1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it time to get solar panels?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Jnbrown, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have noticed my gas & electric bill creeping up.
    Super off peak electricity is now 31 cents per KWH hear in San Diego which I think is highest in the U.S.
    I got an estimate maybe 5 years ago when I bought my Prime and it was about $7K for solar panels.
    I figured it would take me 7 years to break even and decided not to go ahead.
    My utility SDG&E is now at 40% renewable energy so that is also a consideration.
    Another confounding factor is utility companies keep wanting to charge more for those with solar panels making it less attractive over the long term. I am 64 so not that many years left to amortize the cost of solar panels.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes:
    https://tariff.sdge.com/tm2/ssi/inc_elec_rates_res.html

Have you done much in the way of conservation? I started my DIY solar installation 9 years ago, expanding to net-zero 2 years later. But significant energy conservation efforts to my all-electric home started 16 years ago, and ended up cutting total energy to just half of what it used during the 1990s. This also halved the solar capacity needed to reach net-zero.

Conservation measures included updated appliances, numerous building envelope improvements to improve insulation and infiltration, and improved management of solar heat gain. In my climate, the later mostly means maximizing winter solar heat gain to offset space heating. Though it also meant creating shade over a sliding patio door to keep our several days :) of intense summer heat from flooding in through the glass. The solar panels also partially shade the roof, reducing attic temperatures and the amount of heat radiating down into the living space.

We actually had some surplus solar capacity. I had intended to use that surplus (along with some more added solar modules) for a future PHEV, but laziness and lack of travel during the pandemic caused our energy use to creep up enough to consume that surplus. When a plug-in vehicle finally arrives and we need to start purchasing electric energy again, I have several other conservation upgrades in mind to help reduce it.

3. RovinRon

RovinRon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wait a minute!! I'm 81 and still going strong!! We put them on our winter home here in AZ several years ago and we will be caught up within the next 3-4 years. At the time we we got them, it made more sense for us to buy, but you need to check that out for todays deals. I would say go for it!

4. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Do it, 64 years is young and 7 years till breakeven is really good. I assume California has net metering?

I got an 8kW system last year. In terms of suitability for solar Massachusetts is of course much worse than CA and I also have some trees shading the morning and evening sun. My system is predicted to have paid for itself after 10 years with a conservative assumption of a 3% yearly electricity cost increase. The system is warrantied for 25 years and after 20 years I will have made 100% profit, that's a safe 3.5% return, much better than government bonds with their negative real yields that you'd likely own in a retirement portfolio tailored for your age.

Apart from federal and state tax subsidies, the biggest subsidy is net metering. Here in MA it's 20 years guaranteed for the utility to take my excess energy at the same rate that I have to pay when they deliver to me. Since I don't have to build a costly infrastructure for transmission and base load guarantees, that's a stunning subsidy that is basically paid by other electricity customers. Since more and more people are getting solar, expect the costs for that to rise, further putting upward pressure on the electricity price until at some point this subsidy will have to stop for new customers.

#4 yaun, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm 68. I put in solar last spring. If my rates were as high as yours, I'd have done it a long time ago. Well, actually, I would have moved. :D

Merkey likes this.
  6. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am having somebody coming to give me an estimate.
    If it is $10K or under I will probably go ahead.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For how many kW? $10k won't get you much.

Mine was about $3.38 per watt before the federal tax credit. If your's is similar, $10k would only get you about 3 kW. But with California prices being what they are, that seems optimistic. But then you folks get all sorts of rebates to give you back some of the money the state takes away if you play nice with them. And there is still the 26% federal tax credit. That dropped my price to about $2.50/kW.

8. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Best time to get solar is always 10 years ago

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup!!!

Second best time is now. ;)

10. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You should read this before investing in solar in California at this time. I'm not sure it's too late, but solar could become not a good investment in the near future. MIKE KLEEMAN - Blog

11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The #1 thing that is and always was needed is a legal right at the federal level to be “off grid”

The Amish are generally allowed to be off grid even in areas that ban being disconnected from electric.

By allowing you a guarantee to be off grid you then have choice and leverage over bad policy

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You haven't said how many kWh per year you use, or the size of system you want or would aim for. Without those, we can't make any cost judgements.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone has the right to be off grid and always had the right. Apparently not all states honor that right.

14. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Being off grid in New England in the winter on solar alone sounds like a truly Thoreau'ish experience though.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I have wood and a corn burning furnace

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle: