1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it bad the hyrbid battery of a prius to sit for 20 months?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BentSpace, Jun 4, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No

2. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems like it would have been a good addition.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if anyone has such a system. Honda's Maintenance Minder at least takes it a step further: it's not documented exactly what it monitors, but it's not just a dumb mileage counter. I would guess it measures mean coolant temp, number of starts, maybe a few other things.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GM has an oil monitoring system too, but I'm not convinced it's really that effective...it also seems to use a computer algorhythm of some sort.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. That's a GM thing...(like automatic headlights, retained power, extendable visors, etc...) Other OEMs use it too, or something like it.

The OLMS is actually a little smarter than just a mileage ticker, or a goofy algorithm. I know it's fashionable to dump on GM in this site, but even a broken clock is right twice a day...if it's an analog clock that is... :D
    OLMS gee-whizz info (shamelessly copied from some site or other...:)
    A few years back, GM introduced a system called the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) system. This system had been in testing since 1984 and actually was put into some Buicks on a test basis. The goal of this system? To extend oil change intervals and attain bragging rights to having a more maintenance-free vehicle. The OLM monitors crankcase temp, moisture, and combustion chamber events (this represents the actual work the engine is doing while in operation). By closely monitoring these elements of engine operation the system can measure the serviceable life of the oil to within 10%. After officially introducing the OLM with virtually no engine failures attributed it the OLM [sic], GM changes their service recommendations to what they called an "Enhanced Maintenance Schedule." With the Enhanced Schedule, the motorist need only follow the dictates of the OLM and have other scheduled services done at prescribed intervals.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I thought it was your checking account balance. :eek:

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be just the ticket for Prius owners who regularly leave their car sitting for long periods of time. The device will charge your HV battery to keep it from going into a full deep discharge.

Grid Charger - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

Thanks to WhatDrivesUs podcast for this info and the interview with Mike.

If you would like more info on the device you can listen to an interview with the designer of this product on Episode #66 of What Drives Us.

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IIRC I read somewhere that the Hybrid battery should hold its charge for at least 10 months if the car is switched off, not sure what happens after that. I would think that the car would have been moved around sometimes during the 20 month period and hence the battery would have received a little top up now and then from the ICE. It doesn't take much running to recharge the traction battery, mine goes from 2 bars to 7 in 1-2 miles of driving.
    Re: changing the oil, wouldn't this Prius sitting on the forecourt have been due a 12 monthly service some time during this 20 month period ?

9. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think I would request a CarFax report on this vehicle before entering into negotiations with the dealer. 20 months seems like an awfully long time to sit in inventory, racking up flooring costs that would exceed the profit in it for the dealer. Was it damaged in shipment or on the lot, and repairs delayed due to unavailability of parts? Ask to see the info plate showing the date of manufacture. Allowing for several weeks in shipping and delivery to the dealer will give you a more accurate idea of how long it has really been on the lot, rather than accepting the word of a salesperson. It could have arrived about the time the 2011 models were due, and that could have contributed to the situation with this particular vehicle.

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in Diego-right?
    I'd be deeeeeeeeeply suspicious of a PRIUS in SO-CAL that's been sitting on the lot for 20-months!!!
    I wouldn't bite---unless they're offering you book (preferably less than retail) for a 20-month old used G3---whatever that happens to be. Yeah...it only has 10 miles on the clock, but it has 20-months of exterior weather wear, to say nothing of improper storage, which really isn't that big a deal mechanically speaking---but it should make for a sharp negotiating tool.
    CARFAX isn't going to help you. If the dealer is shady enough to sell you a [sic] new car without disclosing any known damage to the car, they're also probably smart enough to ensure that no records exists.

Like I said....I think I'd take a pass on this one, unless they're willing to deal.

TIFWIW...

11. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the car is on the East Coast, so I got to fly out to get it, sight unseen.

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmm....that might be different...depending on where on the East Coast. Demand for Priuses is little lower in some of these states...unless you're talking about one of those itty-bitty blue ones. Gas is cheaper ($3.25 per gallon for my last tank) and there are some places new cars just aren't moving due to the economy.
    The weather related wear and tear might also be a little more different, but the snow and ice (if present) might at least have attenuated some of the UV damage. :D
    Still......it might just work out OK.
    I hope it does.
    I have to give you kudos for intestinal fortitude in buying a car...sight unseen, and driving it back across the country after it's been languishing on the lot for 20-months.
    Get the 12-V battery replaced before you drive back, or at the very least pack a set of jumper cables and familiarize yourself with the procedure for jump starting a G3 with a dead battery...
    ...if you plan to stop the car along the way that is.

Good Luck!
    Keep a trip log, and let us know how it shakes out!!!

It ought to be an interesting trip....;)