank per week.

The only disadvantages I see are

1. The Prius drives very low
    2. If you are a speed demon you won't enjoy the beauty of this car
    3. You need patience to understand the car (well not really a disadvantage)
    4. The rear windshield is a bit annoying

2. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yea, save allot of money. New cars fail too. Had a brand new ford transmission go out after a week...whats annoying is monthly payments plus repair costs...ouch!
    No guarantees...

3. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think 10k for 2010 Prius with 124miles is way too high.
    I bought a 2010 Prius III Hatchback "Life" for 12'000€ ~ 13,354.84$ with 105'000km ~ 65'000miles (in Germany). It should drive ok and I don't think you'll have any issues with it (unless there are already some hidden ones) but this price is way too high for this mileage.

4. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely too pricey...there are many many used pri out there...2010? I scouted around and found many around 5-7k...really sharp ones... Daily drivers. Do the research and pick one that passes your tests..look for the obvious, dont rush and have it checked out by a toyota master mechanic where possible and then enjoy...Again there are no guarantees...warrantees cover only so much for only so long anyway...