1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it relatively "easy" to make Plug-in versions of ANY Toyota Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by ragnarkar, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ragnarkar

ragnarkar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So currently, only the regular Prius has a plug-in hybrid option.

Why not a plug-in hybrid Highlander? Or Prius v? Or Camry?

Are there any engineering complications involved in porting the "plug-in" feature to other Toyota Hybrids?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the question is: how many people will buy a plug in 'X' vehicle. the answer currently is, 'not enough'. but in time, i think we will see more. relatively easy = $5,000.:cool:

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would say cost is the main barrier, and with plug-in's sitting on dealer lots, there is not much reason at this time for Toyota to add more plug in's to it's line.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With the big incentives to move the PIPs, I don't think Toyota's in any hurry. They dropped the EVs for now, too.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think the Toyota approach will be to sell these for a couple of years, see how they should be improved, make other kinds after they get good at it with this one.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to check out Re-Involt.com website. I believe they offer to do custom conversions. Many Prius owners in the past asked Toyota to please make a Plug_in Prius even if it just got a few miles EV. So we finally got it from Toyota, but now everyone wants at least 25 miles EV. That would be really expensive Li batts. If you notice, most of the EV's/Plug_ins are smallish cars. You got the RAV EV if you want to go that way.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only real engineering concern is packaging. I imagine the v would be straight forward. Do it like the Prius, ditch the spare and under floor storage in the back for the battery. The others will result in loss of usable space somewhere. The challenge is finding the space the customer won't miss. This likely means waiting for the redesign to do it.

That assumes they'll sell. Right now the market for PHV seems to favor those with longer EV range.