1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it normal to always have to use the parking brake?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2008PriusGirl, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, how far did it roll? Hal

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On usage:

When I learned to drive (stick, in the UK) I was always taught to use the hand brake when stopping for any length of time. The Prius DVD also says to use the parking brake.

I wasn't using it, but I've now taken to using it. It's easier on my right foot, better for the transmission and safer. The only downside is the noise when you apply it.

I've also started using the hand brake in our Civic.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    • When you park alongside a curb on a level street, the front and back wheels must be parallel and within 18 inches of the curb. Park parallel to the street if there is no curb.
    • Never leave your vehicle until you have stopped the engine and set the parking brake.
    • Do not open the driver’s side door unless it is safe and you do not interfere with traffic. Look carefully for passing vehicles, bicyclists, and motorcyclists. Do not leave the door open any longer than necessary.
    Not to be pedantic, but the section above is from the California Driver's Manual. Whenever you leave the car you should set the parking brake.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2008PriusGirl

2008PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I tried it on a hill. I pressed the park button and took my foot off of the brake. It rolled, pretty quickly, for several inches. Then it stopped and rocked pretty heavily -- it was jerky -- before coming to a complete stop. It absolutely rolled more than a few inches, but less than a foot. I tried it with my door open and it made a lot of squeaky noises while it rocked.

As it is, I wouldn't want to parallel park it without the parking brake -- I'd worry it'd hit the car in front of or behind me. While I am glad it didn't roll farther than it did, I question if this could be normal. I have never had the experience in another car (passenger or driver), and it just seems like too much movement. This leaves me with the concern about a friend driving it and parking, or a valet parking it. I don't want my car sliding into another car! At least I know it won't roll completely away though.

Anyone else have quite a bit of movement, but you consider it normal?

Thanks so much for all of the responses!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe get the dealership to try that exercise. Compare with another Prius on the lot?

It doesn't take a steep hill to test, and would be less disconcerting: even a slight incline, virtually flat, it will move a bit without park brake applied. I find our's moves maybe 1 inch, two tops, in that situation.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is very normal. If you are on any slope the e-brake I believe should be applied. But if you get careless the car will save your butt! Hal

1 person likes this.
  7. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That sounds pretty normal to me. Don't worry about it--just use the parking brake. I never park without it! :D

1 person likes this.
  8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normal - nothing to worry about.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, normal. As a matter of fact, as the drivetrain in any car builds up play, it'll roll more. Just use parking brake along with park and you'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly the parking pawl is working, but if it rolled "pretty quickly" then the parking brake might need adjusting.

11. 2008PriusGirl

2008PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am confused by this response. My parking brake was not engaged.

12. 2008PriusGirl

2008PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps if they would do this for free. Maybe when I take it in someday for something else, I can ask them to do this. In the meantime, I guess I am stuck with using the parking brake, and telling others to use it, too, when they drive my car.

Thanks!

13. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you tried the test. Your results sound pretty normal to me. I agree with most of the posts that it's a good idea to use the parking brake when you shut down.

1 person likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like it is working properly to me. i have the exact same car, but i don't notice it being much different from the last 40 cars i've had previously. first of all, if it 's a fairly steep hill,(and i know that is a relative term), i use the parking brake as described previously. (apply foot brake, put in neutral, apply parking brake, release foot brake slowly to make sure parking brake is holding, press park and power off. upon starting, apply foot brake, release parking brake, shift to drive, release foot brake.) this proceedure keeps car from rolling and keeps pressure off of the parking pawl.

when parking on the flat and mild slopes, i don't use the parking brake. i release the foot brake slowly until the car stops rolling, again so the weight of the car doesn't slam against the pawl. i also ask pasengers not to get out until the car has stopped rolling.:)

1 person likes this.
  15. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2008 Prius that I bought used. (I know little about cars and I can't even tell you what model it is or what options package I have.) My question is about the parking brake. I always have to use it or else the car rolls -- similar to a manual transmission. Is this normal and does it have to do with the hybrid nature of the car? I wouldn't have a problem with always having to use the parking brake but it could be a safety issue when someone borrows my car or a valet parks it. I'll go get it fixed if it needs to be fixed -- I just don't know!

Thanks in advance for any responses![/QUOTE]

:welcome:, read your other responses and see that you have normal activity with your transmission, as noted the Prii when parked on any incline need the parking brake to be engaged to avoid "creep", not a big deal, but better safe then sorry.
    To adjust the parking brake is to shorten the cable between the handle in the car and the rear brake drums, any Toyota dealer can make a successful repair if you feel the emergency brake isn't locking the car into a stopped position.

1 person likes this.
  16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think Richard misread your post.

Tom

2 people like this.
  17. 2008PriusGirl

2008PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, when I am stopped on a hill and I have the car in drive, it will roll if I do not keep my foot on the brake until I switch to gas. It reminds me of when I use to drive a stick shift.

18. 2008PriusGirl

2008PriusGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:, read your other responses and see that you have normal activity with your transmission, as noted the Prii when parked on any incline need the parking brake to be engaged to avoid "creep", not a big deal, but better safe then sorry.
    To adjust the parking brake is to shorten the cable between the handle in the car and the rear brake drums, any Toyota dealer can make a successful repair if you feel the emergency brake isn't locking the car into a stopped position.[/QUOTE]

The parking brake does do the trick.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you just need a quick foot!;)

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Earlier Prii don't have the hill hold feature?