1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to use cellular remote start to keep the car charged and food frozen?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by chuckers, May 11, 2022.

1. chuckers

chuckers New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2013 Prius v I will be living out of and want to add cellular capable remote start. What would be the cheapest option that will allow me to start the car from anywhere? Would being able to monitor the battery or gas require a completely different module?
    I'd prefer not to pay a bunch for a Jackery Power Station if I don't have to, especially since it probably wouldn't last very long if I were unable to get back to my car for a few days.
    Thanks for the help!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of it, but i like the idea

3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    To start the car, yes.
    But, I don't know about the type of remote monitoring.

Cheap? Define cheap.
    Compustar lists the 2013 Prius V.
    That remote should be able to connect to their LTE option.
    You should get it installed by an authorized dealer. Otherwise, you may end up with $500+ of worthless junk.

Send them an email, give them a call.
    Their remotes aren't low-end, low-profit junk.
    So, they should reply.

If the Compustar remote does work for you, please let the forum know.

It will definitely benefit others.

Toyota Remote Start System | Compustar
    ==============
    Toyota Remote Start System
    Remote Start & Security for Toyota 1998+
    Model: FT-CMX-HC, FT-DC3-HC
    Adds remote start, security and keyless entry features to select Toyota models from 1998+. Featuring "factory fit" installation for select Toyota models.
    Works with most model years of Toyota 4Runner, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Land Cruiser, Prius, RAV4, Tacoma, and many more!
    ==============

PRO 2WG15 with LTE | Compustar
    =======
    PRO 2WG15 with LTE
    Pro 2-Way RFX Bundle w/ LTE Module
    Model: RFX-P2WG15-SS
    OEM-look and feel, supercharged with extreme range in a water-resistant case.
    2-way, 4-button remote upgrade kit for adding 2-miles of range and LTE connectivity to any Compustar remote starter. Includes a 2-way, water-resistant remote capable of up to 2-miles of range. Backed by industry-leading 3-year PRO warranty.
    Now bundled with an X1-LTE module for smartphone connectivity with DroneMobile! Free 30-day trial upon activation.
    =======

Good Luck!

chuckers likes this.
  4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Btw, at least one other person on the forum uses a Compustar remote.
    However, it's for a Gen4 Prime, and to allow for front defrost operation in the winter.
    The Gen4 factory remote start AC/heat option, doesn't have a front/rear defrost option.

chuckers likes this.
  5. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    chuckers likes this.
  6. chuckers

chuckers New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I was hoping for $350 for parts and install, but it would probably pay for itself it by making sure my food doesn't ruin.

I was thinking of using a tablet as my GPS driving system. I wonder if I got it hooked up to a bluetooth OBDII, could i remotely look at the gas and battery charge information and have that kick the remote start on.

Failing all of that rather complicated stuff, maybe there is a kit that would auto start the car if the 12 volt battery gets below a certain level? That seems like it should be rather easy to do, maybe...?
    Thanks for helping me out!

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Best not to start two threads on the same subject. Leaving it in Ready auto starts the engine to keep your 12v charged up. There is no better way.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a maintainer on the 12v

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you are doing this for food safety please use a layered defense and include a thermometer inside the fridge/freezer.

You can get mini ones that fit in even the tiniest fridges and run on coin cells and alert you if the temp has gone into spoil range. It's maybe $18 for a two-pack these days, very cheap insurance.

I can't tell you about the Compustar system itself but would point out that many advanced alarm/remote systems require that you anchor one factory key within the vehicle while you are carrying the other plus a fob related to the new security system. That is no big deal for some people and a dealbreaker for others, ask them for details if it matters to you.

Regarding the cost of the thing- all I can say is that you're not asking for a cheap basic alarm or starter, I would expect the cost to be... outside of bargain territory.