1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it the battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bleumax, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Bleumax

Bleumax New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi all

This has always been a helpful place, I hope I can find some help now.

Today the check engine light, the red triangle all went on. I popped in at a local tire place, they did a scan and found an error referring to the inverter cooler pump. I went to another service station, they found nothing, then they found a Sun Sensor failure, but they also said it could be the main battery.

Drove home, check lights still on, parked the car for a few hours, and went to restart it - the battery is down at the bottom showing two pink bars - never saw that before. I’m scared to drive the thing now.

I don’t have an OBD app - I’ll get one I think - so I can’t look at voltages on the cells, and my local dealer is frankly an donkey.

I’m thinking it’s a bad battery, and I’m thinking $1600 to get Green Bean Battery to just come in and take care of it. The car is a 2009 with 98k on it.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Once you get the codes read by a proper code reader, post the codes up for review;).

If it’s a battery code, is it still under warranty? If so and it’s a battery code, it’s new battery time:)

If it’s the inverter pump, that’s easy enough to change. But if it’s the battery, the codes will point in that direction.

I would stay away from rebuilt batteries, especially at the price quoted, and go with a new battery as the mileage is low and it’s got plenty of life left;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW/FYI
    I have had experiences on codes with a good local mechanic and much hardship in finding.....if that is not a option I have also used O Reillys auto parts borrowed a OBD2 scantool with state DL recorded codes … done internet search of codes and so on

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the codes are not reporting a battery issue, why would you assume it's the battery? The donkeys at your dealership actually will fix your car for less than the $1600 you are willing to spend to fix a problem that isn't a problem (yet)

strawbrad and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the first place you went said it was an inverter pump failure and the second place you went said it might be the battery. I would tend to believe the first guy. “It might be” does not sound too informative.

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is so easy to check. With the car running remove the cap from the inverter coolant reservoir. That's located next to the inverter about dead center under the hood. You should see the coolant moving. If the coolant is still the pump is not working.

Skibob likes this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also the "sun sensor" code is present on most Prii. It's a programming mistake by the firmware engineers that assume you'll never park in a garage.

05PreeUs and Skibob like this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? That’s the one code that comes up in my Prius. “Passenger side sun sensor”. And I park in a basement garage, a Vampire could live down there.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The problem is the sensor tries to adjust the HVAC based on the "solar radiation" which is fancy speak for light. It's just a stupid photodiode. But if it is too dark (or too light) or transitions from dark to light too quickly different codes can be logged as errors. Outside in the sun all day should never be too bright. Shining your flashlight right on the sensor, may be. Parking in a vampire cave, too dark. Parking in a normal garage and driving out quickly into the bright sun, transition too quickly. I've heard numbers of 50% to 80% of Prii have this error. Really it's just every vehicle that has ever parked in a less-than bright garage vs those that always park outside.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vampire cave to full sun in about 15 seconds. Just a short drive up the ramp.

11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome!

At least you had enough sense to get it looked at almost immediately. The inverter coolant pump is a common fault, may have been there from a prior repair and not cleared after a repair was made, but who knows. If coolant is circulating thru the inverter cooler circuit, the pump is working, I would drive it after clearing that code.

That is suggestive of a bad HV pack, but it may just be a module to two within the pack that are actually the cause.

2K1Toaster sells new cells for about that, IMO a better deal in the longer run.

Skibob likes this.
  12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He might not be able to do it himself, but he might be able to get someone to do it for him if he gives them the old batteries. That would beat a refurbished pack for the same price.