1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it a mistake to get a gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cirno, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Cirno

Cirno New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2008 to 2009 models seem to be a lot harder to find than the gen 3 ones but the gen 2s are not noticeably cheaper, probably because the 2010 models already got hit by the heaviest annual depreciation. It's something like $1000 to $2000 less than a comparable gen 3, if even that, in my area.

As far as I know, all technical aspects are noticeably in favor of the gen 3 models--more powerful while higher mpg, easier to drive at high mpg, improved hybrid system, removal of more unreliable old technology like some of the belts and the ignition contact, disc brakes, etc.

And it's easy to get a CPO gen 3 from a Toyota dealer, while a CPO gen 2 is much rarer.

But... the feel I find to be in favor of the gen 2.

Particularly:
    1. the smaller armrest on the gen 2, using a lot of folding parts, makes the gen 2 feel a lot less cramped in the front compared to the large console on the gen 3.

2. rear cup holder folds out of the armrest instead of taking a seat slot.

3. nice, large display for the hybrid system to teach a newbie how to drive the Prius. Plus it looks like a Nintendo console's display rather than a digital clock.

4. heretical as this might sound, I like the mouse appearance of the gen 2 a lot better than the gen 3.

Unsettled:
    I've read some vague comparisons about gen 2 vs gen 3 steering. IIRC, gen 3 is a lot more floaty, boatlike, while gen 2 is more twitchy and responsive. Is that about right? Which is easier to turn?

Anyone want to share some wisdom as to whether it's a good idea to satisfy my vanity instead of going for the practical choice?

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to agree with you on counts! I really dislike that center thing, it's too restrictive IMHO! The display is really good looking, easy to read, and helpful. The Gen III was a step down!

Go for a 08 or 09, I love my 08 Gen II, 40k, 51 mpg so far on this tank!

3. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whether you bought a Gen I, Gen II, or Gen III...it's never a mistake when it comes to buying a Prius. I've rented Gen II and Gen II before buying a Gen III....and I really liked both Generations. As for me though, I like the center console in the Gen III, as it looks ultra modern and different than the rest of the cars I've driven.

WE0H likes this.
  4. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius

I agree on points 1 through 4. When I bought my Gen 3, was frustrating getting some things that I felt were a step backwards from the Gen 2 but there were other things that were far more important for me.

Must haves included legroom that was adequate for my long legs and vehicle stability control which some Gen 2s don't have. Better traction control and better air conditioning were other big pluses.

IIRC, I thought that the Gen 3 handled better but its been a while since I've driven a Gen2.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As you say Gen3 has many technical improvements, but some people feel the Gen2 fits like a glove vs. Gen3 is a car you are driving. You won't miss the extra 2-3 MPG.

6. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always buy the newest IMO

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    buy the one you like, they're all great. all the best!(y)

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one negative I hear a lot about second gen is the "bladder" gas tank: some are ok, some are partially collapsing or something. Not sure how prevalent it is. There's also been a fairly significant recall, involving coolant pump replacement? And another, something about the steering linkage?

alekska and xpcman like this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I waited a LONG time to get my Prius. When I first started looking was around 2009-2010 right before the release of the then new Gen 3.

I looked at and test drove 2009 gen 2's, but curiosity about the reality of the soon to be released Gen 3 kept me from purchasing one of the last supply of the new Gen 2's.

To be honest? I like Gen 2's. I personally like the "geekier"? styling. Probably my #1 reason for NOT getting a Generation 2, either new or later used, was the fact that I live in Oregon a state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas. Having read some threads about peoples sometimes difficulties dealing with the Gen 2's gas bladder, as some people fill at a slower rate...turn the nozzle upside down etc, etc...I worried about living in Oregon and having to depend on some attendant to properly fill the gas bladder "if" I had any problem.

Therefore the regular gas tank on the Gen 3 was a big selling feature for me. There are other differences of course, simply being a newer vehicle, heat reclamation system as opposed to Coolant Thermos, Beltless Engine...

But really my advice is get what you can afford and what you want the most. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Gen 2, if I felt good about it's price and condition.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want a 2nd gen base model that handles even worse, feels more chintzy than a 3rd gen Prius. Go on a really bumpy road at slow speed in 2nd gen Prius. Feels cruddy.

3rd gen Prius has reduction gear for one of the motor generators allowing it to EV at higher speeds. 2nd gen Prius does not have this. Been a long time since driving a 2nd gen (thank gawd), but IRC, 3rd gen reliabily EVs a lot more around 25 mph zones, parking lots, etc... Seems like the 2nd gen gas engine fired up a lot more.

I drove a rental Camry SE again today ... that's more like I would like my car to handle: Seems lower center of gravity, turns flatter, feels more grounded. Few interior details off, but it was pretty planted to the ground and fairly quiet on highway.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The above is one of the reasons the GIII gets better mileage.
    Keeping in mind the Prius is an "electronic car" more so than any other car and that electronics gets out of date quickly, it's not surprising the GIII is "better". As for handling, either car handles fine on any road and at any speed you would likely encounter, unless you are a race car driver on a track. I find the GIII (Pearl S) to "hunt" on the road a little more than the GII (Pearl) did, but the GII has Nokian tyres on it and they improved the handling a lot. My GIII still has the OEM tyres, often termed "rim protectors".
    The only thing I would be wondering about is the traction battery. It does have a limited life, and a newer Prius should have one that will last longer, just because it's newer.

I -suspect- the GIIs are still holding their value well because taxi companies want them as they have done all the work and have all the equipment to convert them, and may use a low mileage used unit to replace a worn out or collision destroyed Prius taxi.

I found the "flying bridge" console to be a non-issue once I got used to it.
    You do loose some storage space in the GIII, as the "hidden" storage drawer is gone and the under-floor hatch tray is a bit smaller.
    But if you want a sun-roof or other high tech stuff the GIII is the only option.
    With the GPS screen you get back the large screen display of the car's status (among other things).
    But you shouldn't be driving while looking at that screen in either car!
    I do find the instrument display easier to watch in the GIII while not taking my eyes off the road.
    The "extra power" is a non-issue. Either car has "adequate power" (as the Rolles Royce company would put it).

cthorsman likes this.
  12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Driven Camry SE / Accord or the like lately? My three's feel on road, turn-in, turning feels fairly stinky compared to aforementioned. Even CR says 'handles secure, but not agile'. I know what they're saying. Where's some fun turning the thing? Must improve to stand up more against the Cams, Accs, Opts, and all, even Civic. 4th gen hopefully becomes more mainstream while keeping FE.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive a Plus Perf Prius if you can. I'm impressed with it :D It ain't Grounded to the Ground though :p

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Style and function wise, I prefer Gen 2 over Gen 3. I hate the flying buttress. It feels more open in the Gen 2. The cup holder on the Gen 3 is hopeless. There's no place for a mug handle. You'll just have to burn your hands on a tall glass of homemade coffee. The 2012 model moved the 2nd cup holder so that the armrest doesn't intrude into the backseat but it's still awkward.

However, Gen 3 trumps Gen 2 on more power and superior fuel economy. Face it, Prius doesn't have a lot of power. I'll take all I can get if it doesn't affect fuel economy. Gen 3 also feels smoother and quieter. The cost difference would have to be much greater than $2000 before I choose a 2009 over a 2010.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not? One thing can say about Camry SE 4 cyl is it hugs the roads quite well. I'd like more of that in, oh my gosh.... Prius.

WE0H likes this.
  16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was refering to that Camry commercial where the chick said her SE was Grounded to the Ground :D The Camry SE drives very well. I've had 2 of them as rentals so far. I'd like to rent a Sienna SE to check it out some day :p

My Prius corners very flat and goes where I point it. Impressive for a bone stock hybrid car :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was a cool commercial.
    I'd like to find out how well the Accords drive since the rags all have it up for them, except buzzkill Honda has no rental policy.

WE0H likes this.
  18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If gen2 has no HSI display, that is a deal breaker for me. I use it all the time in city driving to modulate the gas/brake pedals.

19. Cirno

Cirno New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They have something like the HSI in the middle of the dashboard. It's a shared touchscreen with the radio controls and such. The information display is a bit different.

20. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are a few things I like about my Gen II that I just bought last weekend:

1. Mouse-like look.

2. There's no "bridge" so it feels VERY spacious up-front

3. It looks like it's smiling; the Gen III looks somewhat aggressive.

4. I like the fold-down rear cupholders.

5. I like the conservative rim styling.

6. I like the shifter and its position better (makes it feel like a boat to me.... lol)

7. The interior styling overall is much less flashy in a Gen II. This I prefer.

8. The steering wheel is easier for me to grip than a Gen III's.

That's about everything I can list... My opinion: Get a Gen II if it's in your budget and you like it more. It was in the cards for me. 2006 model with nav., smartkey, 81,000 miles, brand new battery pack, owned by a very meticulous 70-something driver, and a great price. Just be sure to check the CARFAX and keep the miles below 100K if you can.