1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it totaled?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JT89, Aug 3, 2016.

1. JT89

JT89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I've had my 2015 Prius Persona for almost 2 years. A few weeks ago a guy blindsided me and tore up the front in, cracked the windshield and from what I could tell bent the frame. The damage was to the point we couldn't move the car because it was rubbing on the tire. Unfortunately my car is still sitting in a lot waiting on his insurance to do something.
    I got a curious phone call this morning from a Auto Auction facility in Ohio asking if I had personal items in the car that needed to be removed. When I asked what was going on with the car, they quickly said that the insurance adjuster needed to contact me and hung up. I've already had the front bumper replaced before because a semi tire came off in front of me on the interstate and tore half of the front bumper off. I took it to a body shop i used with a previous vehicle and they did a decent job, but a few months later I could tell the paint didn't match the blizzard pearl and the paint was also peeling several places. So I know they didn't use OEM parts. Being that this car is a lease it needs to look like it did previously because I don't want to get hit with wear and tear fees because some a hole was on his phone and hit me.
    What do you guys think? Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated!

JT

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not even close to total. My guess it is a ~$3K -3.5K repair job.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was a very strange phone call. do you know where your car is?

4. JT89

JT89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The front bumper was $2000 to replace last year by itself.It was a very strange call. As of a few hours ago the car was still in the lot it was towed to after the accident.

bisco likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe you better make sure you take anything of value out of your car before someone else does.

I think it's not possible to tell from the photo if it's a total. Nobody can tell what damage is underneath. But it's pretty easy to total a Prius, because it's designed to crumple to absorb impact.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, forgot my manners. welcome! all the best with repairs or new car.(y)

7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome to PC.

Looks bad. Might be a total if the engine/systems have serious damage. Good luck with everything.

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome !
    But ouch, what a mess.
    Does the diver's side door not close correctly anymore ? ( looks like that)
    Frame straightening would surely add to your bill.
    Given that odd call, I would also quickly remove all papers and anything of real value from car just to be safe .

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OMG, I would say the best thing is that you came out of it with your life. That is the most important thing.

As a outsider looking in, it seems to me that no matter who is at fault both insurance companies should have been notified by now and be working together to resolve the situation. Basically what happens is that estimates are made and then a determination is made if the vehicle is repairable or not.

A few weeks have gone by and nothing seems to be happening other than a strange phone call. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would be contacting my insurance agent and find out what is going on. Furthermore, I would not leave any important paper work and or valuables in the vehicle. If the leasing company has not been notified of the accident, I also think they should be brought into the picture. Chances are they already know, but there is not enough information being shared here to really know exactly what is going on.

Is the car totalled? That question would be very hard to answer based on the pictures. Surely their is damage that is not visible to the naked eye. As said above, frame damage will drive the cost up dramatically. But there are too many factors involved to be able to say yes or no to the question of total loss at this time based on the known information.

Best of luck to everyone involved and to @JT89 I say "Welcome to Prius Chat".

10. JT89

JT89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's definitely a cluster mess. Turns out the call came from whomever my insurance company uses to hold vehicles so they don't rack up storage costs. I really wish they would've shared that with me on the phone though, because I spent the afternoon taking everything out of my car when My insurance had it towed this evening to their lot.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the windscreen cracked because the frame was bent, or was it hit by the deformed bonnet/hood?

What about the suspension?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to add a little levity: judging by the picture, the whole car is completely warped. :)

Hard to say if it's totaled. I sustained a somewhat similar hit, but at the rear corner. Wheel pushed in, rear cross beam ended up being replaced. With a hit to the front suspension, possible frame damage, the windshield, hood, possible under-the-hood damage, it might be close.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It does appear to be twisted, but the angle of the shot can be misleading. It would be better viewed looking down the side from back to front, etc. rather than from the side IMO.

14. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm confused -- do you have collision coverage on this car ? Do you have rental coverage?

What has occurred in the past two weeks? The hit is in a very vulnerable spot .. it could very easily be totaled. Fixing the body at that point could be in the 10k range + the unknown

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Glad you're okay. Let your insurance company make the determination whether or not the car is totaled.