1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is it really a 2015

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by novaz, May 6, 2017.

1. novaz

novaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I recently purchased a 2015 Prius C
    when I look at some you tube videos especially the ones for resetting maintenance message the dash lay out is different to the one I have
    is there any way of confirming the model the original title was opened in July 2015

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the toyota owners site. you can plug in your vin for history. or, it may be right in the vin code.

RCO likes this.
  3. novaz

novaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for fast reply
    I just found another yt video for a 2014 and it has the same dash layout maybe mine was last of that year registered in 2015

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you could be looking at different trim levels. I'm not aware that the actual layouts changed between those years.

RCO likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As @bisco notes, for on-highway vehicles sold within the last few years in the United States, the model year assigned by the manufacturer is encoded in the tenth character of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):

MY 2013: D
    MY 2014: E
    MY 2015: F
    MY 2016: G
    MY 2017: H​

(See 49 C.F.R. §565.15(d)(1) or the Wikipedia article for the full table.)

On Toyota vehicles built for the U.S. market, the production date is usually laser-engraved on the certification label, attached to the frame inside the driver’s door. The date should be shown in MM/YY format, with a two-digit month and two-digit calendar year, in the upper right corner of the label, just after the name of the manufacturer. Keep in mind that some MY 2015 vehicles were made in calendar year 2014, however.

If you think the VIN label (visible from outside through the bottom of the windshield on the driver’s side) or the certification label might be counterfeit or from another vehicle, here are a few ways you could investigate:
    • Check the VIN stamped into the body. According to the Repair Manual, one location for this is inside the car, on the floor near the front of the front passenger seat. To reveal the VIN, you might have to slide the seat towards the rear, remove a plastic cover, or both.
    • Check the emissions compliance label under the hood. This isn’t a high-security decal, and I suppose it could be missing on a vehicle with a repaired or replaced hood, but if present, it should list the same model year as is encoded in the VIN.
    • Buy a subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and use the Vehicle Inquiry feature to find the engine serial number, which is different from the VIN and should be stamped into the cylinder block. This would also provide the model year, date of first use, production date, original exterior and interior colors, and other information from Toyota’s files.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  6. Prius7Prime

Prius7Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Elektroingenieur info is the gold standard (as always), especially his first bullet point.

FWIW, on the certification label in the driver's door is genuine, this is where you'd see the date (MM/YY):

upload_2019-12-16_10-52-18.png