Is it possible to replace Prius head unit while maintaining all features?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TinyTim, Jul 12, 2018.

1. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking into a head unit replacement while maintaining voice command, bluetooth audio and backup cam for my Gen 4 Prius. Has anybody done this? I want both Android Auto and Apple Car Play. From my research most of these units have backup cam connections. Some have Garmin Nav built in or other nav in addition to Android Auto.

Final question. Has anybody upgraded their head unit while maintaining all the features that the Prius uses through Entune app?

Here is a list of head units. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462450/Android-Auto-Compatible-Car-Stereos.html?tp=72381&o=v

2. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you're familiar with Crutchfield, you'll see that the answer is 'yes'.

3. markg1975

markg1975 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What ones do people use and recommend?

4. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have the JVC KW-830BT. It was a turd until I realized you can upgrade the firmware. Now I'm pretty happy with it.

5. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't want to sound like I am insulting forum members. But I need an expert opinion. There are real car stereo integration experts. This is a serious question for Prius owners with a One or Prius Two of the Gen 4 models. Basically the Entune system is a joke to begin with. No Android Auto and no Apple car play for pretty much all 4th Gen Prius models. I know they were going to integrate Apple Car Play into the newest Prius model but I am uncertain if it has arrived. My other question or concern is wireless Android Auto without needing to be plugged in. Also built in GPS Nav as a backup to google maps is significant considering it only costs an extra $100-$200 in a worst case scenario.

Android has a 76% market share and apple is low 20% market share for smart phones, yet no android auto support? From my research only the very latest google phones support Android Auto wireless connection. But the wireless capability is still not utilized as of yet from my research.

I am not sure that I like the idea of plugging my phone into a USB cable every time I get in the car. The other concern is how a aftermarket double din system would fit in my Prius. I know they have fitting kits but it has to look like original factory installed equipment.

This is just an example of what I found with built in Navigation.
    Kenwood 6.8" - Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - Built-in Navigation - Bluetooth - In-Dash CD/DVD Receiver Black DNX574S - Best Buy