1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it bad to be in EV a lot?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by ericmj, Jun 16, 2017.

1. ericmj

ericmj New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. Just purchased a 2017 Prius C Two a few days ago. Have been breaking it in during the summer break and currently sitting at around 320 miles. I want to know if it is bad to run the car in EV mode a lot? For some reason I feel like even though my MPG is fantastic - easily reaching upper 50s with passengers and into 70s when I'm alone (even reached 80 at one point) - my gas gauge has fallen to about four bars left after only a few days, and I have been in EV every chance I get (pulsing to speed limit, then EVing to maintain until I hit a stop light or something - yes many people pass me). Granted I've driven 300+ miles on a single tank (dealer filled it up when I bought it, at which point it had 13 miles)... Am I tripping? For reference I bought it Sunday and it is now Thursday night. Or is being in EV good? Is there a way to check overall EV usage for the car?

Thanks everyone

2. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi ericmj, if you are trying to judge your gas mileage based on how far you can drive on a tank of gas, then you should take into account that the fuel tank of your Avalon was about 85% larger than the Prius C tank. You will probably notice the difference when you pay for your first tank of gas.

The mpg display is good for short term comparison of driving conditions and techniques. But the only way to accurately and reliably track your true gas mileage is to record the odometer reading and the amount of gasoline filled every single time that you refuel. Many people use Fuelly.com for that.

Using EV mode too much can and will worsen your gas mileage and also unnecessarily reduce the life of your battery. On the other hand, some experienced hypermilers know where and when to use a little more EV mode to improve their gas mileage.

I hope you don't mind if I also reuse an answer from a previous thread:

3. TheBippi

TheBippi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've wondered this myself but I let my car dictate which mode makes sense rather than forcing the EV Mode. Also when I started driving my C Three, I had to get used to the adjusted way to drive it since it can't be driven like a non-hybrid.

Since I drive a lot of highway, I ramp my car up to the speed I need then coast back with EV to level me to 40 MPH to maintain speed. I avoid trying to push my car to the Power level unless absolutely necessary along with avoiding the #4 lane. I usually stick to #2 & #3 so I can maintain 65-70 MPH when the coast is clear and not kill my MPG rating.

Hope that makes sense!

InPriusLove likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base