1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to plug charge reg battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kronos316, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    css,

Can there really be that much Wh sent to the Prius battery in one minute ?
    Can any battery take much of a charge in one minute ?
    What that display is showing in that first minute is,, something.
    I don't how to explain it, but it is not a significant amount of Wh.

Plus, you should power up, select D, get out of your drive
    and leave that little f*** of pollution (as the ICE cold starts) in someone else's front yard..
    "Not in your front yard" Sorry,,, excuse me,,,,

Krono,

Yes ! It is bicycle season. No excuses !!

If you want THE technology "Leap-frog", as me css and Lutz's do, there is a car with everything you could want !

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Four points.
    1) The engine will pollute less if you're not loading it up more (as others are suggesting) during stage 1a.
    2) By powering up and getting going during stage 1a you're effectively just pulling charge out of the battery that will have to be made up (with interest) later.
    3) It's not that you're sending so much to the battery during stage 1a, it's that you're draining much more than you're adding and you'll have to make it up later.
    4) When I get going in stage 1b, my engine is actually propelling the car.

Where's the virtue in leaving that little f*** (?) of pollution with your neighbors anyhow?

3. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1) I like turning gas into motion. Only.
    2) I guess it is a nasty thing to f*** in front of your neighbors' houses. No virtue there,,,:( "NIMBY" :whistle:
    3) Time is money. Power ON, Ready light, select D and it's up the driveway for a Quick Getaway. < 10 sec. !!!

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you're just looking for the endorphin rush from EV propulsion.

You *know* what the cure is for that :) .

Bill Norton likes this.
  5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I can deplete the HV on my way home the last 1-1.5 miles are residential streets with stop signs and almost zero traffic ... I use P&L on those blocks 90% of the time (noone behind me) to almost stopping that the stop signs. I can use EV P&L just as easily... I try to keep my HV battery at least 1/3 charge for next morning :)

Now in my case I could deplete it as far as the car let's me and then could charge... but agree unless "factory mod" this is not worth it ... (plus you better have a garage so you can do this over the year etc)

6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that would be completely wasteful !!!

you only get real gas saving from recovered energy from regen braeking at light/stop signs or going dowhill ... all other charge comes from gasoline minus the CONVERSION loss ..

the only time you should to "force" charging is before goind to car wash !!!

7. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    breaking a few times even during stage 1.a

unless you go down under the two bar the car will NOT FORCE you to do it so you can actully reclaim it with regen THAT IS the stage when you actually saving .. that is why fully charging would be a bad thing ... downhill breaking etc has nowhere to go but up in smoke :)
    [/QUOTE]

and it is hard to tell which way you pollute more ... I think as many other things toyota engineered into the car the pollution control in an optimum way even for the start.

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    During stage 1a, unless you forcefully accelerate, the engine contributes nothing to the propulsion of the car. It's pretending it's an electric vehicle during that time.
    Stage 1a is optimized for warming the car up as quickly as possible using an exhaust to coolant heat exchanger and by seriously retarding the timing.

I've done day to day comparisons. I'm not wasting fuel.

Look at the Fuelly in my signature.

9. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget to stay ECO :) recharge.JPG

10. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    About the original question. I do this all the time. I have an old Enginer PHEV system on the floor in my garage. The Enginer system has lost capacity and will not do 5 miles as a PHEV. But it does put 1/4 kwhr into the HV battery. That takes the Prius HV battery from 45% up to 70%.

I also easily pull the HV battery down to 45% in the last mile driving home on residential roads. Going out with a full charge, then that first mile runs the ICE for warm up and then turns off. I then run mostly EV for the following mile, getting the average mpg up above 99.9mpg. I can generally get about 4 miles total before the HV Battery SOC drops to the point of not doing a lot of EV and the average mpg drops below 99.9mpg. At 30 miles I still see 75mpg if I am careful.

This is not Cheap. It will cost you $1000-$3000 for a used charger. It is not simple, you need to know what you are doing. You need the car in ready during charging and you need to set in the car to watch what it is doing and to turn it off.

Thanks,
    Dan

bisco likes this.
  11. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow !! You really work for that ~4 miles of EV.

First >> You have to drive very slow and careful to just to stay in EV and ...

Then >> You have to plug into,, gadknowswhat,, and sit in the car and watch the HV battery get charged ,, or something bad happens....??? !!!??

Isn't your time worth anything to you?

Is it really worth it just to get, maybe, 4 miles of slow driving in EV mode?

xpcman likes this.
  12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK this qualifies to the answer YES but with a LOTS of caveat ... and this is basically the only case when running EV makes sense both arriving home and leaving with charge from the wall. It makes no sense unless the charger and modifications already in place, as you do have them....

I guess for you this is the only way to increase ROI on the original PHV conversion.

So can you tell us how long it takes to shovel the 4 miles worth of electrons into the HV battery ???

13. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And how can you ever get 4 miles from a Gen3 in EV?
    I'm lucky to get 1.2 miles on a VERY straight an level road next to the airport where I work.
    This is with a battery indicating 1 bar less than topped, I think. I have never seen it totally topped, I'm a prairie dweller...

14. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Bill,
    I said "Mostly EV". I accelerate normally to 41mph and then let off to kill the ICE and then run with the ICE at 0rpm on the scangauge. I guess this is somewhat like pulse and glide. I also watch the changes in grade and use the ICE going up hills and run 0rpm on the declines. In running this way, I generally stay up with traffic but get much better mpg. The 4 miles in not all with the ICE off. The 4 miles is a mix resulting in MPG above 99.9mpg.

In general, yes, all aftermarket PHEV systems require the user to be willing to invest his time for the enjoyment of the hobby. None will give ROI in terms of money. I do what I do for the fun of it.

By the way, you go to 7 bars out of 8 at 65%. When I charge. I go to between 70% and 75%, you can only use EV down to 50%, 45% if you are careful and know what you are doing. So you have 15-20% for EV and I have 25-35% for my "Mostly EV".

Thanks,
    Dan

15. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he includes the HV miles when he does "coasting" with EV.

16. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Understood ... :)

So how long you need to monitor the charge process from 45% to 75% ?? Just curious .. I have no intention to do this...

I was considering the PIP but I can only charge at home ... but the place I park has plans to provide charging in a year or two (they said).... so next time Prius PIP or another electric car will be considered (10 years I hope)

17. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dan,

Why don't you just buy some new cells for that Enginer system battery pack and use it as intended?

Think how much more free time you'd have by not sitting there watching batteries charge!!

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't need to sit and watch for the battery to charge. Depends on what enginer converter, newest one will charge until the engine kicks on, then you know the HV battery is fully charged (80%). Older converter will charge to to 7 bars and stops charging. Either way, you don't have to sit and watch. Just wait 10 minutes and it'll be charged.

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's not the way Dan describes it.
    And how can you add any Kwh in 10 minutes?
    cpro, do you have an Enginer kit?

20. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I used to own one. I know how long it takes to charge it from 2 bars to 8 bars. At full load, the Enginer convert puts out 18amps and gradually lowers the charge amps down to 1 amp as the battery charges. In 10 minutes at 18amps 220volts, you can charge about .6kwh into the HV battery. The car has to be in READY mode to charge.