1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by queenerica, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Peace to All

Peace to All Guest

I am still trying to bet my best on mpg, since I drive the same route to work, it gives me something to challenge myself on.

Does any one know if changing back and forth from neutral, to drive , to brake / battery make any difference in mpg? While in neutral, the EV doesn't turn on. Does it damage the variable transmission?

Thanks- Habanero2

2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The owners manual explicitly states that you're best leaving the transmission in "D". Putting it in "B" mode during braking will preclude the ICE from turning off below 45 mph, and neutral will negate the ability to regenerate.

This may sound easier said than done, but accelerate to exactly your designated speed right on the edge of eco and power in the eco-score meter, then cruise smoothly to maintain that exact speed. Stabbing the pedals will only hurt your economy. When it comes time to brake, brake gently to maximize regeneration. You'll find that most other car brake late and hard, usually when they didn't have to if they were looking further ahead than their cellphone.