1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it better to start a new thread or search for an existing one?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Judgeless, Nov 6, 2012.

?
  1. The best thing is to learn from others and search.

91.7%
  2. No, I am lazy and will always start a new thread.

8.3%
  1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I spend a lot of time on forums, reading and contributing. I understand that some forums do not have the best search engine. At lease people should try. It creates a mess if every time someone had a question they start a new thread. The post below is an example of someone that just does not care. They will start a new thread no matter what. The worse thing is someone liked the his post. That makes me think maybe there are a lot of people with these views. That’s why I started this poll. Just to get an idea on the trend at Prius Chat.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    lensovet likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Admit it, you were too lazy to type the I.

lensovet likes this.
  4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought new threads would help generate more page views and more ad revenues for the site. silly me.

5. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is pretty funny. But I think this makes my point (by the way, it's my post that is quoted in the original post). I think the OP's failure to do a search on this topic is probably the reason why starting a new thread is OK. It (maybe) generates new information, new opinions, and maybe changed opinions.

But to the OP, why didn't you search for the old thread and just tack on to that one? Or even if you did search, why did you decide to start a new thread anyway?

Mike

6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The general trend of forums to search and learn. I was put back by your views that you’re just too lazy for that. Then someone liked your post. I thought the world was changing in front of me. The survey shows there are just a few bad apples.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are systems that match subject strings in a live search as you compose. I want to say the old Priuschat did that, but I could be incorrect.

Either way, this has been moved to a more relevant forum. Yea, people will have to search for it. Please don't dirty up the Gen III+ main forum w/ non Gen III posts.

In fact, if I were to poll, I would ask whether we should have quite so many forums to divide topics, or just one per generation? It seems most people don't properly use delineation anyway (this thread included until I moved it).

I also fixed the poll to remove the missing "I".

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Organizing a hierarchy that meets everyone's goals and objectives would be a task for Sisyphus. An approach I've come to admire is Google News ability to select areas of interests by weighting them. This makes it easier for me to find articles:
    • Top list: World, U.S., Technology, Science, Health
    • Middle list: Auto, Solar Power, Space, Physics, Elections
    • Not on list: Business, Entertainment, Sports
    So what I would like is user assignable, Dewey Decimal-like, for each forum. Upon creating a new account, each forum would have a default assignment, possibly looking exactly like we have today. But the user would have the ability to change the ranking, essentially tailoring PriusChat to meet their needs. For example:
    • 1.0.0 News & Newbies
      • 1.1.0 Toyota Prius Accesory Shop
      • 1.2.0 Newbie Forum
      • 1.3.0 Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News
    • 2.0 Toyota Prius v Forums
      • 2.1.0 Prius v Main Forum
      • 2.2.0 Prius v Technical Discussion
      • . . .
    So I might change it around:
    • 1.0.0 Toyota Technical
      • 1.1.0 NHW11 Technical
      • 1.2.0 ZVW30 Technical
      • 1.3.1 NHW20 Technical
    • 2.0.0 News & Newbies
      • Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News
      • Environmental
      • Toyota Prius Accessory Shop
      • . . .
    What I'm suggesting is to allow us to tailor the order of PriusChat forums to meet our goals and objectives. 'Gear heads' will easily find our peers to chat with . . . 'Advocates' will find their arenas . . .

Well that is what I would want. But going back to the "Have you stopped beating your wife?" question of this poll, my answer is "it depends."
    1. Is it a subject I want to find other posts? . . . use search at the top level
    2. Is it the political pillow forum, Fred's House of Politics, then even the subject line is an assertion.
    It didn't take long to figure out that the subject line is all that mattered as there were few, if any, actual exchanges of information. Like the "Have you stopped beating your wife?" question, the subject lines were often an assertion that was disconnected from the body of the post and often ignored.

Bob Wilson

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The ones that hurt my head are when the headline is a distinctly different question than the first post, and you are left wondering which to answer.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer a free form that allows threads and posts to be tagged with attributes.

When the original post is being processed (while typing), the algorithm first assigns "tags" based on content, then displays recent posts that have the same "tags", and if the match is over some threshold, the post is appended to a thread rather than creating a new thread.

A "thread" simply becomes a chronological ordering of posts with like "tags".

tags would let something like "12V battery replacement" span generations, while specific instructions for a gen1 could be hidden from someone only interested in gen3 and pip.

:)

HTMLSpinnr likes this.
  12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    John, that's actually a great idea. I'm not sure if Danny could work that out...