1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it safe to drive 05 Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA, Jul 21, 2020.

1. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So finally after 10 months of decreased mileage my HV battery finally died at about 206k miles, was laid off from work a month ago so not big deal and I have obd2 scanner plugged in all the time as Everytime I start car it shows half battery but when engine starts battery drops to to 1 pink bar and I can drive after it charges back to half but anytime I try quick acceleration I get red triangle but car drives until I stop it completely and I have to clear codes in diagnostic mode for it to start and now I got new job that requires me to drive some 200 miles a day with stops every 20 to 30 miles and 1st stop usually 60 miles from my house, so is it safe to drive this car in my current situation with clearing codes before every start to fix red triangle, I don't want to get stuck far away from home in deep countryside where cellphone reception is not even available along my routes, any help appreciated, thank you.

2. Frijjj

Frijjj Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the HV battery is failing then it can explode if run after failure repeatedly. I've seen photos of someone doing this. You might get lucky but ideally you need to get it fixed or you could end up stuck.
    The car won't drive without a working HV battery so if it catastrophically fails it will be a problem.

3. Frijjj

Frijjj Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have hybrid assistant? Or another app that will tell you the voltages. You probably have the code for the faulty cells. A rebuilt pack could keep you going for enough time to save for a new pack.
    Dealer or New Prius Batteries would be a start.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you hear about it exploding?? The closest I heard was Gen 1 modules leaking or people charging modules outside of the pack.

You will not be able to drive with a totally failed battery. The least expensive option would be to get a Prius battery from the junkyard. Avoid 2016 and newer because most of those batteries will not work for you. Do NOT buy a reconditioned battery if you need a reliable vehicle.

With the kit of new cells backordered fir 5 months the only other alternative is a new Toyota battery from the dealer.

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    A proper charger / discharger should help you limp along for a few months if you haven’t already killed part of the battery.

A new Toyota pack is generally best

6. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use dr.prius app in Android and tested the charging condition and life expectancy and it said battery at end of life and needs immediate replacement.

Frijjj likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't leave the obd plugged in all the time

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    'Explode' not in the sense of action-movie fireball, but loud pop and bad smells from the rear, followed by opening the battery and finding the tops blown off one or more modules. Fairly widely reported on PriusChat.

Every module has an overpressure vent valve that is designed to release pressure when necessary into the collecting tubes meant to lead the caustic electrolyte outside of the car. By design, those valves are supposed to open before the top blows off the module and spews the contents into the battery case. In practice, it rarely, if ever, seems to work that way.

Frijjj likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed but they were laid off a month ago I was trying to present a less expensive alternative.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that was a Gen 1 Prius issue and then they improved the modules.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Modules "exploding" does happen with gen 2. Here's one: 2005 Prius with 193K miles and exploded battery module | PriusChat I've also replaced one that "exploded" like this. I Don't know how many times codes had been cleared on that one.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh well I guess I am out of luck, newpriusbatteries website says next restocking is today and hopefully will be shipped 1st week of August as stated by the rep via email couple weeks ago

13. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Idk if my battery completely dead because whenever I start it up I have half level but once engine starts the charge level goes down to 1 bar and I usually put car in drive with brake applied and floor down has and it helps charge fully in less than a minute (I am aware it's not possible for a good battery) and that way I can drive slowly and always making sure engine never turns off and it helps me from getting codes and red triangle, but my question is once engine starts to run the gear and even if battery is low it shows that graphic that battery charge is not being used to drive but a quick acceleration does drain battery fully in an instant and I am always hearing for fan turning on as I am expecting hot battery but it never turns on, and btw is it possible to somehow change the car to work like a regular gas car by bypassing HV drive module. And what is wrong in leaving obd module plugged in all the time in the port?

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not all of them are smart enough to switch themselves off when you aren't driving the car.

The car does not (cannot, by federal law) cut power to the port, so all devices must either have switches or be smart enough to turn themselves off, or they will cashier your 12v battery in short order.

Be sure you're ready to risk a flat battery episode for your choice of OBD module.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No it is not possible. The transaxle has the motors embedded in it and the gas engine connects to that. You need the traction battery to start the engine anyway. The small 12 volt battery just boots up the computers and closes the relay allowing the big traction battery to function.

16. LINGARAJU GOTTUMUKKALA

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure but I have the obd that emits 2.4ghz wifi instead of Bluetooth to which I connect and it flashes lights when it is connected and some type of activity going on and once disconnected it just one red light that it is powered on and once I turn off vehicle all obd lights also go off as well but thank you for clarifying.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some have reported that leaving an obd connected can make the computers confused. might depend on the device, idk

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think @Mendel Leisk had that happen. No issues after removing the device.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    why ? it doesnt stay on with the ign off does it ?