1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it fine to drive PHEV at 0% charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by LindaOwnsAPrius, Aug 7, 2023.

1. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    But doesn't that leave your $875 EVSE/CCID exposed to vandals? Both connectors might be locked but the guts are right out there, no?

LindaOwnsAPrius likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'd think anyone willing to mess with the cord is likely going to mess with the car itself.

In Europe, at least the UK, the public AC EVSE/chargers don't have a cord. The car supplies the cord.

3. LindaOwnsAPrius

LindaOwnsAPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    interesting workaround… okay… I have seen 120V outlets in some parking garages nearby the EV chargers, don’t notice whether they’re also out in the national park Chargepoint area, but I’ll definitely check it out this weekend.
    Let me make sure I understand: I’d use the L1 “home charger” that comes with the car, plug it into the 120V outlet at a Chargepoint station, (provided it has one), & literally go take a hike while my car charges. :D, yes?
    I’m pretty sure that the charger always is locked in place while charging the car… right?… so once I lock my car & leave, I don’t need to be concerned that some knucklehead could steal my charger from the otherwise exposed 120V outlet.

tovli likes this.
  4. LindaOwnsAPrius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    this was my 1st thought as well. I didn’t see your reply before I just posted a similar concern…

tovli likes this.
  5. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The default setting is locked when inserted and the remote unlock must be pressed to remove the J1772 connector from the car.

There are two other settings - 2) lock when inserted - unlock when complete, and 3) no lock.

Trollbait and LindaOwnsAPrius like this.
  6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes you can, I do it nearly every day. I got a $110 aftermarket charge device, but it’s a heavy unit, too darn heavy and bulky. There are others for about $100-125. So I still use the $845 plus tax oe unit so far. The car locks the handle,and on chargepoint stations with the metal door, the plug is locked. Yes they could cut off the ends of a live wire, or wait till charging stops, but that gets unlikely. They could unplug an exposed plug though, and break the handle out of the car socket by force I think. May be more likely.
    I only have a 2020, you have a lot more battery so it will take longer. On the other hand, I find myself keeping the charge in the middle area most of the time so don’t even want to full charge, most of the time. 1.5 hours walking the dog equates to about 30% charge for me. So if I go from 40% to 70% it’s what I prefer. I use only about 20-25 % every day.

#26 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    LindaOwnsAPrius and tovli like this.
  7. LindaOwnsAPrius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I’m going to avoid the odds & use only the public L2 charging stations rather than risk damage to my car, the cord.. not worth taking the chance.
    I’ve also begun to add 30-40% level of charge, fitting it into my weekly driving schedule & I just found a small local charging station near my work with free L2 charging/free parking .. so, it’s a win/win overall.

Roqu3, tovli and bisco like this.