1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IS IT REALLY A LIFETIME OF A THING?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dxta, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, to cap it all, my main concern wasn't to investigate why such transmissions fail, but to really get an understanding of what actually does Toyota mean, when on a WS transmission fluid, you've it tagged, "lifetime" blablabla.

Lots of hybrid owners over here in Lagos, just don't get it. They think the fluid stays in there till the car dies.

So funny, isn't?

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    o! Thanks so very much for the links.
    Hmmm! That leaves me thinking now that, almost all the vehicles used coming into Lagos, Nigeria, have had their lifespan..... Heheheheh.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would venture to believe Toyota believes the lifetime of a Prius is at least 10 years. Why 10 years? That is the longest warranty aspect available on the Prius in the US (the HV Battery and emission components for CARB States; 8 years in non-CARB States). Obviously the Prius has been shown to go longer than 10years, trouble free. Probably too much risk to offer warranties longer than 10yrs.

I would venture to guess Lagos gets Prius from Japan. Those cars will have lots of life left! If you don't know, Japan has the bi-annual vehicle inspeciton and registeration, called "shaa-ken" (spelled phonetically). As a new car gets older, it depreciates in value, while maintenance costs go up over time just because more things need to be done on the car. Like all things in life, costs go up, and so do the vehicle inspection and registration fees. This is why you see so few cars in Japan over 10 years old. People opt to trade in their car for a new car or younger used car, then spend the shaken fee on a depreciating asset. These older cars are then imported out to the rest of the world, except the USA, unfortunately. This is why used JDM engines/transmission are able to command a premium here.

IF Lagos gets used cars from Japan, be very happy. Those cars will have likely been well cared for and will have lots of life left. You would not want imported used cars from the US; too many miles, too many people don't take care of their cars, not much life left in them.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmmm. I think Prius from Japan are right handed drive? That's by the way, though.

Almost all the hybrid Toyota vehicles shipped into Nigeria, are from American. That's why sometimes, we've got to do a lot of repairs, that probably, the original owner in the USA, wasn't willing to do.

I have heard accidental Prii can be gotten for $700.

People keep buying those stuff, without thinking about the potential costs of repairs/maintenance.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, Japan is a right hand drive country.

Do you mean a salvaged Prius? In the US, vehicles with a salvage title are the result of vehicle accidents, storm damage (rain/flood/hail/wind debris damage), fire (partial obviously), where the insurance company chooses NOT to repair the vehicle.

Avoiding salvage vehicles is a smart move.

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, salvage, and all that.
    Over here, they use the salvage or accidental Prius for spare parts.

Nobody does conversions of such right handed hybrid vehicle to right hand, because of the tasks involved. But sure it can be done.

That's why I initially said all hybrid vehicles are shipped from the USA.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Saddly, yes.

Now that you have a better idea/understanding of what "lifetime" means, maybe your customers will understand now.

If they don't, given them my engine oil analogy.
    All lubricants loose their lubricating properties over time.
    ATF-WS is a specialized lubricant for Toyota transmissions/transaxles.
    Engine oil is specialized lubricant for the engine.
    Would they believe Toyota, if Toyota said the engine oil is a lifetime fluid that just needs to be checked and topped off as needed?​

Dxta likes this.