1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it fair to say GM will eat a lot of money on battery warranty work?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Skoorbmax, Nov 9, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Clearly the actions of a company with a screw-the-buyer mentality. In this case, presumably they were within their legal rights: Since their intention from the start (IMO) was to fight the CARB rules and then destroy the cars, they (I suppose) wrote the lease agreements so as to deny the lessees the right to buy the cars, and the lessor has the right to charge the lessee for damage.

But when their intention in taking the cars back is to crush them, charging the lessees for the damage really shows what SOBs the people at GM are. Their attitude is to squeeze every dime out of the customer that they possibly can.

And with that sort of an attitude, one expects they'll try to squirrel out of any warranty obligation (as they've done elsewhere) and charge lessees for anything they possibly can. So if they can charge for "excessive" battery wear, they will.

They don't need to be competitive. They'll just beg another bailout. The executives who make the decisions at GM don't care whether their salaries, bonuses, and golden parachutes come from profits on sales, or from taxpayer bail-outs.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, if I understand the battery situation right ...

One day in the not too distant future, Volt owners and leasees may
    awaken, stumble groggily into the kitchen and say,

"Is that my favorite, apple wood smoked bacon, I smell cooking?"
    [​IMG]

The forbearing spouse waving to the departing firemen replies,

"No, that's flame blackened pig in a poke, GM style."

And that's when the fight starts.

3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW, I just heard on CNN that the NHTSA has opened an investigation on the Volts' fire potential. Currently there are no recalls.

DBCassidy

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Today's news states that GM will buy back Volts from owners fearful of a fire.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I heard that on the radio driving home tonight and thought "I was wrong, they won't have warranty claims on the batteries, they will all be returned by disgruntled customers before the batteries age"

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That seems highly unlikely that the Chevy Volt has the highest owner satisfaction survey performed by Consumer Reports.

Chevy Volt tops Consumer Reports latest Owner Satisfaction Survey

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius had 93% also. I remember it being tied with the Corvette in the past. It doesn't have to be high volume car to score that high. I believe Prius was the exception.

BTW, the survey was taken prior to the battery fire and most of the owners only had the Volt for a few months.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People are usually very happy with a new car if nothing has gone wrong with it yet. It's a "new toy" and still exciting. A better test is to ask the question a year later. Also, the people willing to pay the price of the Volt are pretty much exclusively seriously dedicated to the concept. (Same thing with the Tesla. Same with people who were willing to accept the shortcomings of the Zap Xebra. Same with people who were willing to trust the relatively new technology of the Prius in its early years.) These people are going to give very high initial satisfaction rates.

The Volt is unique. It's the only REEV you can buy, for now. High initial satisfaction rates are to be expected.

I doubt that anybody is going to turn their Volt in because of these fires, or the charger cord issues. But as more things go wrong, satisfaction ratings will decline. And at the present price, I doubt it will ever get much market share.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet Tesla can fix all the issues with the Volt and retrofit with a new battery IMO. "Powered by Tesla" would inspire confidence for people to consider this car again.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't believe Tesla is interested in hybrids.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Shhh!! It's not a hybrid, it's an EV! Until there was the first garage fire, then the media called it a hybrid. But it is an EV. ;)

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. I don't think Tesla is interested in EVs with gasoline engines. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I suspect a few might...

In some households, I could see the primary driver/proponent not having any fear/problem but let's just say that some other member of the household might. Some folks just don't listen to reason or logic about topics they don't understand...

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That depends on what part of the article you focus on. Me? I perked up when I read THIS part:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203833104577072823183908422.html
    Who'da thunk . . . . that GM would be admitting they are considering it an error to not have built the Volt more like the Leaf. It kinda reminds me of GM having to admit that they blew it - letting the Prius stomp their guts out in the world of reasonably priced mpg champions.

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, who is going to buy a new Volt if GM is offering buybacks? Really!

Is it safe to say that these headlines will cause sales to go flat, stop the assembly production line even before they would have had a chance to recall/fix the problem.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only if they didn't put a lot of engineering resources preventing the gas engine from starting. Emission is another area with lack of engineering.

Bragging right engineering may work for the hype but it comes back to bite.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OTOH, the buyback offer could be seen as an unconditional money-back guarantee: Buy a Volt, and if you don't like it we'll buy it back.

And if people don't sell their Volts back to GM now, GM could turn around and say: "See! We offered to buy them back but owners like and trust the car so much they preferred to keep them."

In the end, I don't think it will be the battery fires or the melting cords that kill the Volt. I think it will be dismal sales due to the extravagant price tag and the very narrow market niche. And I suspect that that's intentional.

Tesla built the Roadster specifically as a niche car. They planned to build 2,500 of them and then switch to the larger-market, but still modest-volume luxury EV, the Model S. But GM always touted the Volt as a mainstream car. Then they priced it out of the mainstream.

2 people like this.
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd take the Volt over another VW any day.

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sort of like how someone would take pink eye over the bubonic plague. :D

2 people like this.
  20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i venture to say that the "buyback" will be special cases only and will soon expire as soon as this "fix" is installed. the fact that GM has no idea what the fix is means

1) they are lying, already know what the problem AND fix is

2) there is no issue

3) know what it is but is hoping the NTSB wont find it and can blame it on "other" outside causes but will offer a "fix" playing it off as being the "concerned" vendor