1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it ethical to invest in polluting industries?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by SteveT, Jan 10, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At least you give me a good laugh when I need one. You forgot to tell me how my involvement with the org helps my business.

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I admit, that it is equally likely you are an unemployed auto factory worker, based on your posts.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree without the involvement of business and industry the environmental movement will never gain any 'real' traction or at least not in a near ffuture timetable. There rally are many business and industry leaders that I know of who are very interested in the environment and making a real difference. Hopefully the proper balance of govt, business, and grass-roots efforts can make some real difference over the next 5-20 years. I agreew with your assessment of the Bush administration on this issue, they are for the most part out-to-lunch. I am personally involved with an organization, republicans for the environment, which I think has the possiblity to make some real changes in this country. I am trying to push the Republican party in this area to think more in the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt than George Bush when it comes to the enviro.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have to give you a ton of credit Eric for figuring out my true identity--you are very sharp! ;)

5. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you buy the stock of these companies you can elect and vote for board members who share your views. By avoiding these companies your views will never be known and you will be doing the opposite of what you want to accomplish.

Just my two cents.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The quantitative answer is that you are morally accountable for the percentage of their stock you own times the amount of unnecessary polution generated by these companies as well as any other ethical lapses they might commit.

i.e. If you are a one percent owner in a company that dumps 100 barrels of toxic waste into a lake, you are only as morally responsible as if you had dumped 1 barrel of toxic waste into the lake yourself.

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

So, how does it feel to have your enviro agenda trashed daily by your favorite political party ?

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Sort of true.

First, not all stock has voting rights.
    Second, the right to express a view is not the same thing as making a substantive difference. How much do you think repubs for the Enviro have affected Repub public policy ?
    Lastly, keeping your money away can have much more effect than having it hopelessly diluted in a larger uninterested pool.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

More honest and accurate words were never written. Especially the christians who demand tolerance, but refuse to grant the same curtesy to others, and who employ talking heads to spread their works of exclusion and hate.

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As i stated earlier, Geo Bush has been a disaster when it comes to enviro politics. What else can i say?