1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is it me or Price of prius' have come down a bit? looking ....

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by tf4624, Jun 5, 2016.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is it me or Price of prius' have come down a bit? looking ....

I'm talking about 2011-2014 models. with less than 40k on them Im seeing them pretty cheap 12-16k or so.
    of is it the value of prius isn't holding?

so anyway answer comment/question please if you agree or see it happening?

So anyway, car got whacked by someone, front end smash to bits. Structural i imagine. Rather have it totaled and get another one. Wont know till this week if its totaled. i haven't any luck on Craigslist for ATL for prius' with low miles and fully loaded or near it with Tech package or plug in. These are hard to find?

ETP likes this.
  2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When gas prices go down, I'm speaking of USA here, pickup trucks and SUVs get more popular and Prius get less popular. Soft demand drives prices down. In the general USA auto market, Prius is still thought of as a compromise car that gets great mileage, but you have to compromise power/performance for that fuel economy. Most USA are not willing to do that, unless the economy forces them to, i.e., cost of gas.

Another thing that drives used car prices is the new generation, Gen 4 in this case. But I think the gas prices are the driver here because I do not think the Gen 4 has taken off with the buying public in the way Toyota hoped. Though, honestly, I'm not really paying attention to the Gen 4 yet.

ETP likes this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep....demand and gas prices have a lot to do with it.

Keep in mind that the MSRP doesn't change...just the willingness of a dealership to dibble over price out-the-door to move his inventory.

ETP likes this.
  4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Think it was up to 1500 in dealer cash. Yes all mine were cheaper than the 2011 and 2012 when new.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Last fall the 2016's were less expensive vs what my 2011 cost me new in 2011 -- exact same car over 2k less expensive .. same 5 year 0% interest.

It's all about gas prices .... People are buying bigger vehicles .. and bigger translates to trucks and suv/crossovers.

I ended up getting a Lexus CT -- but I'm going to be buying another Prius later in the year. The 2011 will have over 150k by the time it hits 5 years -- I'm going to use it as an extra car (replacing an old MB) and get another Prius.

If you keep your cars a long time and drive a lot -- don't discount the new ones if they are still offering the 5 year financing. Great deals around.

6. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a couple things going on... Low gas prices, and lots of 2012 and 2013's coming off lease and increasing the supply of prii w/ under 40K miles.

... and then there is that $1500 incentive on new. That's making some shoppers (like me) consider buying new instead of certified pre-owned.

7. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only ever bought used. Because of price and low miles. I'm having issues finding loses Prius. Can't find tech package either.

#7 tf4624, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Five-AT or Four-Solar were always rather tough to find as a majority of the cars Toyota built were Twos and Threes. We also didn't get many PiP in NJ. Look through truecar.com and cars.com shows 210 Fives across the country.

Happy hunting.

9. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Truecar I found nothing special with them. No major discounts.

#9 tf4624, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Truecar will give you the invoice -- it's a good starting point. When I was buying my 1st Prius back in 2011 -- the local dealer laughed at the Truecar pricing. Until the other dealer in the area almost matched it.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tax money is running out, and the US economy isn't really strong right now - despite the fact that they're giving new car loans to everybody who walks into dealerships these days.
    Also the G4's have been out long enough for all of the early adopters to get theirs.
    Gas is low.

Probably from now until about August will be a good time to start looking around if you're in the market.
    Take your time, and cast a wiiiiiiiide net.

You'll find what you're looking for.

12. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hep? I know about supply and demand. Wow my loaded 2008 Prius touring was worth $20k 2 years ago with 34 k. Now it's magically worth $10k ish? 66k ? That's not the reason why I bought this car. Value and depreciations seems worse then than buying a junk Kia or Hyundai? Trade in value is completely absurd. Dealer wants to give 6 k to 6.5k. I've got the lowest around me in miles and only touring. Prius' around me with 120k + going for about 7 k

Finding what I want. Not really an issue. It's getting the value of my car.

13. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are several reputable online auto pricing guides. Take a look at Edmunds.com or KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) to see what your car is worth in trade, as a private sale or if you're planning to buy it.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seeing that i can buy a 2016 for the same amount i paid for my 2008? i'd say prices are depressed. partly gas prices, partly competition, partly the economy. all the best with your sale, i know your purchase will go well.;)

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two years ago XOM was $101.66. It was $89.98 Friday. COP is down almost half. BP is down 40%. When Katrina hit, gas spiked, and dealers wouldn't take SUVs in trade.

The insurance company paid to rebuild the car that you were hoping was totaled. Nobody is going to pay top dollar for a Prius with a collision that severe on the record. Perhaps you can file a claim against the other driver or sue for diminished value. You still have an 8 year old car with 66000 miles on it that is driveable.

16. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no one said Top dollar (me) its not a rebuild by the way.. clean title

i think its time to close this thread, no looking for negative comments, yes i know the obvious such as what you said about it..

17. EngMarc

EngMarc Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just an FYI, I have a 2013 Prius model 5 very nice but with 80,000 miles. The dealer sent me a note about moving to a 2016 Prius and said my car was worth ----> $10,000 <----- I kind of looked at the guy in disbelief since I paid $42,000 granted I put on about $5,000 worth of add-ons.

I'm not sure with cheap gas and many other high mileage options on the market that the Prius is that competitive and demanding a high resale value. The salvage prices out there are very low. I'll be interested to see how the 2016 models sell as compared to the prior years.