1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it easy to swap driver and passenger seats??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by local_host, Oct 28, 2011.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

My driver seat is noticeably more worn out than my passenger seat. I would like to have them swap places, thus allowing me to have virtually a 'brand new' seat. Has anyone done this on their own? I took a quick peak around the area and it appears to be something I can attempt, but I don't want to get in over my head. Not to mention reinstalling them wrong and having some kind of a safety issue.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You cannot do this safely. The side airbags would be on the wrong sides, and 06-09 has a weight scale in the passenger seat to prevent front airbag deployment if a child is in the passenger seat. So there are major safety issues. Go to a junkyard and find a driver's seat. Search car-part.com for a junkyard near you.

priusrust likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or, have a local auto upholstery shop provide a quote on repairing the driver seat.

4. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    or you could spend $300 on clazzios??

5. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    old post, I know. I see 2006-2009 have an airbag issue, I have a 2004 with the same question. Where are the side airbags located? i have the same problem as the poster of thread. .....feels like a 'hole' sinking in the seat where it meets back. I know the recliner lever would have to be swapped if possible. hhmmmm

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Same location as the 2006-09, look for the airbag label on the side of the seat. Again a junk yard is your best bet.

http://www.car-part.com

priusrust likes this.
  7. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for feedback! Looking at car parts, I see some seats did not have air bag....perhaps this was optional? So...::if:: mine does not have -perhaps a chance to pull this off? My issue with junkyard seats is my fear that I will just swap for one with a worn out- or soon to be worn out...seat. Whereas the passenger seat, I KNOW is not worn. I'll check for that label. Assuming air bad issue is NOT an issue, recliner lever on outside of seats would have to be swapped. Wonder how much a new seat would cast at dealer? more than value of my 2004 I imagine....

8. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is the worn out seat making it more uncomfortable or are you just looking for a cosmetic improvement?

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They're usually astronomical due to the shelf space- that's rent paid on warehousing since the car was new! And shipping something like that isn't easy. Additionally, most automakers don't sell a finished seat, just parts. Even more boxes.

Best bet by far is to get an upholstery shop to restuff the existing seat.

I'm certain you could execute a side-to-side swap, even with the difficulty of side airbags, but I anticipate that this would require more labor and fabrication ($$$) than just going to the upholstery shop and asking them for an ordinary service that they do all day long.

WilDavis likes this.
  10. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uncomfortable....sagging "hole" in seat where it meets back

11. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya....new seat $$$ ...no surprise. Re upholstery shop....will check it out. More than stuffing issue though....cheap spring issue is my guess. Then again 2004 beyond average seat lifespan. Ill ask them if they can surgically swap. As is...any long trip out of question. I have a 2016 too....world of difference. Thanks for input!

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah you just need to find a good shop, spring repair is quite possible. Figure out where people are taking their powerboats and piper cubs, chances are those shops can help you too.

priusrust likes this.
  13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In chair upholstery, the issue with ‘broken springs’ is not that a spring is broken, rather it is that either the mount point of the spring to the chair frame or binding wire that loads the tension on the spring is broken, either of which is easily fixed. Maybe take apart the seat yourself and diagnose the issue?

14. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is just worn springs.....it is simply softer....I sink slightly deeper. I've upholstered chairs before....old springs far superior to the cheap curved horizontal arc springs of today.....modern springs tend to have shorter life span. No idea if any of this is relevant to my prius seat issue
    Hard to let go of my 2004....such a reliable tank (with good ole non blinding LED headlights)

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If trying to take apart and repair is too complicated for you or not your desire, it looks like used seats on eBay are in the $200 to $300 price range. If that’s too expensive, I’m not sure you have other options.

priusrust likes this.
  16. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not too many third gen owners complaining about worn out driver seats; engines grenade way before that... :cry:

priusrust and nancytheprius like this.
  18. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks! problem with a used seat is the looming question: "how used?'. Obviously, swapping one sagging sinkhole for another is not ideal. Looks like 2 options: go to a upholsterer and see if they can perform transplant surgery (swapping passenger for driver).....or, go to a dealer and buy a new one. My guess is a grand. This all depends.....contemplating a tweaking on my 04 to try to get another 100k+ miles out of her. So.....a new traction battery, seat, hybrid inverter pump, clean throttle plate, change fluids.....and I may be good for a spell. Only concern here is NE winter road salt eating underside :( (hate when they excessively dump salt on the road.....1/4" snow, and they lay down 3" salt)

Mendel Leisk likes this.