1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to retrofit Gen III Prius with back up cameras or other accident avoidance gear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kgall, May 14, 2014.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I backed up and sideswiped a tree. It was really stupid and my fault, but at the moment of impact, the tree was in a blind spot. It's been fixed, but the cost to the insurance company (well over $3K since damaged a bunch of panels) will probably increase my insurance costs.

Now, my wife, who has always hated the bad rear view of the Prius even more than I do, thinks I should get rid of it. I'm not ready to.

But, if I could get back up cameras and/or other accident avoidance systems retrofitted to the thing at reasonable cost, I would consider that.

Has anyone done this? Anyone know if there is good stuff on the market to do it?

My car is one of the earlier 2010 Prius II's--the basic model of the first year, if that matters.

Thanks.

2. c4

c4 Active Member

When I got my 2001 Classic, I came from a 1990 Corolla, which had easy visibility all around: I knew exactly where the hood and trunk ended, I could see relatively easily in all directions, to a new vehicle which had a much higher trunk/smaller rear windshield and a sloped hood, and initially, I simply could not tell how far I was from anything at the front, and I couldn't see anything at all out the back, and all the big headrests, etc impaired visibility all around..

I eventually got used to the car enough that I knew where the front ended even though I couldn't see the hood, and by moving the passenger seat forward and removing the rear headrests, I improved some of the visibility, but this still did not address the issue of the high trunk lid and small rear window resulting in poor backwards visibility.. I ended up installing an ultrasonic backup sensor (stick on the centre of rear license plate frame, run the wire up into trunk lid through license plate illumination lamps, connect power to reverse light, run wire into cabin to the beeper module, which I painted gray to match the interior upholstery and stuck to the headliner just in front of the high-mount tail light). This was quite effective for anything directly behind me but didn't do anything for the corners, which I had to rely on the side mirrors for (they do sell kits with multiple sensors now, but these all require drilling holes in the bumper, which I didn't want to do), but it did save me from a few bumps..

I also did get a rearview camera module, and even sourced a module from Japan that allowed you to display the image on the Prius MFD, but the camera required drilling a hole through the trunk to install.. I did try it out by mounting it on a temporary bracket just inside the rear window, but I found that it didn't give me much more information vs. the ultrasonic beeper, so I ended up just pulling it out (I did use the MFD module to direct composite video from a aftermarket Pioneer in-car DVD GPS nav to the MFD display though)

Nowadays, there are wireless license-plate frame cameras that don't require much to install, but again, I question their real utility..

kgall likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any car audio shop can do these mods for you, so shop around. Unless you change out the HU (Radio), the display for the back-up camera is usually on a replacement rear view mirror or other remotely mounted screen. Back-up sensors with an audio only warning can also be added easily. I added a camera as part of a complete audio upgrade to my 2010 Prius II.

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat

kgall likes this.
  4. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your accident!!:(

Have you done your upgrade?(y)

5. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed an aftermarket camera and a mirror which has a display from the camera feed when the car is in reverse. I had a lot of small children in the neighborhood at the time (they've grown now) but, it's handy for backing into my parking spot at work without hitting anything.

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Parking Sensors | Reversing Sensors

My 13 f-150 has proximity sensors while backing up (as well as a camera) and they make it difficult to get within 4' of anything, the link offers options, camera's are great, but then you're watching a camera instead of your mirrors, true, the camera is great for the last few inches but not so great at five or ten feet.

7. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed the backup camera which integrates nicely with the 6" screen on the stereo. It makes a nice supplement to the mirrors. I find that I'm able to back up safely with a scan of the side mirrors and the camera.

If you're wife wants to get rid of the car then rearward visibility may be just an excuse. Try asking what she wants instead. If she's quick to answer then my guess is that no amount of modding is likely to satisfy her.

8. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I take her at her word--she has what she wants, a 2012 Audi A-3 TDI, red. But when we are in the Prius, she really hates driving because of the visibility.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet.

10. Wandering Elf

Wandering Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a 2009-2011 base Prius with a 2102+ base touchscreen (which includes reversing camera view, but not navigation)? Here in Australia we only get 2 levels of Prius: base and "itech", although I have seen a 2009 Gen3 with navigation/reverse camera and parking assist (I think), but not dynamic radar cruise control, headlight washers, moonroof, or solar panel, and no itech badge on the rear hatch. I guess its a base+navigation pack - its the only one I can find online, so seems very rare.

11. Wandering Elf

Wandering Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, I meant 2012+ touchscreen. The 2102 Prius will be pretty Awesome ;)

12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Installing a wireless back up warning proximity radar alert system today.

$21 at Amazon.