1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to disable the TPMS tire pressure management system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by beeblebrox, Aug 15, 2012.

1. beeblebrox

beeblebrox 2006 Prius 135K miles

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 133k miles.

The other day, I had my Michelin Hydroedge tires (87k) replaced with Michelin Defenders.

The tech brought out one of the rims before removing the old tire and told me that he thought that the tire pressure gauge was broken. He shook it and I could hear it rattling inside.

My TPMS light came on about a week before I got the new tires installed. I didn't pay much attention to it since they were being replaced in a week.

After the installation, he could not get the system to reset. Now the TPMS light is on all of the time.

I never really used the system anyways as I check my tire pressure regularly.

I was wondering if there is a way to disable the system. Is there a fuse that I could pull.

I realize that I could just put a piece of electrical tape over the light, but I thought that I would ask for ideas first.

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why not fix it? I think it's a good thing to have. You probably just need to replace a sensor.

3. dbarcan

dbarcan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you decide to replace it, don't forget each sensor has its own ID which has to be programed into the system.